Experience with NuCanoe?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not sure where to put this thread. The watercraft forums seem geared toward lubrication issues as much as anything else. This is really more of an outdoor recreational thread.

Anyway, does anyone have personal experience with the NuCanoe brand? I like what I see on their website, and there's one for sale close by (used) that I may be interested in, a 12' Classic model. I currently have a Sea Eagle inflatable PaddleSki which doesn't offer a lot of back support, and I'm not sure that many popular kayak platforms do either. This NuCanoe looks interesting, and very versatile.

Or are there are other close alternatives? I'm a beginning paddler looking for recreation and exercise. Taking it to the ocean would certainly be fun, but would not be a regular event by a long shot. We have a lake within a few miles of our house that I'd use extensively, though.

http://www.nucanoe.com/

I'm assuming the price of a roto molded canoe is a lot less than the 800 you'd spend on a royalex canoe, and obviously it would be a lot less than the 2 grand or so a kevlar would cost. To be blunt it will be a lot heavier than either, and 12' is pretty short for a canoe. Also, being double walled it will be a bit wider and therefore a little harder to paddle. So I'd really insist on a test paddle to see if it meets your needs.

So for recreational use once or twice a year it's probably a good buy. If you're planning on regular use something like a kevlar wenonah canoe would weigh half as much and paddle with half the effort, for probably four times the price.

I don't really see how a 12' canoe is versitile since it's only big enough for one person, and you're so much higher off the water it will only be good in flat water. A 15' canoe can hold two which opens up a lot of activities, and a kayak would be able to handle a lot rougher water. Be warned, though, if you look at larger canoes. Canoeing is tough on a marriage, it's right up there with riding a tandem bike.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back