Best oil for a long road trip?

Status
Not open for further replies.
In a 4.3L 262ci GM V6, 1993 or 1994 version, what would perhaps be the best oil for a long road trip? Assume the car will be operated for many hours at once, 2200 miles or so.

A long road trip is the best thing for an engine, use your favorite oil in the recommended grade and enjoy the trip.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
A long road trip is the best thing for an engine, use your favorite oil in the recommended grade and enjoy the trip.

+1 ,

Unless your towing or have a "very heavy car" and going super super fast.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Voltmaster

+1 ,

Unless your towing or have a "very heavy car" and going super super fast.

What have you been using up until this point? Use that.
smile.gif

Any freshly changed SN rated conventional 5/10w-30 and a new oil filter will be good to go for 6,000 miles/6 months as long as its not driven under 'severe service' conditions.

If it doesn't leak externally or consume much I would use PP 5w/10w30. Its cheap (Walmart). Maybe get a couple of mpg. Will perform well in the heat of extended operation, keep the engine clean and... wont have to change it when you get home. If it leaks or consumes I would use my personal favorite M1 HM 5w/10w30/40 syn. Or some other HM oil like Maxlife is good too.

Any oil would work fine. Highway driving is not stressful on oil (unless you are towing or driving through mountain passes all day long).

Just carry a QT or two of extra oil so you do not need to buy a QT of some PQIA listed "Lone Star" or similar oil from a gas station that has not changed in 50 years.

Originally Posted By: tig1
Same oil you have been using for short trips.

+1; there is no need to use a "special" oil for a long trip. I have towed for thousands of miles with the same oil that I use everyday and the UOAs are always the same.

No need to overthink it...

+1. Some of the best UOAs Ive seen in the past on the 4.3 have been running Pennzoil, including PYB.

PYB with LC20 would be my pick. Alternately Maxlife with LC20.

Typically I would have recommended the AC Ultraguard Gold PF52, but I have a Fram super ultra shrinkwrapped special (forget the actual real name), and Ive been happy. Its the only non-delco filter (PF52 or UPF52) that doesnt caue a startup tick for 5-10 seconds at cold temperatures...

The OEM manual for extreme conditions usually says to change the OCI not the grade of the oil.

If you are doing lots of heavy towing on that trip then a thicker grade such as 5w40 may be warranted.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back