13,000 mile update: Goodyear Wrangler Radial

Status
Not open for further replies.
I figured now would be a good time for an update on the Goodyear Wrangler Radials I bought last summer because I had to rotate them.

I got these tires against the advice of many BITOGers, who were right about many things, but for $390 installed after tax, I still have a hard time complaining too much about them.

The tires started cupping recently in the front, which I kind of figured would happen with a chunky older style tread pattern on my truck. Wrangler RT/S tires that were factory installed on many Rangers tend to do the same thing in about as many miles. The rears were wearing evenly, so it's nothing regular rotations won't take care of. I rotate tires as needed. Still, if you have a bouncy truck suspension as most vehicles that run 235/75R15s do, expect some abnormal wear.

The cupping made the tires loud, but the rotation took care of that. These are surprisingly quiet tires when they are wearing evenly. Any abnormalities and they sound like mud tires.

Wet traction on smooth asphalt is pretty terrible with these, but they did okay in light snow/slush. They are also fairly good on loose dirt and gravel, but I haven't tried them in any deep mud. On dry pavement, they ride fairly soft probably due to the sidewalls, but also make the handling kind of mushy compared to the Destination A/Ts I had before.

There are already UV/dry rot cracks at the outer edge of the tread. I'm not worried about it, but this is the earliest I have seen any tire develop cracks like this.

The tires seem to have a good, even bead as they do not leak any air. Pressure only changes with temp.

At the rate they are wearing, I expect at least 30K miles which is decent for this truck. It has gone through some tires as quickly as 20K (Continentals).

Overall, they are a cheap tire that performs good enough in most aspects and only somewhat bad in a couple. A $600-700 set of tires will perform much better in every way, but for $390 installed I don't have buyer's remorse. I went in with low expectations and the tires have exceeded those. They are a good value for an older truck, especially one with an appetite for tires, that can run the only size which is 235/75R15.

These are made in the USA by the way, they are not China tires.

IMG_2703_zpsc959f6bd.jpg

IMG_2704_zps92cbb9d1.jpg

IMG_2706_zps85b917a0.jpg

IMG_2708_zpsee12416d.jpg

I wasn't too happy w/ the Goodyear Fortera Tripletreds' treadlife which are twice the cost of your Wranglers.

If they are still covered under warranty have them prorated for some Michelin LTX M/S2s' or AT2s'. I think you'll have improved service from them.

Hello,

When I bought my 2002 Ford Ranger (new), it had the:
Goodyear Wrangler 235 / 75R15 Tire

Summer 2012: Replaced tires / 105,393 miles.
Alignment was within spec.
Never any uneven thread wear.

I had no hesitation buying the same tires.
$127.98 per tire.

Good morning, and thanks for the update!

I wouldn't worry about the tread cracking. It almost appears to be "stress cracking" more than environmental damage. And by that, I mean that the front toe on your truck might be a hair aggressive, causing the tires to run side-loaded all the time. This is also evidenced by the wear pattern on the outer edge of the tires in the pictures. It looks like you just recently rotated the fronts to the back. See in the outer tread siping, how one side of it looks "pulled up" and one side looks pushed down? This is very typical of vehicles with a healthy amount of toe, and my own vehicles do this as well. Toe in delivers good steering response and straight-line stability, but at the direct expense of tire wear like this. Nothing necessarily to correct, but just an observation.

As you noted, wet traction is pretty poor, and there ARE better tires out there. But you recognize their shortcomings and apparently drive with those in mind. Good way to maximize your dollar spent.

They aren't excellent tires, but for what you pay, they are great tires. I do like those tires as a nostalgia of sorts; every jeep for nearly 20 years came with them!

They do decent off road, for what they are. Obviously, there are better tires, but not too bad. Last year I rode with a guy in a stock Cherokee that was holding his own with those tires.

It does look like your truck is a bit out of alignment. A downside to IFS trucks ... can't keep them in alignment.

Originally Posted By: Chris142
My jeep came with the GSA's. I could not wait to get those off of it.

The GSAs are horrible in ... everything.

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd
Good morning, and thanks for the update!

I wouldn't worry about the tread cracking. It almost appears to be "stress cracking" more than environmental damage. And by that, I mean that the front toe on your truck might be a hair aggressive, causing the tires to run side-loaded all the time. This is also evidenced by the wear pattern on the outer edge of the tires in the pictures. It looks like you just recently rotated the fronts to the back. See in the outer tread siping, how one side of it looks "pulled up" and one side looks pushed down? This is very typical of vehicles with a healthy amount of toe, and my own vehicles do this as well. Toe in delivers good steering response and straight-line stability, but at the direct expense of tire wear like this. Nothing necessarily to correct, but just an observation.

As you noted, wet traction is pretty poor, and there ARE better tires out there. But you recognize their shortcomings and apparently drive with those in mind. Good way to maximize your dollar spent.

Thanks for the explanation. I'm not well versed in the finer points of alignments.

And as Miller suggested, it may be slightly out of alignment. Birmingham is pot hole city and sometimes there isn't much you can do but wait for the THUD. The abnormal wear is at least uniformly abnormal though, with both sides wearing the same.

You should see the cracks on my 5 year old Viva 2's. Perhaps the worst I've seen even on tires that old. Have almost 45k not sure if I want to run them to 60k.

Those cracks can also be caused by the roads if you drive on the grooved surfaces. These tires are a bit more resistant to that than others though by the tread pattern. I had these on my montero and theylook like an aggressive tread pattern. They would climb a hill near me about half way and then spin until I put in 4wd. I got a set of Toyo street looking tires and they go all the way up in 2wd no spinning. Was hard for me to believe by the tread design these look way more aggressive.

Update: these stupid tires have about 22K miles on them now and are still in really good shape. I haven't rotated them again. At this rate they may do 40K miles, though if rain traction gets too scary before then they'll have to go.

my 2002 had the wrangler rt/s which were the worst truck tires I've ever run. by a large margin

I think I would have passed and went for something 100$ more or so like toyo AT II's

but if you are happy thats all that matters.

^^^Just remember that OEM tires are often quite different than what we buy over the counter in the aftermarket, even if labeled similarly...

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Rand
my 2002 had the wrangler rt/s which were the worst truck tires I've ever run. by a large margin

I think I would have passed and went for something 100$ more or so like toyo AT II's

but if you are happy thats all that matters.

These are different from the RT/S, not to say better, but it's a totally different tread design. A lot of people were not thrilled with the factory RT/S tires on trucks that had the torsion bar suspension.

There wasn't really anything for $100 more out the door that was a whole lot better. I was looking at $200+ more out the door to get truly better tires.

These stupid things have over 20K miles on them and are still doing really well. I may get 40K miles out of them, which would be the longest this truck has worn a set of tires. These don't even look 50% worn yet. Wet traction is still awful, everything else is still passable. I have not rotated them again...they are quiet and wearing evenly right now.

Honestly, I would probably buy these again. I will definitely shop around next time, but if nothing else comes close in price again, Wrangler Radials it is. These really are a great option for a beater truck that runs 235/75R15.

Treadwright!
laugh.gif
Had the same size on my Cherokee...had a bit less than half tread with 30K miles, good in the rain, great in the snow. The non-Kedge Grip will go longer.

A likely cause of the original cupping is worn shocks. New shocks and an alignment may pay off. Check for other worn suspension parts.

We've been seeing reports of shoddy alignment jobs. Demand a print out of the results, and tell them ahead of time that you want all the settings to be in the middle of the spec, not just "in spec." A particular make and model vehicle might do better with the setting at a particular point in the spec, but if you don't have this info, demand the middle of the spec.

Originally Posted By: Jarlaxle
Treadwright!
laugh.gif
Had the same size on my Cherokee...had a bit less than half tread with 30K miles, good in the rain, great in the snow. The non-Kedge Grip will go longer.

They still make their copy of the Goodyear Wrangler Radial, I believe.

My treadwrights wore pretty quick in the front ... apparently having a few degrees of toe-in will do that
frown.gif

Originally Posted By: Ken2
A likely cause of the original cupping is worn shocks. New shocks and an alignment may pay off. Check for other worn suspension parts.

We've been seeing reports of shoddy alignment jobs. Demand a print out of the results, and tell them ahead of time that you want all the settings to be in the middle of the spec, not just "in spec." A particular make and model vehicle might do better with the setting at a particular point in the spec, but if you don't have this info, demand the middle of the spec.

It got shocks, ball joints, and an alignment within a couple hundred miles of the tires being put on. It wasn't real out of whack beforehand, the ball joints weren't even bad yet, but the boots had been torn a while.

I don't think I got a printout of the alignment, but the shop that did it is a very reputable indy shop. The truck tracks very straight.

Originally Posted By: Jarlaxle
Treadwright!
laugh.gif

I will look into these if I can get them locally at a good price.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back