Crank no start, 93 S10 4.3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Today is the day of diagnosis for the S10. I am driving back and forth to it with my F150. I got the brand new NAPA battery a half hour ago, and put it in. No parasitic drain, I had left a switch on. The car now cranks, but still will not start.

When I press the gas pedal, I hear this low, muted hollow noise. I was about to go get some starting fluid. My understanding is that I take the air intake tubing off, forward the throttle body (which was previously missing) and douse it. Would not start with PB, no change. Starting fluid, I wonder.

Anything else to try and check? I really want her to start.

This is a 1993 S10 and I have the 4.3 V6. CPFI or MFI, it is not the TBI.

Did I mention the S10 left me stranded in a town far from my home? So, I really need to diagnose this. Thanks so much.

*edited*

Yes, next thing I can think of is starting fluid. And I spray liberally into throttle body?

Last edited:
Fuel pump or ignition coil would be my two guesses. Be carefull with the starting fluid, you could burn your face off or blow yourself up.

when you normally start your truck or actually right before the starter engages do you normally hear the fuel pump? Can you hear it when you turn it to run now?

take the coil wire off or any plug wire and take a piece of metal with an insulated glove or insulated piece of metal and jump the wire to the block and check for spark.

The third one is the bad test. crank it over and get someone to check if air comes out the exhaust it will be minimal but if it doesnt the timing device either chain or belt i think its a chain will be broke.

good luck. an emergency roadside service cost little and will save big bucks if used pretty much at all. i just used mine the other day from a broken coil spring in the car and it saved me 60-70 $ and it costs 35 a year, no brainer. especially when the wife has one too!.

Originally Posted By: abycat
Fuel pump or ignition coil would be my two guesses. Be carefull with the starting fluid, you could burn your face off or blow yourself up.

when you normally start your truck or actually right before the starter engages do you normally hear the fuel pump? Can you hear it when you turn it to run now?

take the coil wire off or any plug wire and take a piece of metal with an insulated glove or insulated piece of metal and jump the wire to the block and check for spark.

The third one is the bad test. crank it over and get someone to check if air comes out the exhaust it will be minimal but if it doesnt the timing device either chain or belt i think its a chain will be broke.

good luck. an emergency roadside service cost little and will save big bucks if used pretty much at all. i just used mine the other day from a broken coil spring in the car and it saved me 60-70 $ and it costs 35 a year, no brainer. especially when the wife has one too!.

^^ Awesome.

I just bought some Gunk Thrust. Going to it now.

Also, I hear "air pop" noises when its trying to crank. Could it be out of time?

DSCN0933_zps40cebacb.jpg

DSCN0934_zpsabaa8efd.jpg

Ok, it will not start with starting fluid, and sounded exactly the same as without it. This with a liberal 5-second douse of starting fluid, which is basically fuel, down the TB.

Next up?

I might redo this timing chain, complete with pics. Would BITOG be willing to guide me through, assuming I post step-by-step pics? I would not be against spending the time to do the work.

^^ It is possible the new distributor is not on right, or doesn't work. I asked him to put on the new distributor cap and rotor, and he did.

Let me first check for spark, I will take a wire off a boot and see if I see spark. Though that may be hard to do if I am in the cab trying to turn it over..

*EDIT: OK. I took off the coil to distributor cap wire, had a metal piece inside and I didn't see spark jumping to it. Maybe I just have no spark. I know I have fuel, I can smell it.

Maybe I need a new coil.

Would be nice if a 2nd person turned the ey while I saw, but maybe there is simply no spark at all. That would explain things.

Last edited:
You've got to see if the fuel pump is coming on. GMs of that vintage use a computer controlled relay to prime the pump then the oil pressure switch to keep it on. If that relay goes out then the pump won't come on unless you crank a whole bunch (if that) and build up oil pressure.

This mechanic, is he a pro with a sign, shop, etc or just a back alley cash only gearhead with tools kinda guy? IMO he should be getting your truck running after the HG job.

Originally Posted By: eljefino
You've got to see if the fuel pump is coming on. GMs of that vintage use a computer controlled relay to prime the pump then the oil pressure switch to keep it on. If that relay goes out then the pump won't come on unless you crank a whole bunch (if that) and build up oil pressure.

This mechanic, is he a pro with a sign, shop, etc or just a back alley cash only gearhead with tools kinda guy? IMO he should be getting your truck running after the HG job.

It is the second of the two, the shadetree kind of fellow. I am now fending for myself and I am low on tools.

I think I may be motivated to really get to wrench on this thing, the new gaskets are there but he only charged me half what he originally wanted, so in my opinion he is a fair guy.

I am stuck in PA btw. So its a good thing I have an aquaintance out here, and my other vehicle! This is why I want to check whatever I can out. But it is pouring rain today.

Last edited:
This truck has a cam in block so you can't screw up the timing.

You can mess stuff up by putting the pushrods in wrong, valves will hang open and it won't make compression. But it won't sound normal turning over.

I'd get an inline spark tester and make sure it's sparking, who knows if some wire got jarred during the surgery. The starting fluid idea was a good one and I would expect at least a pop.

This truck has a cam in block so you can't screw up the timing.

You can mess stuff up by putting the pushrods in wrong, valves will hang open and it won't make compression. But it won't sound normal turning over.

I'd get an inline spark tester and make sure it's sparking, who knows if some wire got jarred during the surgery. The starting fluid idea was a good one and I would expect at least a pop.

I was hearing an "air pop" noise. And yes, I want to diagnose it.

Could be what you say, could be snapped timing chain (?) could be no spark, could be valves sprung open, could be some kind of an oil issue. The new battery is cranking it, I left this one hooked up and did not go disconnecting it a million times. I have no charger either. And there is no drain on the battery that I know of, no lights on or anything like that

Right now, I am utilizing my F150 to go to and fro the S10. It is pouring rain so even a simple diagnostic would frustrate me at this exact moment. However, I have the resources to really take things apart, and see.

Can we agree to see what this has in store for us?
01.gif

Also, preliminary diagnosos seems to indicate a lack of spark. I want to see where this takes me.

Last edited:
Checking Advance and Autozone for a coil. Will diagnose spark when I get a second pair of hands to turn it while I look for spark.

For heaven's sake, check the stuff that was messed with when you brought it in.

Did it have spark? Yes.

Did it have fuel? Yes.

Neither of those modules died. Some wiring to them may have been snagged or disconnected. Compression may have been compromised when one head was off but the engine should try and run on the other bank at least.

You need a very basic set of sensors to start, MAP/MAF, coolant temp, crank/distributor position, and TPS.

Does the "check engine" light go out when cranking? If so, it sees revs and should be commanding spark and fuel. If not, disregard this test-- could be complaining about low RPMs etc.

Quote:
Does the "check engine" light go out when cranking? If so, it sees revs and should be commanding spark and fuel. If not, disregard this test-- could be complaining about low RPMs etc.

I will look at the Check Engine light as it cranks. Going to go do that now!

FTR, I have never had this happen before.

At the risk of you catching your necktie in the belts, you can crank the car over yourself. Just make sure the key is on then reach down towards the starter solenoid with a long screwdriver and jump the small terminal to the big one.

At the risk of you catching your necktie in the belts, you can crank the car over yourself. Just make sure the key is on then reach down towards the starter solenoid with a long screwdriver and jump the small terminal to the big one.

Video of how the dash looks when it cranks coming at you in 5 minutes. You can also hear it a bit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back