Short wheelbases more prone to bouncy ride?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've driven a lot of different cars over the years (rentals) and I've noticed that the smaller wheelbase ones often have a more bouncy ride on the freeway. Not harsh, just seems like it jiggles a bit more. This happens on my dad's G35, and is quite noticeable in the back seat.

Does the short wheelbase make a car more prone to this? Is it because of the typical spacing of expansion seams on freeways? Just curious if this is something people get used to in their car, as well.

All other things being equal, then the answer is yes. However; those who sit 1/2 way between the front and real axels get the best ride. Ed

^ +1

But there are also other things that can significantly change a rides comfort / or lack there of.

Tires like GoodYear comforttred really do ride nicer compared to some other tires not designed for comfort. Even the air pressure has a major effect on the ride. Run them with too much air and they will have a rougher ride.

The manufactures choice of how the suspension is "sprung", plays into it a lot. Heavy springs (great for performance on turns, or hauling a lot of weight) have a rougher ride, than the same vehicle with lite springs.

In general a vehicle with leaf springs in the back will have a rough ride compared to one with springs. You can see and test this with some similar size vans and SUVs, because both of those type of vehicles are available with leaf, and spring suspension in the back.

The selection of shocks plays a big role.

Put 4 expensive shocks designed for providing a tight suspension that is great for maintaining control when racing around tight turns, and drive that every day on bad roads with many bumps, and it will not be too long before you will be cussing at your self of selecting shock that transmit every jolt of the road directly to your back.

Put 4 of the cheapest shock you can find on that same ride and it will rid much better on bumpy roads, but those shocks will not last as long.

Last edited:
Well comparin long w140, 550i,335i, Cooper S and Fiat Turbo, the last 3 ride much harsher. One of the reasons their suspension is made for performance,not comfy ride, tio hang in sharp and tight corners. First two feel like big boats, I would not say that 335i is much more comfier than short Fiat and Mini.
Same for nissan 350z-its longer, but you sit low, stiffer springs and shocks= you feel every bump with your butt.

Last edited:
Yes very much so. Hence the reason I don't enjoy the compacts and sub compact offerings. Ick.....

I'm not talking about suspension firmness/sportiness. As I said, the ride never feels harsh or punishing, it's just that it tends to bounce along on the highway -- makes some people feel nauseous.

Yes, I notice this in our Honda Element when riding in the back seat. The wheelbase on this particular vehicle is less than a Civic. In the front seat the effect is much more diminished.

It's the overall chassis tuning, not the wheelbase. I'm driving around on a fairly short 93" wheelbase and it's about as bouncy as a bag of sand.

Yes a longer wheelbase helps smooth out the ride. Suspension tuning and geometry matter but a longer wheelbase allows for a flatter ride. Longer wheelbase also helps the car track a little more stable at high speed. Most luxury cars and older American cars had a long wheelbase. A lot of them had a wheelbase around 115"-120+".

Originally Posted By: mechanicx
Most luxury cars and older American cars had a long wheelbase. A lot of them had a wheelbase around 115"-120+".

Right, now were being forced into glorified golf carts..
mad.gif

Originally Posted By: Rock_Hudstone
Most luxury cars and older American cars had a long wheelbase. A lot of them had a wheelbase around 115"-120+".

mad.gif

none stops you from buying big caddi,linkoln,MB or bimmer, they all have big long "boats". As of right now I prefer little,agile,quick and bumpy. When I get old,maybe soft and slow
smile.gif

A 1st generation Ford Bronco will always ride harsher,bouncier and give a "Buckin Bronco" ride as opposed to a long wheelbase Suburban....the spacing between the wheels,and to a large degree the added weight of the total vehicle that the additional 20-30" of wheelbase add alter ride quality and handling.

Originally Posted By: MBS500

mad.gif

none stops you from buying big caddi,linkoln,MB or bimmer, they all have big long "boats". As of right now I prefer little,agile,quick and bumpy. When I get old,maybe soft and slow
smile.gif

A long wheelbase doesn't necessarily mean boat ride and handling though. The trend is toward longer wheelbases even in true sports cars. I think 80's-early 90's it was mostly a choice between golf carts and long luxury boats, but now the suspension/chassis design has gotten smarter.

Originally Posted By: MBS500

mad.gif

smile.gif

The wonderful aspects of little cars can be enjoyed here and there. A wonderful ride is enjoyed on a daily basis. I used to be all about incredible handling in suspension and tires at the expense of ride. But then soon realized how little I use it. Not that my wife's Subaru Legacy GT wagon is the most incredible handler or most comfortable car. I soon realized it strikes a wonderful balance coupled to a 5 speed manual and willing turbo(civilized STI) motor.

I got a Camry and hated the handling and power of it as loaner while my WRX was in body shop. But then I was like ahh, pleasant vehicle to ride in not drive even when behind the wheel.

My philosphy is an everyday car or any car really can be too small, light, firm riding, noisy and twitchy, as can a car be too big, heavy, isolated and lethargic. I think there is right size, weight and tuning compromise towards the middle. Some people tend towards more of one extreme or the other. As you drive a car you get accustomed to it.

Longer cars ride on the highway better and track better, which is if your shopping European and want a highway cruiser get the L.

For around town use SWB cars are more nimble.

In the S class, A8's and XJ's its extremely noticeable.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back