String trimmers: straight vs curved shaft

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nope, I have a curved and I wish I bought a straight.

You seem to lose a lot of torque/power when the cable makes that bend. I've played with several Echo straight shaft string trimmers, all of them are more powerful and more responsive than my curved shaft string trimmer.

If I had to do it again, I'd go with the straight shaft string trimmer.

Curved shaft generally are a little shorter and cheaper.Usually only a string trimmer. I have a straight shaft stihl. I have edger and a blade I use on it also.

I think the curved shaft is more agile for running around and trimming on a lawn where power is not an issue because it is lighter and has lower inertia to dance it around a tree. Lawn trimming with a straight shaft and bicycle bars is slow going and I find a top handle straight shaft just a bit awkward. If I was mowing commercially I would have both though, the straight shaft is better for cutting areas.

I prefer curved shaft. They're usually lighter and more maneuverable. I also feel more in control; a straight shaft puts you at the pivot of a longer lever. I also prefer the rotation direction of a curved shaft (clockwise). I prefer to trim walking backwards, as I can see what I'm trimming without the trimmer head in the way (because I stand on the left side of the trimmer). A straight shaft's line spins counterclockwise, which encourages you to trim walking forward, and your view of your work is blocked by the trimmer head.

I've owned a Cub Cadet four stroke trimmer with a curved shaft for about 10 years. I think it was made by MTD. The spool wore out and I replaced the shaft with a straight one. The curved shaft made it easier to trim with a little more precession around flower beds. The straight shaft makes the unit seem more powerful. I'm tall and didn't like how the curved shaft made me bend over when trimming.

Originally Posted By: skyactiv
I've owned a Cub Cadet four stroke trimmer with a curved shaft for about 10 years. I think it was made by MTD. The spool wore out and I replaced the shaft with a straight one. The curved shaft made it easier to trim with a little more precession around flower beds. The straight shaft makes the unit seem more powerful. I'm tall and didn't like how the curved shaft made me bend over when trimming.

I had the same issue. I had a curved shaft echo and my back would be killing me afterwards. I bought a straight shaft husqvarna last summer and my back feels much better afterwards.

I have a straight one and wish I had a curved one. I used curved ones for years. I feel that for most if my near-home trimming, the straight shaft unit is too powerful and is unnecessary since it doesn't handle as well.

Of course it is all scenario dependent.

My Makita straight shaft trimmer is over 15 years old and weigh in at 9.5 lbs. It is very light but also very powerful. Can be used around a city home in tight areas but has also done some serious heavy duty over your head weed busting. Would definitely buy another if I could find it. It has a Robin motor that is incredible. I must note the string rotation is clockwise unlike one of the above posts stated. I am sure the manufacturer can make it however they want but since many use common suppliers they likely work the same way.

Personally prefer a curved shafter trimmer. A lot easier to handle, and it doesn't get a ton of use and I'm not cutting brush with it, so power isn't an issue. Plus they are cheaper too.

I have both. I have a straight shaft Echo for trimming under several 40' blue spruce trees and other places where a curved shaft will not reach. It IMO is bulky, heavy, and cumbersome to use. It would wear me out to use it on a regular basis

My go to trimmer is a WeedEater Featherlight, which was a $56 special in 2003. It is light, easy to maneuver, and starts easily every time.

Comes down to the right tool for the job.

I've got a curved shaft Troy bilt 4 stroke. It gets the job done. I had to take the guard off when I edge because I couldn't judge where I was edging. At the same time It puts my face in the path of flying clippings. I'm thinking with a straight shaft it keeps you away from flying clippings.

Hm, I have a light curve trimmer and an old hva brushcutter. I kind of "hate" that curve shaft. Flimsy and reacts strange when loaded.
Think it's all about cost, that gear house on the hva must cost as much as the whole curved trimmer.

I have two Toro expand-it powerheads and a bunch of accessories Including a straight and a curved shaft.

I use the straight for brush cutting and Curved for the lawn.

My Stihl M110 straight shaft trimmer double spline has more than enough power for commercial use. It is very comfortable as I stand at 6'2. Curved shafts are restrictive in hard to reach areas and are generally intended for personal light duty use.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back