Liqui Moly Ceratec

I also worry about the filling of pores chromium (porous) coating of upper compression ring with particles of ammonium molybdate and boron nitride having a size commensurate with the pore size (0.2 mkm). Your opinion?

Last edited:
I've used both cera-tec and mos2. The ceratec needs to be used less often whereas the mos2 needs a full treatment then only half treatments at every subsequent oil change.
I've also used both. I used the ceratec first and ran a 10000 mile interval then used the mos2 at every oil change.
I get better than EPA fuel consumption estimates and the motor has more than 265000kms on it. It consumes no oil whatsoever and engine runs as good as new.
I cannot say with any scientific certainty that the ceratec reduces wear in my engine but I can say that the theory on how it works is sound and liqui-moly is a top notch company with credibility,so I believe their claims.

Wow. Thread resurrection.
K. Well I've already posted on this thread months ago and this post is my update.

Last edited:
Thanks for the update Clevy! How many km's out of the 265 have you been using the moly products? Sounds like your engine is proof that the stuff does work. I've only used the M0S2 so far. I found that it made my engine run a little quieter and seemed smoother. I thought this would be good extra protection for my '04 Prius, as the engine is constantly stopping and starting with the electric motor. Hope you guys get an early Spring in the the Praries....

Last edited:
Thanks Dino
I've only put 25000 of those 265000 on however there is no question in my mind that the mos2 has increased my mileage,and made the engine far more quiet.
Once I get the 4v dynotuned I will be using ceratec first,the mos2 again.
Can't get it tuned til may,I'm going half crazy. I want to liquefy the tires on that mustang. Hehehe.
Put me on your buddies list. I'll update you as I discover or experience things as they come.

Remember Clevy when Skyship said before he left that he was going to test Ceratec? He had started out here completely against all oil supplements and drive around engine cleaners but right before he left he said he was going to use Ceratec.

Originally Posted By: Mystic
Remember Clevy when Skyship said before he left that he was going to test Ceratec? He had started out here completely against all oil supplements and drive around engine cleaners but right before he left he said he was going to use Ceratec.

There was post from him on ZF forum, he has odd sense of humour because it said he had recommended it to cause what were called, "Bobs children" to spend their pocket money on. I presume the joke was it was Liquis Moly most expensive product.

I might try it next year once I finish testing different Zinc levels, but can't change two things at same time. They send me free product if I post them test data after.

Ceretec contains Moly, Boron and Ceramic particle suspension. It does not last 50K km, as that was joke from their marketing man. He even wrote a message to one user saying for full effect use every OCI, it was copied to ZF forum by Skyship.
I will have to read data sheet again, because if you don't change the oil for 50K km, then it's true. It might be a minor translation error, as lasting effect does not mean it works after the oil is changed.

Will do. I've been using the M0S2 and am quite positive about it. Engine seems to run smoother and noticed a slight increase in mpg. Definitely a non scientific observation, but still, I'm happy with the stuff. I'm going to look into using the Ceratec. I'm assuming that LM calls ceratec 'Motor Protect' in the North American market, as this is all I can find on their web site....

http://www.liqui-moly.us/liquimoly/produktdb.nsf/id/us_2053.html?Opendocument&land=US

Also, Clevy, out of curiosity do you use any kind of fuel additives? I've tried the Lucas fuel treatment and it seems to to add a little low end torque, plus I'm assuming it would be a little extra protection with its lubricating properties...

Last edited:
Ceretec is not Motorprotect, very different product!
Price seems to vary a lot.
I never confuse engine sound with actual wear rates, very complex subject, but many engines that go bang sound real good just before. Had a turbo go bang right next to me once and an engine run out of oil and never heard a thing until about one second before main block filed in a big way. Cold start rattles are more of concern than hot ones and Cery does have a reputation with old German VW TDI owners for noise reduction, when Moly on its own does not tend to reduce noise.

I know some UOA results were published that showed good results in wear metal reduction, but they were only single results from different engines, so not good enough in statistical terms.
First part of sensible additives test is to find best oil for a particular engine, use it for 3 OCI's to draw graph, then use additive long enough to allow for seasonal changes etc, then back to original oil for cross check. Probably 6 UOA results to even get close to a conclusion.

PS. Remember non OEM adds might invalidate warranty and quality control or API / ACEA regs are not applicable. You can bottle used industrial solvents, start a nice web site and place some advertising around the Net without breaching any laws that can be enforced in the USA or the EU.

Some OEM recommended or big oil company fuel additives do work OK and good idea if fuel quality poor or injection system sensitive to lubrication issues.

Last edited:
Ceretec and Motor Protect in Germany.

Cery only for sale in Germany, not as expensive as I thought, BUT must add serious shipping costs. Skyship probably still laughing about men that fly on plane to get box full!
Probably should not mention his name as serious red flag to Russians and Mobil M1 sellers for reasons I not understand fully.
I use Castrol at present, but will try new Mobil diesel oil next because it's cheaper and big engine oil price war on Net in EU. Castrol undercut LM, then Mobil followed example, Shell not involved as not enough Internet dealers available yet. Price of engine oil down by one third in last 6 months I guess, but only on Net.

PS. I don't understand why the big oilers don't sell top of range products in the US, I presume they are too expensive. HM oils something of an exception as they are difficult to find in Germany, but easy in US.

Cery data sheet linky

Now I warn about the legal English terms engineering interpretation.

1/Mixable with all commercially available motor oils
Does not mean mixes without side effects.
2/Stable even under high thermal and dynamic permanent loads
How stable?
3/No deposits and absolutely compatible with all commonly used filter systems
OK
4/Resists extremely high and low temperatures
How well?
5/- Reduces fuel consumption
OK, but so does thin oil!
6/- Increases engine service life
OK, BUT Impossible to base legal action if not true and no definition of service life included.
7/- Increases smooth operation
OK, but do they mean noise or vibration, definition required
8/- Stable under extreme pressures
How stable?
9/- Chemically inert
When mixed with what?
10/- Higher performance gain due to reduced friction
No definition of performance included.
11/- Does not increase the phosphorous and sulfur content of the motor oil
OK, does not contain Zinc etc.
12/- Tested with catalytic converters and diesel particle filter
No results, so could have been worse? Tested is one interesting word!

LM are good German company and lead the world in some after market additives, BUT, very, very few buyers need to be using their products and would save money finding different type of oil.
All 12 claims made above might well be good, BUT they do not have to be, as they are written in terms approved by legal man who is probably much smarter than average reader.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Bodensee
Ceretec and Motor Protect in Germany.

Cery only for sale in Germany, not as expensive as I thought, BUT must add serious shipping costs. Skyship probably still laughing about men that fly on plane to get box full!
Probably should not mention his name as serious red flag to Russians and Mobil M1 sellers for reasons I not understand fully.
I use Castrol at present, but will try new Mobil diesel oil next because it's cheaper and big engine oil price war on Net in EU. Castrol undercut LM, then Mobil followed example, Shell not involved as not enough Internet dealers available yet. Price of engine oil down by one third in last 6 months I guess, but only on Net.

PS. I don't understand why the big oilers don't sell top of range products in the US, I presume they are too expensive. HM oils something of an exception as they are difficult to find in Germany, but easy in US.

Now let me get this straight-mention of Skyship's name is serious 'red flag' to Russians and Mobil 1 sellers!

Last edited:

Oh yes. I remember although I think he was just humouring us.
Looks like skyship,I mean Bodensee here knows the guy,bet he sees his reflection in the mirror every day.
Anyways motor protect and ceratec are different products as skyship already pointed out. Oops,I mean Bodensee.
Everything liqui-moly makes is great and I would have no problems using anything they sell.

You see what Bodensee said about the Russians and Mobil 1 sellers above? That mention of Skyship's name was a 'red flag' to the Russians and Mobil 1 sellers? I hardly think that Skyship is a threat or whatever to the Russians. But if he somehow was I think the Russians would take care of that.

I don't know if Bodensee is trying to be humorous or really believes all this stuff, but as long as he does not start talking about gold dust as an additive in motor oil I guess it is okay.

You see what Bodensee said about the Russians and Mobil 1 sellers above? That mention of Skyship's name was a 'red flag' to the Russians and Mobil 1 sellers? I hardly think that Skyship is a threat or whatever to the Russians. But if he somehow was I think the Russians would take care of that.

I don't know if Bodensee is trying to be humorous or really believes all this stuff, but as long as he does not start talking about gold dust as an additive in motor oil I guess it is okay.

I just spit coffee all over my windshield.
Thanks. Yep. That and these engine flush caused a runaway stuff.
Or those chaps testing that non additzed tranny fluid in buses and stuff.
That guy was so out to lunch he was on a skyship to space.
Right Bodensee.

I don't know if Bodensee and Skyship are the same guy or not but they are starting to sound the same. Skyship with his gold dust additive for motor oil, his good old chaps testing additives one at a time in 30 weight and 40 weight oil, his riding on the bus testing transmission fluids, and his runaway turbo car, and Bodesee telling us that Skyship is a 'red flag' to the Russians and Mobil 1 sellers!

But don't get the wrong idea-Trav is from Germany and he is one of our best guys here.

Mystic. Check his other posts. Word for word it's skyship. Not that I really care as long as he doesn't revert to the absurdity he used to post.
Live and let live right

Yes, live and let live. If it is Skyship returned I don't really care. But Skyship's original message that he tried to get us all to accept really was not a bad message for many people-read the owner's manual, do all necessary maintenance, use high quality motor oil and have reasonable OCIs, and don't use oil supplements. That is really not a bad message for most new car buyers.

But then before he left Skyship started to talk about all the weird stuff like gold dust in motor oil. Well, Bodensee is already talking about Skyship being a 'red flag' to the Russians and Mobil 1 sellers. Some pretty strange stuff.

Bodensee, you said mention of Skyship's name was a serious 'red flag' to the Russians and Mobil 1 sellers. What exactly do you mean?

Back