Fram Ultra / Purolator Pure One

Status
Not open for further replies.
So im planning on doing my first oil change (myself, as opposed to the mechanic). And im wondering what filter I should use...Ive narrowed it down to Fram Ultra or Purolator PureOne...I like the Fram Ultra because it has synthetic media but im afraid it has poor oil flow because of the fact that its dual layer...Im also considering Purolator PureOne...Just want to know which will have better oil flow. Im new to oil filters and oil changes. ALSO, should i use Castrol Edge, or Mobil 1. The mechanics have used edge in my car for my oil changes, but if Mobil 1 is better ill be glad to switch, i want the BEST cold/dry start/short trip protection. including the filter. please share your knowledge/recommendation. Im still a newbie to all of this =P

Originally Posted By: michaelluscher
If you want pureone flow but good quality media.
Puro Syn?

Well, i saw that one and its too expensive for me....i just need something for 5000 miles, does the fram ultra have good flow? or would the PureOne have better flow? Really i need the best cold start/short trip protection. thats all my car sees really

You seem to be bent on flow.
Unless your using 20w-50 in a 4 cylinder Honda, the flow between a PureONE and a fram ultra is negligible.
I'm partial to the Purolator as they can be had on amazon for under $6.

Originally Posted By: 147_Grain
With the correct weight of oil, flow is a non-issue.

I do use the correct weight, but my driving consists of lots of cold starts (not as in cold temp outside but the car is not up to operating temp and the oil is cooled off) and lots of short trip driving and stop and go city. Not the ideal conditions under any means, and i know that some oil filters are restrictive, so when i start the car im worried that with a restrictive filter the oil wont circulate quickly and the engine will not have lubrication for that time period. With all the cold starts i do, i want the engine to have lubrication ASAP!! i just want to use the BEST filter for my driving style. Just want to know weather the Fram Ultra, or Purolator PureOne is better for my situation, oil will be changed at 5000 or sooner, yes i know thats early spare me the rants, just which filter is better for my situation. Which is better quality with better flow and better filtration. THANKS! =)

Go with the pureone and m1. Or any syn. puro classic and pure one filters, differ more on filtration than flow. Better filtration on pure one. Plus i think they are only a buck or two more i believe.

Quote:
please share your knowledge/recommendation. Im still a newbie to all of this =P

Quote:
oil will be changed at 5000 or sooner, yes i know thats early spare me the rants

33.gif

What oil weight are you using? Considering the fact you are in Florida..syn oil should flow very quickly. I dont think the filter you use is going to make much difference. Fram or Puro. Others have used dino oil for hundreds of thousands of miles and have had no issues. I think changing oil regularly is more important than whether you use syn or dino oil and what filter you use.

Originally Posted By: Darren270
Quote:
please share your knowledge/recommendation. Im still a newbie to all of this =P

Quote:
oil will be changed at 5000 or sooner, yes i know thats early spare me the rants

33.gif

i just dont want to do extended drains and it seems like everyone pushes to do extended drains thats all.

If you don't like to extend drain interval to take advantage of synthetic oil, then Pennzoil Yellow Box or Mobil Super or almost any brand name dino will be more than adequate for 5k OCI. Purolator Pure One also more than adequate for that short OCI.

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
If you don't like to extend drain interval to take advantage of synthetic oil, then Pennzoil Yellow Box or Mobil Super or almost any brand name dino will be more than adequate for 5k OCI. Purolator Pure One also more than adequate for that short OCI.

Ok thanks for the advice...but the ill continue to use synthetic, just because of the superior protection it offers. I think ill continue to use the castrol after doing more research, it the new titanium any better? and is the Fram Ultra a BETTER filter? I know both are adequate, but which is BETTER?

Use the Fram Ultra and stop posting with basically the same question for the 3rd time. You are way to paranoid about this whole thing. How long have you been driving and not even known (or cared) what type of filter or oil is in your car? If you are anything like me you probably didn't care that much as long as you changed the oil when the MM came on.

DON'T OVERTHINK THIS!!

Use the FRAM ULTRA and try it out, it is a top notch filter and the synthetic media will flow well. You could even keep it on for TWO whole OCI's!! That will come later as you realize we all are overthinking this stuff...lol

take care

Originally Posted By: chubbs1
Use the Fram Ultra and stop posting with basically the same question for the 3rd time. You are way to paranoid about this whole thing. How long have you been driving and not even known (or cared) what type of filter or oil is in your car? If you are anything like me you probably didn't care that much as long as you changed the oil when the MM came on.

DON'T OVERTHINK THIS!!

Use the FRAM ULTRA and try it out, it is a top notch filter and the synthetic media will flow well. You could even keep it on for TWO whole OCI's!! That will come later as you realize we all are overthinking this stuff...lol

take care

Sorry Chubbs, i know im paranoid, im OCD about lots of things actually. i really just want the best for my car. i take very good care of my things. And i want/need it to last me a good solid while. it already has 110K miles and i would like to to last (reliably and smoothly) for another 110K. My bad

Originally Posted By: crazyoildude
i use the classic i like flow!
everyone says something different but my oil gauges never lie!

So does the Fram Ultra or PureOne have bad flow? vs the classic?

Last edited:
Neither is a bad filter and neither is better than the other. Don't be afraid to choose either one. You literally can not make a bad choice between those two filters.

Originally Posted By: gregk24
Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR

Ok thanks for the advice...but the ill continue to use synthetic, just because of the superior protection it offers. I think ill continue to use the castrol after doing more research, it the new titanium any better? and is the Fram Ultra a BETTER filter? I know both are adequate, but which is BETTER?

Based on your planned OCI there is no "superior protection" by using synthetic; just "superior cost" -- not trying to beat you up; just to point that out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back