Castrol Edge or Mobil 1?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So in 4500 miles when my oil is due for a change Im going to attempt to change my oil for the first time...Do you recommend Catrol Edge or Mobil 1? and why, i do lots of sort trips, cold starts. What filter also? nothing too expensive filter wise, under $10 is good. I will change the oil anywhere from 3000-5000 miles. Car is 2006 Honda Accord 2.4 LX with 110,000 miles

Originally Posted By: gregk24
So in 4500 miles when my oil is due for a change Im going to attempt to change my oil for the first time...Do you recommend Catrol Edge or Mobil 1? and why, i do lots of sort trips, cold starts. What filter also? nothing too expensive filter wise, under $10 is good. I will change the oil anywhere from 3000-5000 miles. Car is 2006 Honda Accord 2.4 LX with 110,000 miles

Which one does your Accord car feel better on?

It will be said that you cannot feel the difference in oils, but either one of those is fine.

And I can't imagine Castrol Edge would win in a comparison with Mobil 1. I can't see that happening. Too much good in Mobil 1.

For 5000 mile intervals or less I don't suggest a synthetic at all. If you want to use M1 its capable of double that interval and I not suggest any castrol except German castrol 0w-30,at the same 10000 mile interval.
For 5000 miles or less grab whatever conventional is on sale. Pennzoil yellow bottle,Mobil super,valvoline white bottle etc. All are more than capable of 5000 mile drains.

Originally Posted By: Clevy
For 5000 mile intervals or less I don't suggest a synthetic at all. If you want to use M1 its capable of double that interval and I not suggest any castrol except German castrol 0w-30,at the same 10000 mile interval.
For 5000 miles or less grab whatever conventional is on sale. Pennzoil yellow bottle,Mobil super,valvoline white bottle etc. All are more than capable of 5000 mile drains.

Well i like to use synthetic because of all the short trips i do, and doesnt synthetic cling to parts better? and flows better and quicker when you start your car....my car wears more because of all the short trips i do, most people drive to work and drive more than 3.5 miles like i do then drive back, i do at least 5 starts a day, most of those the car has cooled off. and starting your car does the most wear. so ill use synthetic, and i change it "early" because the car doesnt always get up to operating temp so there will be fuel and condensation in the oil that doesnt burn off, so i like to get all that flushed out

Any oil, syn or dino and Castrol or Mobil 1 or any brand name, will be more than adequate for 3000-5000 miles OCI.

There is an UOA with dino Mobil Super 5000 at 10k miles and the result is excellent.

It doesn't really matter at all but go with Mobil 1. Castrol is a mediocre blender that spends more on marketing than actually making a top notch product. IMO.

Their product data sheets are pretty basic too. Think with your dipstick buddy.

Originally Posted By: gregk24

I had a 94 Accord with the 2.2L Engine, which I sold at 415,xxx km on the odometer. Accord engines are tough. From what I've learned on this website, I would go for the Mobil 1 hands down. It does a better job at cleaning the varnish and sludge out of your engine. I've used Castrol Edge as well. I will post pictures soon with the valve cover removed on my wife's 97 Civic which is using Mobil 1 currently. I could not believe how well the oil removed the sludge and varnish. You could also go with using Mobil 5000.

Regards, JC.

You asked this question before. If you are interested in the "cold start knock" in FL spring weather I would take the advise to get a good filter. Get the M1 oil/filter combo special and try it out. Just keep your eyes peeled at AAP or AZ this or next month and they should be due for a sale. Your engine will run forever on either of those oils. The filter is usually the cause of startup "knock or tick"

For such a short drain you don't even need synthetic, but Napa has their brand synthetic on sale for $3.49/qt until the 30th. It is Synpower.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back