Valvoline VR1 10w-40

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello all,

My engine builder instructed me to purchase Valvoline VR1 10w-40 now that the engine is broken in. Problem is I can't find this exact type of oil in the USA. It is sold in Australia and New Zealand.

The engine has a flat tappet and 13:1 compression. I was told high zinc oil is best. Can any of you recommend the next closest thing to Valvoline VR1 10w-40? Unless you can help me locate this oil in the USA.

Other information that may be helpful:
440 stroked to 496
I live where the elevation is +/- 100'
The summers days are typically mid 90's, sometimes 105

Thank you all.

welcome2.gif

I am thinking that M1 HM would be a good fit here. It is a full synthetic, SL rated zinc, high HT/HS, and easily bought.

Mobil 1 Racing is available as 0w30 or 0w50, and has very high ZDDP levels. You could blend it in a 1:1 ratio to get a "light" 0w40. Or, run the 0w50 straight.

Originally Posted By: oliver88
mix half and half VR1 10w30 and VR1 20w50

That was exactly what I was going to suggest. It probably ends up being more like a 15w40, but it's good enough for the California climate.

I just bought 10 qts of it on clearance at Autozone for $2.00 a quart so I think it may be getting discontinued... Great oil, seems to work excellent in my high mileage F150.

Royal Purple HPS 10W40 or XPR Racing 41. I'd avoid the M1 10W40 if you need a high zddp oil,as VOA has shown the new SN rated version is "watered down" and has the zddp levels of a 10W30 starburst oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back