Honda VFR800 Interceptor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey all,

While riding into work this morning I realized it's been about 6,000 miles (and 2 years!) since the last oil change on my bike. I'm running Mobil 1, full syn (I forget the viscosity), with a K&N oil filter. Oil color isn't quite "black" but is getting there. Level is perfect.

I called the local bike shop and they only sell Amsoil. I run Mobil 1 in all my vehicles, but need to change the oil in the bike TODAY. Is this something I should consider (with the Amsoil) or should I check Pep Boys for Mobil 1?

I live here in PA and ride in spring, summer, and fall. The coldest I ride is 30*, the warmest has been 102*. I do take the bike to the drag strip once or twice a year. It's used 95% as a daily commuter/weekend cruiser. Nothing crazy. It seems 10w40 is recommended for the bike. Does that sound right for my environment and driving style?

Thanks!

10w-40 is right on.

You can use any motorcycle-specific 10w-40. Mobil 1 makes not that's available all over. I was using Rotella T6. There's a $5/gal rebate, which brings the gallon cost to $18. I'd change it every year. The rebate is good for two gallons, so get one for next year too.

Originally Posted By: Bandito440
10w-40 is right on.

You can use any motorcycle-specific 10w-40. Mobil 1 makes not that's available all over. I was using Rotella T6. There's a $5/gal rebate, which brings the gallon cost to $18. I'd change it every year. The rebate is good for two gallons, so get one for next year too.

Thanks! I've seen some posts with guys running the 5w40 Rotella T6. Do you have a preference between that and the 10w40?

I'd just run the T6. $18 after the rebate is a great price. Tractor Supply had rebate forms yesterday when I was there. I'm not sure if Wal-Mart had rebates.

Annual oil and filter changes though. I wouldn't run T6 for two years.

Say what you want Amsoil makes some of the best bike oil out there. They have a white paper on their site to back it up.

Ask the bike shop you trust with your bike why they use Amsoil?

6k/2 years on a non- synthetic M1 - thats nasty - you hate the bike? I'd do the AMSoil, I loved M1 4T but not the new (not REAL synthetic) VISOM formula . I would ABSOLUTELY try a bike specific real syn AMSoil if you are planning to continue with an "every 2 year OCI".

Last edited:
Never go by color when it comes to oil changes. Some turn black faster than others, but that is not an accurate way to gauge the "health" of the oil.

Mobil 1 motorcycle oil can be found all over from most parts stores to many Wal Marts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back