Hot water heater lifespan

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have been a little concern with my hot water heater leaking as it has been a while since I last replaced it. My present hot water heater was manufactured in 1994, I didnt think it was that long ago. I guess I am due to swap it out. How long do they normally last.

10 to 12 years...more if you've changed the sacrificial anode...

You're doing exceptionally well with one at 19 years in service...I would change it just to be safe...they make a mess when they go...

My current WH was installed about 6-7 years ago, the previous WH lasted from 1971 until it was changed in 2006-2007, so it lasted about 35 years without any service

It will go 1 day into your next away from home vacation.....

I got a Whirlpool @ Lowes a few years ago for $301 w/ 12 year warranty. US made IIRC. Certainly won't break the bank for a little peace of mind. The previous one was over 15 years old AO Smith I believe.

OT:It is important to turn off your water, if you have that option, when you go on vacation.

Last edited:
I think it depends upon the quality of the glass lining. I believe there are different levels for how long the tank will last.

I know at one apt. complex they replaces the tank whenever anything in it goes wrong, like the element.

my parents had a Rheem with a 30yr warranty. It went 4 days past the 30years, my parents had the receipt still and Rheem took care of them.

The life of the water heater also depends on the location of the country because of the acidity of the water that goes into it. My sister and BIL in New Mexico have some rental property and they consider themselves lucky if they get 7 years out of one.

Here our electric company will give you a new hot water heater free of charge up to 80 gallons every 7 years.

Gas company too will give you a free gas water heater if you change from an electric one to natural gas.

You may want to check with them and see what specials they offer.

Oh, thanks for the reminder.
frown.gif
Ours is 17 years old and we have very hard water.

IMHO it depends on (a) how much hot water you use from your tank; and (b) how long the warranty (directly related to the anode rods and also tank liner (to a lesser extent).

shortly after I moved into our house, our AOSmith "skinny" 40Gal gas tank blew (just shy of 4 yrs of service for a 6yr tank). Apparently, previous house owner has 4 daughters + wifey that used hot water on an hourly basis (yeah, wash hair, body scrub, etc.)....

I've just replaced it with a full-sized GeeEee(Rheem) with 12yr warranty ....lifetime replacement by Home Deport.

Q.

Depends on where it's leaking. Some times the pressure relief valve will leak. But if it leaks out the bottom then it's time to buy a new one.

I have a water softener and am on fairly hard well water. I take the anodes out because it reacts with the water and stinks. But I get about 20 years to a gas one.

Adding extra insulation also keeps the cycles down.

Originally Posted By: Kruse
The life of the water heater also depends on the location of the country because of the acidity of the water that goes into it. My sister and BIL in New Mexico have some rental property and they consider themselves lucky if they get 7 years out of one.

Very true, I just replaced our water heater last month and it was 7 years old. The plumber said it went 3 years beyond most in our town due to the water quality, and we have a water softener as do most people here.

My friend about a mile way in the same town here has replaced three water heaters in the past 15 years.

Our propane AO Smith water heater was new in 1995 and I replaced it in 2008 or 2009. Not only was it getting old, but I wanted to replace it with a new Geospring hybrid. Not only were they on sale, but there was an added 10% discount where I purchased it which brought the initial price down to $1,100. The energy tax credit knocked another $300 off and our electric provider had a $150 rebate, so our initial cost worked out to about $650.

We've seen significant savings in our propane bill once we made the swap to an electric hybrid, but didn't see a noticeable increase in our electric bill. When we originally ran the estimated numbers it was approximately 3 years for it to save the $650 cost, and we are well past that so we're seeing significant savings over the old water heater.

Keep that in mind when you make your switch-not only can you prevent possible issues, but there are ways to save a fair amount of money over a standard gas water heater.

And don't forget-if your water system is closed then you should consider an expansion tank. An expansion tank can also lengthen the life of your water heater.

Originally Posted By: Vikas
I have yet to see gas fired hot water heater with more than 10 years warranty.

Then you haven't looked much. Most now have either a 6 or 12 year warranty. A company called Fast Water Heaters on the west coast has a model with a 15 year warranty.

Our 40 gallon Rheem lasted 12 years, we had to replace 1 heating element but other than that it was fine. We just upgraded to a GE 50 gallon and its much better, it even has a fan that blows out ice cold air when its heating up the water. It was a $1000 water heater, we got it for free! yes free it was a rebate deal gulf power had going on and we get a $300 tax credit next year. annual cost is like $107 compaired to the $400 annual cost on the old Rheem.

our house is on rural water. we get normally 7-10 years.

my barn water heater is on well water. I get 3-5 years on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back