Oil mixing with coolant, and sealer questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have oil mixing with coolant, or vice versa. Oil looks like watery coffee without the cream in it, upon draining; looks dark at first, then turns as if milk has been poured in. I have not put antifreeze in this motor. Due to lack of funds, I have tried a variety of sealers. The Liquid Glass ended up int eh oil, there is oil mixing with coolant. Compression seems to be reappearing, and I have figured out that running with the cap off generally avoids it from blowing.

I have some questions about sealers, since at this point it is what I can do. It is either a cracked water jacket, cracked block, or bad HG. Coolant appears to spew from the cylinder closest to the drivers side firewall.

So, let us begin.

Q1 - When letting the Blue Devil or whatever else sealer dry, is it best to let as much air get to where the leak is as possible? I drained the oil to try to help it seal. A good move? In previous times, I let most of the coolant out by letting off the lower hose. The only reason I didn't this time is because the (slightly oily) water now has Blue Devil in it. Again, which is better, letting ti dry overnight with no oil and drain plug off, or coolant? And for how long?

Q2 - Today, in an effort to get the somewhat pressurized leak to seal the most, I let the Blue Devil circulate for slightly more than an hour with the spark plug wire going to Cylinder #5 off from the distributor cap. This kept that cylinder from firing. Did this help the Blue Devil circulate to that part of the water jacket, to seal it?

Q3 - Related to Q2, I also had the cap off. No coolant (water) spilled out. Again, a good thing?

Q4 - I also have been putting in oil sealers. No signs of mixing on the cap. Will a thicker oil help me? A high mileage? I imagine the thicker oils will raise oil pressure, and that may be good, the engine has a typewriter sound to it indicating one lifter may be starved. I have 5W-30 in there now.

Also, how involved would a head gasket repair be? Could everything be cleaned up, and reinstalled? The engine still runs and runs well, it turns out the tick noise I was hearing was the spark arcing on Cyl. #5 when the leak sprung, and it was getting wet. I put some Permatex Ultra Black, only a small amount, where that occured. The gasket seems to be missing around the exhaust header there.

So, let us talk about sealers, and how to maximize their chance at success. May need to go to Caldwell soon.

Originally Posted By: Trav
What engine is this?

I think it is a 1991 but it's a 4.3 from Chevrolet

It runs ok, aside from this mixing business.
confused.gif
Trying to try some things and go some routes to get the engine back to good. Not perfect, but good as in no mixing and no spewing. I also can not get the spark plug boot off that cylinder, it is stuck on so I have not yet been able to pull the plugs.

The last few times driven with the cap off, there was no water spewing from around what appeared to be the exhaust manifold at that cylinder with the stuck plug boot. That is also the cylinder I applied the Permatex Ultra Black to.

You either have a crack in the head or block or blown gasket.

Have you checked the compression?

Go to a forum specific to that vehicle and ask about likely problems. Many engines or heads crack in the same place.

that engine needs to come apart to fix it. Mechanic in a bottle is not a fix.

Good thing about an OHV engine like this is the
Head gaskets don't disturb the timing chain or belt--
There is no such thing. Just pushrods and rocker arms.
Open a Haynes or Chilton's manual.
Or find your motor on youtube.
Lots of good resources out there. Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back