New Tires: How soon to Interstate Driving?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, I am going to get my new Goodyear tires soon(set of 4). I'm getting them at a SAM's club about an hour away. I'm going to go there via a back roads route because one of my current tires are smaller than the others. On the way back I was thinking about driving home via the interstate, about a 40 mile distance.

I do not know when the last alignment was done on this vehicle but plan on having one done after I get my new tires.

I'm wondering:
Is it safe to immediately go on the interstate with brand new tires?
If my car is not properly aligned, will 40 miles of interstate screw my tires?
Any other things to note about new tires?

If you let go of your steering wheel and you're still in your lane a second later, your alignment is good enough for 40 miles of interstate.

Bummer, as you know, that you can't get the alignment on your odd sized old tires.

With new tires I like to heat cycle them as soon as I can. Your 40 miles drive should do this well. Then let them sit for at least 12 hours to let them recoup.

They will last longer this way. See what the Tire Rack has to say: Heat cycle

Originally Posted By: eljefino
If you let go of your steering wheel and you're still in your lane a second later, your alignment is good enough for 40 miles of interstate.

Bummer, as you know, that you can't get the alignment on your odd sized old tires.

He could have bad alignment yet still drive straight in the lane.

Having said that, 40 miles inside going to do a thing for them. They will still have those new tire hairs sticking out when he's home.

Originally Posted By: JasonTL

I'm wondering:
Is it safe to immediately go on the interstate with brand new tires?
If my car is not properly aligned, will 40 miles of interstate screw my tires?
Any other things to note about new tires?

Yes.
No.
Usually they're not as grippy for the first 500 miles or so, as any manufacturing remnants wear off.

I took my newly installed tires on the highway and did a top speed run with only a few miles on them (wanted to make sure the balance was done right). New tires are pretty much good to go right outta the box. I wouldn't worry about a thing.

I think Artem is correct. Except for motorcycle tires. We put a hundred miles on them before we hit curves too hard to get the mold release agent, aka silicone, off them. Then they are good to go hard.

I personally don't like the litte pointy things on the new rear tires.
1st/2nd gear @ 6000RPM @ 2MPH takes care of those pesky rough riding little pointy things.

I think you're over thinking things a little too much. Here are my thoughts..

-I would have no problem taking brand new tires immediately on the interstate.
-40 miles on the interstate without a proper alignment won't cause any problems, at all.

The only thing I would note is what tire rack says below.
"Tires are comprised of many layers of rubber, steel and fabric. Due to these different components, your new tires require a break-in period to ensure that they deliver their normal ride quality and maximum performance. As tires are cured, a release lubricant is applied to prevent them from sticking in their mold. Some of the lubricant stays on the surface of your tires, reducing traction until it is worn away. Five hundred miles of easy acceleration, cornering and braking will allow the mold release lubricant to wear off, allowing the other tire components to begin working together. It is also important to note that your old tires probably had very little tread depth remaining when you felt it was time to replace them. As any autocrosser or racer who has tread rubber shaved off of his tires will tell you, low tread depth tires respond more quickly. Don't be surprised if your new tires are a little slower to respond (even if you use the exact same tire as before). Their new, full depth brings with it a little more tread squirm until they wear down."
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=5

Change the inflating component every 5k miles and always refill with Nitrogen gas and ceramic coated gold dust.
shocked2.gif

Last edited:
Most tire places and a few manufacturers recommend that you check the torque on the lug-nuts 50-100 miles after installation or rotation.

Originally Posted By: oldhp
I personally don't like the litte pointy things on the new rear tires.
1st/2nd gear @ 6000RPM @ 2MPH takes care of those pesky rough riding little pointy things.

19.gif
lol.gif

Originally Posted By: LotI
With new tires I like to heat cycle them as soon as I can. Your 40 miles drive should do this well. Then let them sit for at least 12 hours to let them recoup.

They will last longer this way. See what the Tire Rack has to say: Heat cycle

How does heat cycling TRACK tires relate to a standard passenger all-season, I wonder.

Originally Posted By: toneydoc
Except for motorcycle tires. We put a hundred miles on them before we hit curves too hard to get the mold release agent, aka silicone, off them. Then they are good to go hard.
Some mc tire makers are using a non-slippery release agent or maybe no agent--anyway they are less slick out of the store. Taking it easy for the first hundred is always wise.

Thanks everyone.

I do plan to have an alignment done but as was mentioned I can't have it done with the odd tire. I'm glad that 40 miles won't be a problem. I'll probably be going 50-60mph for the first couple hundred miles on them anyways. I will make sure to get the alignment soon after getting the new set though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back