opinion on wal-mart super Tech gas treatment

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have been useing Wal-mart Super tech gas treatment by the directions,and I do not have any problems,I would just like to know If anyone else has tried it and what did it do for them ? Its for adding everytank full, its not the injector cleaner or carb injector
confused.gif
cleaner. Thanks

You know I really would rather not use anything, but sometimes you get a little rough Idle or hessitation and when you add a can of something it seems to clear it up, but maybe your right it would clear up anyway.

I tihnk most people here would think thats a waste of money because theres not enough stuff in it to make a difference when compared to actual proven stuff like regane, techron, fuel power, etc

just a comparison for ya..

a 1 galon jug of FP60, is about $40 delivered to your door.

it will treat about 600 galons of gas at 1oz/5galon.

at a ratio of 1 bottle of the wallyworld stuff to every 10 galons of gas, you would spend ~$55-$60 to treat the same 600 galons. (depending on how much you are paying for it there, plus sales tax possibly)

FP60 is not only better, it's also cheaper than other addatives.

Not cheaper than MMO, approx $18 for 600 gallons of gas (after which you will have spent $1200+ on the gas, of course!

I've read all the FAQs, heard lots of people say they think it's great, but I've still never actually seen a decent explanation of what FP does, or how it does it.

As for the WM stuff I have no idea how good it is. I use MMO as a upper cylinder lube/coating in every tank, but still run a bottle of Techron as a cleaner every 5k or so. Some engines are particularly susceptible to deposits, some are not.

- Glenn

Glenn ,is that Marvel mystery oil you use, I have a gallon of it in my shed, but its about 10 years old .should I get rid of it or use it for my chain saws, I omce tried it whaen I was a kid and my old ford smoked a lot. I dont know if it did any good .

Say glenn again do you use the MMO in your crankcase with oil as well as put it in your gas tank?

Yes, Marvel Mystery Oil. I'm not an expert so you might want to do a search here, but seems to be generally acknowledged that when used as recommended it does what it says it will. In particular it will have a cleaning effect when used in oil or gas, and a lubricating effect on the top end when mixed in gas.

I haven't used it in my oil, and I'm sure it would thin it slightly, but in recommended amounts, especially in cold weather, I don't think it would do any harm, and it should help clean out the engine.

I don't THINK a ten year old bottle would have degraded if it was stored with a tight lid, although I understand the formula was changed not long ago. I'd use it.

- Glenn

Ok thanks ,I bet I can mix it with my gas for my 2cycle weed whacker engine mounted on my model rc airplane.
 -

At one time, maybe 50 years ago, an aftermarket "top cylinder oiler was offered to the motoring public, using, I think Marvel Mystery Oil.
I wonder what ever happened to that.

I add nothing to my cars, and haven't for years ; no problems.

Yes earthworm , can there be any justification to these additives, because now your diluting the natural oil, anyway this is always my question, when I use gasline antifreez or slick 50 or gas system cleaner, I dont really see any difference in the running of my car someone once said a gas additive can seep through the rings into the crankcase oil and dilute it causeing other problems,its always a question in conversation, did it really work, can you prove it?

I put a few ounces in my 08 explorer 6 cyl and a day later got a CEL for multiple cylinder misfires. Ive put Lucas in the same vehicle on several occasions without incident. Could be a coincidence or maybe bad gas but Im not putting that back in anything but a mower. I have used the supertech seafoam clone without incident in other vehicles in our fleet.

I like GUMOUT Fuel System Cleaner, use it every few months or before going on a long hi speed trip.
thumbsup2.gif

Why are you using this additive? Do you have a fuel-related problem? Don't try to fix something that is not broken! Maybe if your engine is hesitating or idling rough, additives can help. Or maybe there is a vacuum leak. Or maybe it just needs a tune-up or new fuel filter. Proper diagnosis would be my recommendation.

Most top-tier gasolines contain everything needed to maintain a healthy fuel system and do not need any more additives. Oil companies usually spend a lot of money and time developing their formulas for fuel and motor oils, but the DIYer always thinks he can make them better. Maybe we can, but is any perceived or real benefit worth the cost? There are exceptions such as long-term storage, ethanol (water), bad gas, etc. Additives can be very helpful with these situations. Fuel system cleaners are OK for occasional maintenance if you really want to use them, but again, additives should not be required if the engine is getting regular maintenance.

Sometimes a good hard flogging will make an engine run better, this is known as an "Italian tune up" and it works mostly for cars that are driven like grandma all the time or engines that only see occasional use (sit for long periods). It just blows some of the accumulated carbon out of the combustion chambers. Also, it is fun.

The local tire shop recently recommended a fuel system cleaning for $110 based only on my vehicle mileage. I can't blame them for trying but they aren't getting my $110. It runs smooth with strong power and good fuel economy, it doesn't need the treatment. I do use Lucas in the gas every couple months, a family member bought me a gallon as a gift awhile back and I'm working through it slowly.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back