Best oil for a 2004 Toyota Prius....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi guys. Just bought an '04 Prius. Toyota in North America says 5w30 with 5k oc, everywhere else they recommend 0w20 synthetic. I'm looking for maximum engine life with good fuel mileage. Instead of using questionable 0w20 for fuel mileage I was thinking of 5w30 high quality synthetic with a 7k oc with filter for maximum engine life, and for extra fuel efficiency I was going to add half a bottle of MoS2–Anti-Friction which they claim is also good for engine life. One other thing I was thinking about adding a half a quart of synthetic lucas oil stabilizer. This is because the Prius engine is always cutting out and starting because it's a hybrid. I thought the Lucas would help the oil cling to the metal during engine stops. What do you guys think? Thanks in advance. Yay, my first post here!

I know, but I've heard other posters say that it's too light and won't maximize engine life. Maybe they don't know what they're talking about. I'm too much of a noob to know one way or the other I guess....
confused.gif

Ok, thanks, I'll skip the Lucas. But I believe the M0S2 would still be a good choice maybe with 5w30 Mobil 1 or Red line....

Toyota only specs 5w30 for the Gen II (04-09) Prius, 0w20 is spec-ed for the Gen III (2010-newer). Use your favorite 5w30 and change it every 5,000 miles (8,000km) per the scheduled maintenance guide. Some of the higher-mileage Prii will consume oil, so be sure to check your oil level regularly.

Thanks Critic, do you think the Moly is a waste of time? They 'say' it can reduce engine wear by fifty percent which would decrease eventual oil loss...

Originally Posted By: dino33
Thanks Critic, do you think the Moly is a waste of time? They 'say' it can reduce engine wear by fifty percent which would decrease eventual oil loss...

Properly balanced additive systems are key to performance, not a disproportionate amount of a single ingredient. So no - I would advise against adding additives by aftermarket vendors; let additive companies and oil blenders work together in formulating lubricants.

Also, for a early Gen II Prius, you may want to get on priuschat and read up on some of the issues which you may need to soon watch for. Examples include combo meter failure, MFD failure, left axle seal leaks, inverter pump failure (# of failures makes me want to carry a spare one at all times, lol), and the necessity of replacing the transaxle fluid (despite the lifetime fill claim).

Welcome to the Prius family...I have a 2011 myself.

Hi guys. Just bought an '04 Prius. Toyota in North America says 5w30 with 5k oc, everywhere else they recommend 0w20 synthetic. I'm looking for maximum engine life with good fuel mileage. Instead of using questionable 0w20 for fuel mileage I was thinking of 5w30 high quality synthetic with a 7k oc with filter for maximum engine life, and for extra fuel efficiency I was going to add half a bottle of MoS2–Anti-Friction which they claim is also good for engine life. One other thing I was thinking about adding a half a quart of synthetic lucas oil stabilizer. This is because the Prius engine is always cutting out and starting because it's a hybrid. I thought the Lucas would help the oil cling to the metal during engine stops. What do you guys think? Thanks in advance. Yay, my first post here!

Wouldn't worry about the cling. I've seen engines sit over a whole winter that still have oil clinged to surfaces.

OP, if you are worried about mileage your hybrid operating ability will more than make up for any anti-friction (claiming) additives. Learning how to properly operate your Prius in an efficient fashion will get you all the mileage you need without costing you anything.

Well, proper hybrid operation will require you to take more time getting from A to B. One of the best mileage tips is to simply slow down. The rest of that is that the hybrid system operates optimally at slightly below posted speeds.

I can always get better mpgs on the wife's 2009 Prius simply because her foot is heavier than mine.

A friend uses M1 5-30 in his 04 Prius with over 200K. He does 10K OCIs and the engine is clean and runs great. Other parts of the car have been trouble at times.

Originally Posted By: The Critic
Toyota only specs 5w30 for the Gen II (04-09) Prius, 0w20 is spec-ed for the Gen III (2010-newer). Use your favorite 5w30 and change it every 5,000 miles (8,000km) per the scheduled maintenance guide. Some of the higher-mileage Prii will consume oil, so be sure to check your oil level regularly.

+1.

I'd go with MaxLife, Mobil 1, Pennzoil Platinum 5w30 here.

Properly balanced additive systems are key to performance, not a disproportionate amount of a single ingredient. So no - I would advise against adding additives by aftermarket vendors; let additive companies and oil blenders work together in formulating lubricants.

Good advice. Finally someone gets the idea that chemists formulated the proper amount of what you need in the bottles of oil you purchase and that unless you're a chemist you don't know what you're doing.
grin.gif

Ok, thanks, I'll skip the Lucas. But I believe the M0S2 would still be a good choice maybe with 5w30 Mobil 1 or Red line....
NO MoS2 either - bunch of junk where I used it. Tried it and almost ruined my Fit engine. MoS2 does not belong in an engine sump. It is not used in ANY spec motor oil and for good reason! I have a 2/3 bottle of liquimoly engine additiv if any one wants it.

It appears 5W-20 is back spec'd for the Prius from 2001 as well as 0W20 from 2004

Toyota Oil Chart

Originally Posted By: buster

+1.

I'd go with MaxLife, Mobil 1, Pennzoil Platinum 5w30 here.

Exactly so!

Originally Posted By: tenderloin

It appears 5W-20 is back spec'd for the Prius from 2001 as well as 0W20 from 2004

Toyota Oil Chart

This chart has been floating around the internet for years, but no dealer nor any technicians have been able to verify this information in the US via the TIS portal. So, I'm considering it to be bunk.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back