Kia Optima Trans Fluid - Dump and Fill

Well, its that time again. I checked my transmission fluid when I did my spring oil change last weekend, and the fluid is pretty dark, especially for only being a year old. Man, I do not like SP3. I do a lot of stop-and-go driving, which is not helping the situation.

I purchased 4 quarts of SP3 from the dealer for 9.95/qt. I also have purchased 5 qts of Valvoline Import Multi-Vehicle, for 5.99/qt which is a full Synthetic. The 3rd change is to be determined.

So, my question is:
Do I do my first drain and fill with the KIA fluid, and then the Valvoline IMV so my final ratio is 50% synthetic, in the hopes that I am happy with the Valvoline product.
OR
Do I go with the Valvoline first, see if it is a good product, and if it is, try to return the SP3, and continue with the Valvoline. If I find the fluid unsuitable, use the SP3, and buy more SP3, and just try to do one drain and fill once a year?

Before somebody mentions MaxLife, let me say that is is off the table. I tried it Kia last year, and I didn't like it. The shifts were too soft, which in my mind, equals more clutch wear. But, before I am accused of being a MaxLife hater, I did use is successfully in my 98 Mercury sable from 60,000 miles to when I got rid of it at 192,000 miles, with pan drains and filter replacements every 30,000 miles. I had 0 transmission issues during that time, and I am sure I wasted plenty of good fluid with my frequent fluid swaps. I wish I could use it in the Kia, but I just don't like the way it feels.

I wish my 2011 Optima had a transmission plug! It supposedly is sealed for life.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: cb450sc
I wish my 2011 Optima had a transmission plug! It supposedly is sealed for life.

Still need to change that fluid out. I think Dodge in the 60's said atf/rearend fluid was lifetime. Ha ha ha.

I am currently running the Eneos SP in my 04 Elantra and it is SPIII specific. Seems to be good stuff. No issues and it is not a multi-spec fluid.

I did 3 drain and fills about a year ago. Eneos SP was one of them. I did consider going straight Eneos SP this time, but the fluid turned so dark over the course of the year, I'm hesitant to run a non-synthetic again. I need something that stands up to oxidation a little better.

A few weeks ago I did 3 drain and fills in my 2005 Kia Sedona with Eneos SP...went through 12 qts. The ATF was $4.29/qt. at Napa and was on their shelf, easy to purchase. No problems so far, the ATF hadn't been changed before, van had about 150,000 miles on it.

Is it necessarily bad if ATF turns dark color in a year? As long as it's working properly I don't really care what color it is.

Last edited:
I have owned 3 Hyundai/Kia vehicles and the SPIII turns dark pretty quickly. May just be a characteristic of that fluid. I have always just done drain and fills about every 30k and never had any trans problems with any of them. Actually I've never had ANY problems more serious than a valve cover gasket leak or 02 sensor on any of my Hyundai/Kia's. They have all been pretty good cars.

if you have a turbo then much earlier, say 30K. if you have 2.4 NA then early then dump and fill after 50 or so or at least ff out by 60. My flush was "ok" by dealer but looked dark and sparkly to me at 22K. SPH-IV was $360 for 12 qt and labor plus a bg flush and treatment kit.

it does have a fill plug, a dump plug and a weep hole. what it does not have is a dip stick, or tube (hole).

Originally Posted By: LineArrayNut

it does have a fill plug, a dump plug and a weep hole. what it does not have is a dip stick, or tube (hole).

I have looked under the engine and have asked the Kia mechanics. They say there is no drain plug on the Optima from 2011 on and that I would have to do a pan drop. The older Optima's had them. If you could provide a pic of its location I would greatly appreciate it.

I did one drain and fill yesterday in the Kia. I decided to go with Valvoline Import Multi-Vehicle this time around. Kia doesn't post the specs on the fluid, but Eneos does on its ENEOS ATF TYPE SP. The specs of the Valvoline product were closely matched to the Eneos product, so I decided to go with that.

The fluid was very dark, but it didn't smell burnt. In fact, it smelled just like some left-over Kia fluid I had in the garage. The magnetic bolt didn't have that much stuff on it either. People on the internet seem to think that the Kia SPIII seems to oxidize easily, and I would tend to agree.

So far, there has been no change in the way the transmission performs, and that is a good thing. The transmission has given me no problems, and I want to keep it that way. I drove the car around for about 50 miles, taking some back roads and some freeway. Everything seems to be good. I may do another fluid swap in a couple of weeks.

Hopefully this fluid will last a little longer than the OEM stuff.

Originally Posted By: LineArrayNut

I have looked under the engine and have asked the Kia mechanics. They say there is no drain plug on the Optima from 2011 on and that I would have to do a pan drop. The older Optima's had them. If you could provide a pic of its location I would greatly appreciate it.
I've only done 2 fluid changes via the cooler lines. The schematic on the repair guide is quite specific. I use 6 redline d4 and a bottle of red lubegard after a flush of 6 chevron synthetic d6. I drive it hard. 119k no problems.

I've only done 2 fluid changes via the cooler lines. The schematic on the repair guide is quite specific. I use 6 redline d4 and a bottle of red lubegard after a flush of 6 chevron synthetic d6. I drive it hard. 119k no problems.
This thread was 8 years ago

Back