Nail gun for exterior trim

Status
Not open for further replies.
I need to replace a lot of cheap finger-jointed pine trim on my house. Was going to use a nail gun. I have a compressor. Going to use 2 1/2" SS finish nails for 5/4 cedar.

Air or cordless? Is the cordless too heavy or unbalanced?

HF or get a good one?

I assume a straight nail gun vs an angled nail gun.

Look on Ebay for a Hitachi air powered. Sure you have a hose / compressor to lug around. I have been doing woodworking and finish carpentry for 10 years. The paslode and dewalt cordless will work, but are more expensive and heavier.

The HF nailers are guaranteed to jam, short hits (not counter-sink) and ruin your day.

Bostich, Ridgid, Hitachi, are all good air powered nailers.

Just my .02.

Dave

I'd also go air powered 16ga. I probably wouldn't go HF, though my father has a pin nailer from them that works OK. Any of the above brands would be a lot better, and you will probably use this again in the future.

16 gauge finishing nailer. I have all porter cable nail guns. The old style that you oil. We used these in my shop class in middle school and kids beat the [censored] out of those guns and they still worked.

I have heard that the HF guns work OK so long as you don't use their nails. Use brand name nails (SS nails will be branded anyway).

Probably worth it to get a better brand gun for a little more money.

I have a Craftsman 16ga. that works great but is more than 10 years old. New designs are different. Take a look at the Ridgid models at HD.

I live in an old house, and the regular, old fashioned trim nails have worked perfect for 80+ years.

We have original chestnut trim that is thick, perhaps on newer homes with that home depot pressed garbage, youre better off just ripping it off and putting on new cut stuff.

But nailgunned trim always strikes me as harder to remove. A non starter for good trim.

Ill stick with my small nails and a nailset. Doesnt take many to do trim...

Now, I know you said EXTERIOR trim, and Im really talking INTERIOR, but IMO/IME doing it by hand is more important on the exterior, so that you can select the right painted/copper/stainless nails required to do the job right...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back