Where is the oil drain plug?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a Poulan Model 96112004109 B & S 500 series mower. Stunned me can't find the drain plug to change the oil. My other mowers had it underneath the deck.

Alot of cheaper mowers aren't coming with drain plugs any more. You either have to suck it out, or turn it over. I guess the makers figured most people don't change mower oil, so why waste the time and money to install a drain plug?.,,

set the mower with one side on the curb, then tip it up over the drain pan sitting below the curb...

Iwould never buy an engine that did not have an oil drain plug.

Makes me not want to buy Honda products. What are they thinking?

Is this some kind of "green" thing to get people to not change the oil?

Why would you ever use a drain plug on a mower?

Here's how I drain the oil on my mowers:
1) Tip the mower on its side.
2) Done.

Here's how you drain the oil if you want to use the drain bolt:
1) Get a concrete block or other instrument to hold the mower tilted back so you can get under it.
2) Get a ratchet and 3/8" drive extension and break the bolt loose.
3) Try to get your drain pan under it while it drains the half quart out.
4) Re-install the drain bolt, being careful not to thread-in the grass or other dirt that's likely on the bottom of the engine.
5) Done.

I can't fathom why anyone would want to do that.

And that's why they don't include drain plugs on vertical shaft mower engines anymore. They're redundant. At best, it takes you longer to change the oil. At worst, it's simply another leak point. Who needs that?

Originally Posted By: callbay
Iwould never buy an engine that did not have an oil drain plug.

Makes me not want to buy Honda products. What are they thinking?

Is this some kind of "green" thing to get people to not change the oil?

It's not just Honda. Had a snow blower with a Tecumseh and a mower with a B&S that both required tipping them over and pouring oil out through the dipstick tube.

Last time I changed the oil I used lawnmower oil hd30. Since I don't know what that is, this time I used Castrol hd30. Tip to the side opposite the carb and gas cap.

My JD JX75 Kawasaki doesn't have a drain plug either. I prop mine against the cinder block wall in my garage with the carb down and use the core from a roll of paper towels as a drain tube into a small drain pan. Works like a champ. Thanks G

Originally Posted By: gman2304
My JD JX75 Kawasaki doesn't have a drain plug either. I prop mine against the cinder block wall in my garage with the carb down and use the core from a roll of paper towels as a drain tube into a small drain pan. Works like a champ. Thanks G

The oil fill tube is usually opposite of the carburetor, so when you drain the mower, the carb tips to the "up" side. This keeps the carburetor from flooding with gasoline from the tank.

Is the oil fill tube on your Kawasaki on the same side as the carburetor?

Originally Posted By: gman2304

It appears that they have done away with the drain. I guess newer is not always better. Mine is newer than the one in the picture, but has the drain(FC150V). It's the brass fitting at the lower right corner of the engine. It was like a Fumoto valve. You placed the supplied drain tube over the fitting, opened it a turn or so to drain, close, remove tube, and fill.

Picture004-13.jpg

Ed

Last edited:
I let mine sit for about 10 min after a mow and tip it carb up. Come back after 30 min and by that time there's no oil dripping out of the fill tube. Has worked well, oil is generally clean when I change it at the beginning of each season.

Is it that there truly is NO drain plug or is it that the mower manufacturers didn't stamp the deck housing with an access hole for the drain plug. I originally thought that the Tecumseh on my Lawn Boy didn't have a drain plug, but when I removed the engine from the deck, lo and behold Tecumseh did indeed provide a drain plug but Lawn Boy didn't provide an access hole thru the deck.... go figger.

Mike

Our old mower had a drain plug. I just put the mower on saw horses. Made washing the deck easier too.

This new one makes you tip. 6 of one 1/2 dozen the other.

Originally Posted By: Mike Simmons
Is it that there truly is NO drain plug or is it that the mower manufacturers didn't stamp the deck housing with an access hole for the drain plug. I originally thought that the Tecumseh on my Lawn Boy didn't have a drain plug, but when I removed the engine from the deck, lo and behold Tecumseh did indeed provide a drain plug but Lawn Boy didn't provide an access hole thru the deck.... go figger.

Mike

Exactly.

My newer Snapper mower with a Briggs OHV has a drain plug, but it's a real chore to use the drain plug because of where it lands under the deck.

Tipping the mower on either side results is gas getting where you don't want it and hard starting afterwards, so the best bet is an oil change only after you've run it out of gas.

That, and it's got a stupid little oil filter that I thought was a neat idea at first, but is ridiculous for a push mower IMO.

Ed, The clear plastic drain tube was missing from mine when I bought it so thats the reason I use the paper towel core as a drain tube. I also drain the oil from my Honda this way...only on the Honda It has to be drained from the check fill tube. Thanks

Hokiefyd, Yes the oil drain and the carb are on the same side like in the pic that Ed shows. I feel that this method of changing the oil is easier and less messy than having to deal with the drain plug...at least on the JX75 with the Kawasaki engine. Thanks

My new (used) craftsmen mower doesn't have a drain plug. At first I thought this was ridiculous but after my first oil change it was foolproof simple oil change. If I tilt the mower just right its very simple and NO MESS and a fast way to change the oil. My Toro I have to remove the blade and belt guard to remove the drain plug making it more of a hassle compared to just tilting the mower over the drain pan. The main thing is buy a huge drain pan and run your mower out of fuel before the oil change. Now I actually prefer this method with no drain plug.

I have to agree that it's almost too easy to tilt the mower over. Just commit to tilting it (do it with a little speed) and you won't spill any oil at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back