Techron dosage...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was wondering if you could double up on techron, or even use a bottle and a half...We are taking 8 hour hwy trip soon and the van could use a good cleaning out...it has some pinging issues, it just seems when i use one bottle not much good is done, maybe a long hwy run with double dosage would be more effective, just wondering if it is safe to do??? thanks!

dont double the dosage .. do make sure you are using the techron concentrate.

the bottle when used as directed has aprox 10x the additives as normal gas.

Originally Posted By: Rand
dont double the dosage .. do make sure you are using the techron concentrate.

the bottle when used as directed has aprox 10x the additives as normal gas.

would it hurt anything??? ive always used the concentrate but 1 bottle just dosent seem to do anyting, im sure there is gunk in there because it is usually only driven about a mile to and from work 4 times a day.

Originally Posted By: mechtech2
A little extra won't hurt. Just a stronger concentration.

how much extra would be safe??? its like a 26 gallon tank i believe (chevy uplander) and a bottle of techron is good for up too 20 gallons

gregk24:

I doubt doubling up on Chevron Techron probably will hurt anything. For best results, pour the additive into your tank(during your short trips) BEFORE making long highway runs.

More importantly, the combustion chamber and valves are likely loaded up with carbon and this might be a cause of your pinging (amongst other things).

A major cleaning through your engine's air induction system (via the brake vacuum booster line) will do wonders in restoring power and smoothness to your engine.

Originally Posted By: 147_Grain
gregk24:

I doubt doubling up on Chevron Techron probably will hurt anything. For best results, pour the additive into your tank(during your short trips) BEFORE making long highway runs.

More importantly, the combustion chamber and valves are likely loaded up with carbon and this might be a cause of your pinging (amongst other things).

A major cleaning through your engine's air induction system (via the brake vacuum booster line) will do wonders in restoring power and smoothness to your engine.

really??? i though short trips would be worse because the engine temp never gets to operating temp...i though a nice long hot highway run would be better??? maybe not. I tried seafoam through the brake booster line and it make the engine make terrible knocking sounds...it goes in smooth and easy in my accord but in the van it makes it very rough and it starts knocking. i wont be doing that again, more harm than good i believe.

Short trips (that include starting and stopping the engine) allow the injector cleaner to soak a bit on the tips of the injectors and loosen up carbon in the combustion chamber. AFTER this, then a long run on the freeway (to blow things out) is beneficial - i.e. Italian Tune-up.

You may also need a second person to help keep the RPM's up in cleaning the induction system in your van so as to not bend any connecting rods. Go SLOWLY and use a syringe or something to lesson the flow into the brake booster line.

I've doubled up on Techron, Amsoil PI & Redline SI-1 frequently,
on multiple vehicles, and never had a single issue.

I just dosed my tank...15+ gallons total and I used the 12 oz bottle preceding a 13 gallon fill. I figure that it is more of a maintenance issue for my car with just over 8k on the clock. First oil change coming up in May.

On yours, I would take advantage of a BOGO and buy a twenty and twelve ounce. This would be one full tank at high concentration and you can use the empty bottles to split the free ones into two more doses for follow up.

I am not so sure if the city miles improves the performance, but it wouldn't hurt. If people have actually tried both city vs highway, I'd like to know actual results.

Why do you think long trips get engine hotter? I never recall my cooling fan coming on while I am on the highway. The hottest engine is when you are doing stop and go traffic. Anyway, it is better to add Techron during stop and go and short distance traffic so that it can soak as told by other people.

Originally Posted By: Vikas
Why do you think long trips get engine hotter? I never recall my cooling fan coming on while I am on the highway. The hottest engine is when you are doing stop and go traffic. Anyway, it is better to add Techron during stop and go and short distance traffic so that it can soak as told by other people.

I thought that the sustained high rpm would be better as far as dumping all the techron in the engine and burning off the carbon and other junk. Because the "city drivng we do" doesnt even let the car get up to operating temp most of the time so i didnt think the techron would work as well. but thanks for all the tips guys! i really want this pinging gone for good!

Last edited:
Techron doesnt solve big issues. No doubt you can double the dose but its a waste of money. If it is pinging its likely an issue that techron wont solve. How much mileage on it? How often do you change the oil? Alot of questions remain. Have a mechanic test drive it.

Last edited:
I always add it when i know I'll be making the most short trips. Add it on an 8 hour haul and your just burning it. Let it soak in a little. And best to add it near oil change time. Some of the heavier solvents can contaminate your oil.

Originally Posted By: Rolla07
Techron doesnt solve big issues. No doubt you can double the dose but its a waste of money. If it is pinging its likely an issue that techron wont solve. How much mileage on it? How often do you change the oil? Alot of questions remain. Have a mechanic test drive it.

100K miles on it, no never have to add coolant, and it was changed about a year ago. Change the oil every 3000 miles. Yes had the mechanic test drive it twice, they didnt say anything about it.

If you are convinced it is carbon, then there are professional (or amateur) ways of getting rid of them. Look up "Motor Vac" treatment in your area. It might cost you hundred or two but if anything is going to decarbon your engine, that would be it. BG also has similar service.

You can try to duplicate it yourself using Seafoam or even water but the question is do you feel comfortable doing it? If not, let professional do it.

GreeCGuy just posted how he fixed his van using home made decarbonization. You do read other topics here, right?

Last edited:
In your case, the Techron would be in your system for just 8 hours. A better plan is to add it during a time period when your car is not in service much. It would soak and dissolve deposits better if you drove around town/intermittantly for a week or two before needing to refill. The highway run won't hurt a thing, but a week+ of soaking is optimal.

Originally Posted By: Vikas
If you are convinced it is carbon, then there are professional (or amateur) ways of getting rid of them. Look up "Motor Vac" treatment in your area. It might cost you hundred or two but if anything is going to decarbon your engine, that would be it. BG also has similar service.

You can try to duplicate it yourself using Seafoam or even water but the question is do you feel comfortable doing it? If not, let professional do it.

GreeCGuy just posted how he fixed his van using home made decarbonization. You do read other topics here, right?

Try the $20 Walmart service and run a tank after because they will add a cleaner to your tank also.

Then add Techron to the next tank.

Take a look and clean your TB too. If it has carbon, then it is elsewhere in the system and the Walmart service should take care of a lot of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back