Need a 5W50 for 5.0 Coyote

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can anyone recommend a quality 5W50 available over the counter besides Motorcraft? Am i going to have to go with Redline or another oil of the sort? I will not use anything by Castrol so EDGE is out of the picture.

Just in case some of you didn't know Ford has 5W50 on the cap of 5.0 Mustangs with the Track Pack and there is no difference in the internals vs the non Track Pack recommending 5W20 which i thought was interesting

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: swirlparanoid
Originally Posted By: 2010_FX4
How about Mobil 1 5W-50 ?

Has it even come out yet? I dont see it on the Mobil site...

Yes, it is, but it seems to be a European product. Apologies, I did not investigate past the spec sheet.

Originally Posted By: michaelluscher
Mobil, Castrol, Motorcraft, and you found Redline.
Maybe amsoil has something for you?
That's all the oils available in the specced visc.

I would use the Motorcraft but i read somewhere that it shears pretty badly.
Figures that they would recommend something with such little competition so people buy the Motorcraft. Looks like ill have to go with Redline or Amsoil then.

Originally Posted By: michaelluscher
Mobil, Castrol, Motorcraft, and you found Redline.
Maybe amsoil has something for you?
That's all the oils available in the specced visc.

I would use the Motorcraft but i read somewhere that it shears pretty badly.
Figures that they would recommend something with such little competition so people buy the Motorcraft. Looks like ill have to go with Redline or Amsoil then.

Yup,your correct,the Motorcraft 5w50 oil shears pretty quickly. I wouldnt use it myself.

Can anyone recommend a quality 5W50 available over the counter besides Motorcraft? Am i going to have to go with Redline or another oil of the sort? I will not use anything by Castrol so EDGE is out of the picture.

Just in case some of you didn't know Ford has 5W50 on the cap of 5.0 Mustangs with the Track Pack and there is no difference in the internals vs the non Track Pack recommending 5W20 which i thought was interesting

Stay within a reasonable range of the viscosity of the sheared Motorcraft 5w-50 oil. Ford knows exactly how it shears in use, and they planned for it.

The engine hardware is the same between different versions of the engine, but the ECU software isn't. It knows which viscosity is specified and adjusts the rate at which the cams move from one setting to the other to work best with the oil specified in the owner's manual.

Ford is typically very diligent with their testing. I would advise they spec 5w-50 for a real good reason and the motorcraft product does what it needs to do in this application

Originally Posted By: jaj

but the ECU software isn't. It knows which viscosity is specified and adjusts the rate at which the cams move from one setting to the other to work best with the oil specified in the owner's manual.
Link?

The original owners manual specs 5w-20.

Last edited:
Quaker State`s 5W50 is a very *thin* 50 weight according to their pds. If I had a V8 Mustang,I`d use Syntec 5W50.

The only oil on the market that isn't Motorcraft that carries the Ford certification for this application is the Quaker State. So that's the oil I'd be seeking out to find. Using anything else may cause you warranty issues.

MC 5w50 shears to a 40-weight quickly, and then to a 30-weight if you run it hard. The only real reason to run it is that it has low zddp, equivalent to API limits for 20 and 30-weights. If you want to protect your engine instead of your cats, run Redline 10w40.

Originally Posted By: A_Harman
MC 5w50 shears to a 40-weight quickly, and then to a 30-weight if you run it hard. The only real reason to run it is that it has low zddp, equivalent to API limits for 20 and 30-weights. If you want to protect your engine instead of your cats, run Redline 10w40.

The reason to run it is to retain his factory warranty. THIS is the reason the Euro marques had so many bloody problems in North America. "Run an approved lubricant? this is 'merica! I'll run whatever the [censored] I bloody well feel like!!!"
smirk.gif

We have the m1 5w-50 in canada,I happen to have a few quarts so I'm confident an a person can find it stateside pretty easily.
I would contact Mobil and ask them what their position as far as their 5w-50 used in a 5.0. I'm sure they have data on its use in that engine and if they told me its allowable I'd run it.
Since you already canned castrol that eliminates an easily found 5w-50 obtained at wal mart.
I've seen Quaker state ultimate durability in the 5w-50 flavour and i just saw just of 5w-50 at Canadian tire in their motomaster house brand. Although I don't know if motomaster is even obtainable where you are.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back