Is a oil filter really effective after 7500 miles?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,
I may be purchasing a new 2013 Honda Civic EX Sedan in the coming months. As many know, Honda
uses what they refer to as a Maintenance Minder" that shows on the dash what service is needed
at the appropriate mileage.
Oil changes could be extended all the way up to 10,000 miles in some cases, depending on one's
driving style.
But can the OEM Honda oil filter really filter effectively beyond 7500 miles?? Honda never mentions about this! Do you suppose to change the filter in between the change, or is the OEM
Honda filter designed to last to up to 10,000 miles?
Thanks

Last edited:
Filters rarely get so plugged up that they can no longer filter the oil. If a filter did get that plugged up the engine would be grinding its self to pieces. IMo the filter is to catch the few break in pieces that may be in the engine and the catch dirt from quick lubes that use a dirty funnel.

Yes. In fact an oil filter just keeps getting more effective as the media traps contaminants and its efficiency increases until its 100% efficient,then its plugged.
There is no doubt in my mind that even the orange can is effective beyond 10000 miles and we throw out filters way too soon.
Dnewton and Jim Allen have cured me of that worry because they provide actual data in relation to mileage and duty cycle,so now I run any and all filters a minimum of 10000 and if using a top tier premium filter 15000 is the minimum mileage.
If you have a real oil pressure gauge that measures in pounds you can see when the filter is plugged and going into by-pass which indicates time to replace.

I have been using my oil filters for 2 Oil changes - 7500kms x 2.

I have opened a ton of them - recently I have stopped doing this - never found anything worth mentioning.

I agree that most oil filters get tossed too quickly.

I remember on my first car, a 1978 Civic, the manual stated to change the filter every other oil change. I think they recommended 7500 mile oil changes.

The diesel community runs 10k minimum, and often out to 25k on a filter. They are catridge types, and I'm not suggesting you try it, but they do work well for a long while.

I have been doing 10K OCI for decades with one filter. If the engine is clean to start with, as yours is, 10K is no problem.

Originally Posted By: Chris142
Filters rarely get so plugged up that they can no longer filter the oil. If a filter did get that plugged up the engine would be grinding its self to pieces. IMo the filter is to catch the few break in pieces that may be in the engine and the catch dirt from quick lubes that use a dirty funnel.

Not sure the engine would grind itself to pieces. Im pretty sure all modern filters have bypass valves. When the filter gets clogged enough the pressure builds to a point where the bypass valve opens up and allows the oil to continue to flow. Its unfiltered but still lubricated.

I believe you guys when you say an oil filter can go that long, but if you shop around a little, quality filters can be had for around $3. Especially if you buy in bulk ie rockauto.. cheap insurance if you ask me.

Originally Posted By: lockguy
Not sure the engine would grind itself to pieces. Im pretty sure all modern filters have bypass valves. When the filter gets clogged enough the pressure builds to a point where the bypass valve opens up and allows the oil to continue to flow. Its unfiltered but still lubricated.

I interpreted his statement as "The engine must be shredding to pieces to completely plug up an oil filter". I could be wrong though.
21.gif

Flinter, I wouldn't be surprised if your owner's manual says to use the oil filter for two changes. Since Honda introduced the maintenance monitor, it has had an A and B alert. One is for changing the oil and the other is for oil and filter.

If Honda can confidently say to use your filters for two oil changes, you can be comfortable running it for 10k miles. I changed them on my Hondas every other oil change and many others on this site have done it on many models with no damage. As noted above, the filters filter even better as the bigger holes get clogged up.

Originally Posted By: lockguy
I believe you guys when you say an oil filter can go that long, but if you shop around a little, quality filters can be had for around $3. Especially if you buy in bulk ie rockauto.. cheap insurance if you ask me.

What does price have to due with the efficiency and functionality of a oil filter?

Absolutely.

Would you trust an E-Core (or similar piece of junk) for more than 7500 miles? I wouldn't. Lots of folks that don't give a hoot abou their vehicles certainly do.

My supervisor used to go 7,000-15,000 miles on PYB and Fram filters in her Nissan Sentra. It had 250,000 miles on it before she got rid of it.

Originally Posted By: JRed
Absolutely.

Would you trust an E-Core (or similar piece of junk) for more than 7500 miles? I wouldn't. Lots of folks that don't give a hoot abou their vehicles certainly do.

My supervisor used to go 7,000-15,000 miles on PYB and Fram filters in her Nissan Sentra. It had 250,000 miles on it before she got rid of it.

I assume you think your supervisor didn't give a hoot about her vehicle. But where in her 250,000 miles of ownership did her maintenance practice fail?

Originally Posted By: JRed
Absolutely.

And Dnewton is proving that those intervals aren't beyond the oils and filters capabilities.
In fact he is using supertech but I cannot recall which filter. He is running 15000 mile intervals just to prove that those intervals will NOT perceptibly shorten the lifespan of an engine.
Talk about putting you money where your mouth is. He is using his personal vehicle as the test mule and doing a uoa after each run. Then he posts them and we are all flabbergasted that supertech oil can protect an engine at that interval,and the oil filter didn't explode.
So in all honesty I will bet that the sentra in question went on to live many more hundreds of thousands of miles and I bet it ran just fine as the body rusted off around the engine.
Face it. None of us truly push our oil change intervals other than a select few here. We all throw money away with 5000 mile oci on a quality syn,and we pay big bucks on filters we throw away before even 1/4 of its useful life has expired.
And we do it for "peace of mind" because we actually convinced ourselves that in doing so our motors will last longer in the end. And you know what the engines are likely pristine and you could drive them own to the crusher instead of burning diesel in the heavy equipment to put them in there.
My point is that over the long haul those of us who spent more on maintenance never see a return on that money. No one pays more for a used car that used synthetic oil every oil change and the possibility exists that you could have an engine with 200k on it and it runs like brand new,until that dumb dumb blows the red light and t-bones ya.
You can agree,or disagree,it make no difference to me however anyone with some sense can read what I just wrote and see that I'm right.
And just to be clear I am one of you,the over obsessor changing my oil too early however I am leaving my filters on for longer now.
Just wanted to clarify so no one assumes I'm taking any shots at anyone

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back