Lucas Enigine oil Stop Leak?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey all! I have a 2001 Ford Ranger with the 4.0 SOHC engine, that has 130,xxx miles on the clock. About a week ago, I went to change the oil and noticed the rear of the oil pan was damp. I cleaned the area, added dye, and have since driven about 400 miles. The pan is just barely moist and my mechinic says that it looks like the oil is coming from the "girdle" gasket, or what the dealer refers to as the upper pan gasket. He suggested (given the age of the truck, the slow nature of the leak, and the expense of the repair)that I leave well enough alone and add a quart of Lucas Engine Oil Stop Leak. Any advice is greatly appreciated!

I would NOT use any Lucas additives in my engine/transmission/power steering ... If the leak is so small I would try Hi Mileage oil such as Valvoline Max Life on the next oil change, not any engine stop leak additive.

Personally, I would stay away from that mechanic forever. Only because by recommending a low quality lucas product that won't work, to me he tries to take shortcuts by usign these poor quality products.

If it's really an annoyance, get a bottle of AT-205 ReSeal made by ATP.
You can alway try Blue Devil rear main seal additive, (all of their leak sealer products are the same, only the label is different).

Or switch up to a high mileage oil like Maxlife for instance.

Lucas additives are junk except the fuel additive. Anyone who uses or recommends them is feeble at best.
If you want a real stop leak additive I suggest motor oil saver made by lubro-moly/liqui-moly. Their additives works as advertised and are the only additives I trust in an engine. I have used this stuff many times and it has worked each and every time.
Stay away from Lucas. Garbage

There are better additives if you want to go that route. That AT-205 suggested by EricF has lot better reviews.

No Lucas here either. I'd try a HM oil like Maxlife. And I would certainly not worry about fixing a seep.

Originally Posted By: KCJeep
No Lucas here either. I'd try a HM oil like Maxlife. And I would certainly not worry about fixing a seep.

01.gif

Quote:

Personally, I would stay away from that mechanic forever. Only because by recommending a low quality lucas product that won't work, to me he tries to take shortcuts by usign these poor quality products.

In defense of the mechanic the OP said

Quote:

He suggested (given the age of the truck, the slow nature of the leak, and the expense of the repair)that I leave well enough alone and add a quart of Lucas Engine Oil Stop Leak.

So the nature of the fix WAS qualified by the mechanic. Could be he is just trying to economize on the customer's behalf.

Some like one products, others another.

Last edited:
I have never seen a Lucas product that worked as claimed including the fuel injector conditioner. I would avoid them.

He wasn't trying to steer me tword the product, he just suggested it might help the leak/weep. He said he would be glad to do the repair but didnt feel that the problem was serious enough to warrant the cost of the repair

I've decided to give the Mobil 1 High Mileage 5w 30 a try. Just out of curiosity, what makes the seal conditioners in a "high mileage" oil better/different than the ones in the Lucas product or it's competitors?

lucas attempts to stop a leak by hyper thickening the oil. a thicker oil theoretically won't find it's way through a tiny hole. So in lucas's eyes, leak is fixed! And you have a super sludgy oil with no soap or detergents in it circulating in your oil stream.

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
I would NOT use any Lucas additives in my engine/transmission/power steering ... If the leak is so small I would try Hi Mileage oil such as Valvoline Max Life on the next oil change, not any engine stop leak additive.

Very correct, move up one grade and use a good HM oil if you cant fix leak after checking vent system OK.
I only use cans of stop leak hen you have no other ideas

Originally Posted By: PW01
So it's just a really thick oil, no seal conditioners like the high mileage oils?

Exactly. They have no additives at all and just thicken the oil and at the same time dilute the oils additive package which is a double whammy in the wrong direction.
Mobil's high mileage oil is a good product however max life is the king of the high mileage oils.
The Mobil should fix it up for you but if it doesn't try the motor oil saver from liqui-moly/lubro-moly. It will work guaranteed. Everything they make works as advertised.

I've decided to give the Mobil 1 High Mileage 5w 30 a try. Just out of curiosity, what makes the seal conditioners in a "high mileage" oil better/different than the ones in the Lucas product or it's competitors?

IDK what the differences are in the seal conditioners between oils. But, I have had reasonable success with HM oils. MaxLife first and DEFY 2nd. They have slowed down but, not stopped completely the oil leaks/drips.

Goood Luck!

Last edited:
Well, I've changed the oil using the Mobil 1 High Mileage 5w-30. I cleaned all surfaces with brake clean, so it looks dry and clean. We'll see how it goes, thanks for all of your input!

Well, I've changed the oil using the Mobil 1 High Mileage 5w-30. I cleaned all surfaces with brake clean, so it looks dry and clean. We'll see how it goes, thanks for all of your input!

Good luck. Might also consider the 10W-40 version over the summer.

Since Lucas Engine Oil Stop Leak is ~90% Napthenic Petroleum, and since napthenic petroleum has fairly good seal swell properties, why are so many people posting with authority that the product does nothing but thicken the oil?

I am no Lucas fan and this product does thicken oil beyond my preference, but misinformation is not useful.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back