NGK or AC Delco Spark Plugs?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all,

New to the boards but been following for a little while. This seems like a good wealth of info on this forum.

I'll be changing out the spark plugs on my car soon (almost 100K miles) but I'm not 100% on which to go for. Owner's manual specifies AC Delco, I've found only AC Delco that have copper cores with either a platinum or iridium tip.

My Haynes guide specifies that iridium and platinum plugs can be replaced every 100K miles but do the AC Delco plugs count if they have a copper core?

I was looking at the NGK G-Power plugs which have platinum tips and cores but I'm not sure what they are rated at as far as mileage.

Any help would be appreciated.

Just get the AcDelcos. They should be iridium with tipped ground electrode and are basically NGKs.

The NGK's that are spec'd for your 'Nox are copper core. I don't know of any spark plug that does not have a copper core for automotive use. Check out the NGK.com.

Originally Posted By: mechanicx
Just get the AcDelcos. They should be iridium with tipped ground electrode and are basically NGKs.

Price-wise, the AC Delcos are only $0.10 cheaper than the NGK Iridium IX plugs, though the NGK have iridium cores instead of copper.

Originally Posted By: Swarmlord

Price-wise, the AC Delcos are only $0.10 cheaper than the NGK Iridium IX plugs, though the NGK have iridium cores instead of copper.

No, the ACDelco are iridium 41-101 and the equivalent NGK are laser iridium ITR4A15, with the NGK usually being a $1-2 more per plug for the same thing really.

Originally Posted By: Swarmlord

No, the ACDelco are iridium 41-101 and the equivalent NGK are laser iridium ITR4A15, with the NGK usually being a $1-2 more per plug for the same thing really.

Ah ok. That makes it easier to pick. Thanks.
smile.gif

Do not get the NGK IX. It is single tipped and will not last or wear evenly in your vehicle. You need the ACDelco double tipped 41-101 or the NGK lasers ITR4A-15. They are equivalent, but the ACDelcos usually being priced lower.

Do not get the NGK IX. It is single tipped and will not last or wear evenly in your vehicle. You need the ACDelco double tipped 41-101 or the NGK lasers ITR4A-15. They are equivalent, but the ACDelcos usually being priced lower.

Yup, I saw the equivalence on the NGK website. Thanks.

AC Delco:
41-101 Iridium 100K lifespan
41-902 Double Platnum about 80k lifespan

OE is Iridium.. they're rated for at least 100k, however I'd change them at 80k. No reason to leave them in to 100k cuz it might get stuck in the threads.

And definetely anti-seize.. just a small dab on the threads. they don't need to be coated.

Nothing better than getting OEM spark plugs. If you have a GM vehicle feel worry free using the AC Delco. Whether or not using copper platinum or iridium is all up to you. Personally oi use copper simply to just gimme a reason to work on my vehicle for proper maintanence.

Make sure to get the spark plug wires also. AC Delco would be my choice.

I did a tuneup on an 06 Equinox last year and used Autolite Iridium XP's. Great plug and priced right. I use them all the time along with their double plats when spec'd for.

I don't buy into all the NGK this or that. Overpriced for the same spark and life.

I don't think there's anything wrong with Autolite or Champion plugs. I've used them also. But the way I look at it is I'd rather have the OE plug (or in this case, also the NGK) for my own vehicle or where possible. You know it not just fits exactly right but is also the exact same heat range and durability has been verified. GM could've used Autolites or some other at probably lower cost but chose the NGK design. It's not too different from choosing an ACDelco classic oil filter vs a FRAM. Both fit and work but only the first one is OE. I always like to use OE parts when the price is reasonable.

NGK plugs are over priced. There's a mail-in rebate on ACDelco plugs http://www.acdelco.com/pdf/Spark Plug Rebate form.pdf. $2 off iridium and you can get them for as low as $5. At $3 for iridiums AcDelcos I'm tempted to buy a set although I don't need really need plugs.

Last edited:
Thanks for the help. I'm interested to see what the spark plugs look like when I remove them. I'm not sure if they have ever been replaced.

I don't think there's anything wrong with Autolite or Champion plugs. I've used them also. But the way I look at it is I'd rather have the OE plug (or in this case, also the NGK) for my own vehicle or where possible. You know it not just fits exactly right but is also the exact same heat range and durability has been verified. GM could've used Autolites or some other at probably lower cost but chose the NGK design. It's not too different from choosing an ACDelco classic oil filter vs a FRAM. Both fit and work but only the first one is OE. I always like to use OE parts when the price is reasonable.

NGK plugs are over priced. There's a mail-in rebate on ACDelco plugs http://www.acdelco.com/pdf/Spark Plug Rebate form.pdf. $2 off iridium and you can get them for as low as $5. At $3 for iridiums AcDelcos I'm tempted to buy a set although I don't need really need plugs.

I have to admit that you are absolutely right and I know this and agree. I just have good luck with the Autolites and they were actually better than the OE Delcos in both my and my dad's 2008 CTS's with the DI 3.6. Both of us had to change plugs before 50k miles due to misfires. Guess what..the original OE AC DELCOS were BOSCH's.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back