CD-2 High Performance Oil Boost

Status
Not open for further replies.
quote:

Turtle wax?

Hey, that'll keep the inside of my engine nice and shiny!
grin.gif

I'm assuming that would be a moly/ZDDP mix in that product....can't find its composition anywhere, or MSDS....

Not even on their website: www.cd-2products.com The product is listed, though, so it is apparently not discontinued. I just sent them a message re what is the zinc, phos, and moly levels and what is the viscosity.

I'd trust a VOA over any company comments/specs.
Mo/Zdp aren't the only friction modifiers.

I got a reply from CD-2 and this stuff looks great!

"Thank you for your interest in our CD-2 Street Legal High Performance Oil Boost. The average viscosity of this product at 100 C is 28 (cSt). Each bottle of CD-2 Street Legal High Performance Oil Boost typically contains by weight the following percentages:

Calcium: 0.78 %
Phosphorus: 0.43
Zinc: 0.47
Moly: 0. 0"

Wahoooooo!
fruit.gif

This is the next best thing to GM EOS at 4300 ppm phosphorus and 4700 ppm zinc!

What is that in a SM oil of about 700 ppm zddp. Lets average and say 4500 ppm zddp for the CD-2 stuff to make it simple.

4500 - 700 = 3800
15 oz in 150 oz oil is 10%
3800 * 0.1 = 380
Great, an SM comes up with a 380 ppm boost in zddp, better than SL.
But I will use this in SL so I will get up to SH levels of zddp!

Now for the viscosity. The blending equation says at 10% treat rate it will bring a 10.5 cSt (100C) 10w30 up to 11.5 cSt--which is what a 10w30 should be anyway.

Yes! Yes! Yes! Oil Boost! Bring it on Big Lot's. I'm going to be tempted to buy them out!
gr_eek2.gif
freak2.gif
gr_eek2.gif
spaz.gif
spaz.gif

Oh yeah, no moly? Who needs moly with that kind of zddp. We don't need no stinking moly!

Percentage by weight is the same as ppm if you move the decimal 4 spaces to the right.

The back of the bottle says 4 times the antiwear as SL oil so the numbers above fit that also.

I cautiously wonder what kind of TBN spike this stuff could provide with all that calcium? Could it be too much and throw the rest of an additive pack into conflict? Maybe in something Like you Motor home this would work out.. I am suspicious of cheap ZDDP and Calcium. How is it delivered? Is it esterfied or is it kept in another form of solution? Huge numbers for sure but my trust is not in big numbers squirted into a bottle and sold. This could be as good as the more touted adds here such as Synpower and SXUp but I am waiting for you to run it first!!
dunno.gif

FWIW, here is what the back label says:

quote:

CD-2 Street Legal High Performance Oil Boost modifies today's conventional motor oils for improved lubrication in high RPM, high horsepower, or high torque applications. It improves oil film strengthh, lubricity and sheer stability to prevent metal to metal wear. CD-2 Oil Boost is effective in 5w30 to 20w50 grade conventional or syntetic motor oil blends. Contains four times more friction modifier and anti-wear additives than an API SL grade motor oil.

basicly just a diluted PCMO add package or just ZDDP with a bit of calcium not a bad deal and IMHO would not cause any harm at all and would help the oil "grow" up from a SM to a SH.
lol.gif

Bye the way a "real" add package will have about (1.5%) or 15,000 ppm of Zinc and Phosphous and about (2.0%) or about 20,000ppm CA. With a nice thick viscosity of about a 120 cSt @ 100C.

bruce

And I just saw this stuff a couple hours ago at my local Wal Mart. There were two different ones, an additive boost and the cleaner. I'm fixin' to be changing my oil today or tomorrow to be ready for an 1100 mile sroad trip (each way) next month, so I wonder how this will do. I'll be using Castrol GTX 5w30 in a '97 Nissan Maxima (105,000 miles) and a PureOne filter. Anyone think a bottle of this substituted for the same amount of oil would be a good idea (4.25 qt capacity)? I'll be traveling from northwest Louisiana to mid-Ohio for a few weeks, so temps will be kinda low.

On a side-note, I've been searching for VSOT for months now since I've read its praises on here. Unfortunately, I can't find it in my local stores. Ironically, I remember seeing it everywhere BEFORE I read about it on here, but dismissed it as snake-oil. Would this CD-2 stuff be in the same ball-park?

Dave

Well Bruce, I am glad to hear your good news on this stuff since I bought 6 bottles yesterday. Yeah, couldn't help myself. Walked in to buy one bottle out of curiosity and decided that if retail is $12 I could at least spring for the one bottle retail amount. (And I still have 2 bottles of the discontinued zddp adder, STP 6000-Mile Oil Extender, to use up.
tongue.gif
) Oh heck, I might as well fess up. Here's my current stash of additives:

6 16-oz CD-2 Street Legal High Performance Oil Boost
3 15-oz Valvoline Synpower Oil Treatment
2.5 15-oz Schaeffer 131 Moly Oil Treatment
2 15-oz STP 6000-Mile Oil Extender
0.5 15-oz STP 4-Cylinder Oil Treatment

Dave H. The VSOT has a more diverse package of goodies (see VOA on this site) but lower levels than the CD-2 Oil Boost. VSOT is rather thick also. If you go with the Oil Boost, I am thinking half a bottle should suffice and won't bump the viscosity much. BTW, what is your Wal Mart charging for the stuff? Do you have Big Lots near you?

Hey there is another add at Walmart called Powerservice Diesel Lube Oil Extender that has boosted zddp and I presume dispersant anti oxidant. There is a VOA on this site to compare. About $19 a 3 qt bottle, so figures close to my discounted CD-2 Oil Boost price.

I've been adding one oz per quart of the Val. Synpower oil Treatment whenever I change my oil for some added boost. This looks like a good additive to use the same way.

Got a bottle of this stuff today...still $1.99 at Big Lots...and they did have "lots" of it!

But what I wanna know is...who has actually tried this stuff?

And BTW it is as thick as honey!

At 28 cSt it is thick, but VSOT is three times as thick. Don't know if anybody tried it yet. I still have one dose of my previous zddp stash to use up--the discontinued STP 6000-Mile Oil Extender, which appeared to be about as thin as regular oil. Too bad STP quit making it.

I should add that the CD-2 Oil Boost has about 2.5 times the zddp as VSOT, so you can use less than half as much and that will have negligible effect on your viscosity.
smile.gif

Paul..is the STP 6000 Mile Extender decent stuff? There is a WHOLE boatload of it on the 50% off rack at AA where I got the VSOT for .67 cents

Goose
patriot.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back