DuraMax brand synthetic oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Has anyone heard of this stuff?
I found it listed on CL, at the decent price of $4.00/qt if bought in quantities of at least 100 qts, or $4.25/qt in quantities of at least 25 qts.
A quick search showed this to be a product of Mid-Town Petroleum, which is in turn owned by a company called RelaDyne.
This appears to be a regional company, with operations in the upper midwest. They are also a Chevron dealer.
The DuraMax dexos 1 full synthetic 5W-30 wears the dexos logo on the label, so it must be licensed by GM, so is apprently a pretty good oil.
The specs available on the Mid-Town website are limited, with an unimpressive VI of 168 for this oil, CSt viscosities of 56.7 and 10.1 and a -48 (presumably Farenheit) pour point.
I've never heard of this oil.
Has anyone?

RelaDyne is the owner of regional oil distributors Oil Distributing Co., makers of the Bullet c-store oil, which was just recalled due to PQIA warnings. I would pass, personally-there are plenty of name-brand alternatives for a similar cost (like the PP I saw at Kmart earlier today).

Reladyne was just mentioned in a thread today. Their oils were tested and being pulled off the shelves because they do not meet the 1960s spec they claim to meet.
DO NOT BUY THIS GARBAGE. Buy name brand oil and you can't go wrong. Do you really want to guinea pig that oil in your personal engine.
The pqia which is an independent testing body has a warning out on some of this companies other products. Apparently nothing they make meets the 50 year old spec they claim to be formulated to.
I cannot stress enough to save your money.

I wasn't really going to use it, since I can get known quality syns for less than half what this oil would cost, as can anyone who shops the deals and takes advantage of MIRs.
I just wondered whether anyone knew anything about it.
Also, since this is a dexos licensed oil, I really doubt that it's garbage, although some of their other products apparently are.

Originally Posted By: fdcg27
Has anyone heard of this stuff?
I found it listed on CL, at the decent price of $4.00/qt if bought in quantities of at least 100 qts, or $4.25/qt in quantities of at least 25 qts.
A quick search showed this to be a product of Mid-Town Petroleum, which is in turn owned by a company called RelaDyne.
This appears to be a regional company, with operations in the upper midwest. They are also a Chevron dealer.
The DuraMax dexos 1 full synthetic 5W-30 wears the dexos logo on the label, so it must be licensed by GM, so is apprently a pretty good oil.
The specs available on the Mid-Town website are limited, with an unimpressive VI of 168 for this oil, CSt viscosities of 56.7 and 10.1 and a -48 (presumably Farenheit) pour point.
I've never heard of this oil.
Has anyone?

If it has the API seal, it should be good. But as mentioned earlier, the other stuff they make is absolute garbage. If you want to go cheap, buy Supertech at Walmart. It's just as good as any of the brand name stuff. As in anything, Caveat Emptor.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back