Please tell me about Rust Neutralizer

Status
Not open for further replies.
When rust pushes up through the paint like that, treating it becomes a huge can of worms.

Likely the Window seal which has allowed the water intrusion has trapped the water inside and the rust is much much worse where you can't see it.

Once you start removing it and poking around you will get more and more depressed.

Naval Jelly is good at dissolving rust. I've been using Oshpo in a similar manner, which is similar to Kleen strip Prep and etch mentioned earlier. Applying it scrubbing with a Scotchbrite pad. The rust turns hard black, and the next day you can scrub those black patches again with Ospho and scotchbrite and they get smaller as the rust is removed and the grey pitted steel below is exposed.

Make sure to let the Ospho dry for 24 hours before attempting to prime it. Make sure condensation or moisture is not present for those 24 hours. Use a good primer and paint, and this is best as you can do. Without removing the windshield, cutting out all the rust, welding in new sections and repainting.

You can't stop rust, only slow it down with varying degrees of effectiveness completely dependent on quality of prep work and correct use of product used afterwards.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: TechnoLoGs

So, based on that there, would would my best plan of attack be?

Great thread, as well. Thank you all!

Remove the window and then use something like a 3M 7" stripping disc across the front of the roof. If you're lucky enough not to have any holes in the window channel you could wire wheel the area thoroughly. Only at that point would you treat the metal for any residual specks of rust using something like Picklex 20. Of course, this means a repaint of the whole area but from the looks of it you don't have much choice as the cancer has spread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back