1995 cadillac seville oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd like to get a caddy some day. I rented a 2003 DTS for few days and that was easily the smoothest car Ive ever driven. Are the newer ones more reliable? Are there other expensive repairs besides the head gasket that are common?

No seville from the late eighties till present have ever come with a diesel in the early 80's some as an option came with an oldsmobile made diesel

Hello all, about 4 months ago I purchased a 1995 Cadillac Seville SLS with 21,400 miles. I am coming up to my first oil change, based on the onboard computer, and would like to use 10W30 synthetic oil. I picked up Penzoil Platinum 10W30 as that was all Wal-MArt had except for their Tech brand. What thoughts do you have about synthetics? Also what about W-M Tech brand?
Thanks,
Roy

Akvavit said:
Hello all, about 4 months ago I purchased a 1995 Cadillac Seville SLS with 21,400 miles. I am coming up to my first oil change, based on the onboard computer, and would like to use 10W30 synthetic oil. I picked up Penzoil Platinum 10W30 as that was all Wal-MArt had except for their Tech brand. What thoughts do you have about synthetics? Also what about W-M Tech brand?
Thanks,
Roy [/quote

PP 10W-30 is an excellent oil, and would work really well in that application. Good choice!

Originally Posted By: Realfine69
The Northstar gets a bad rap but its actually a pretty sweet engine. The heads are basically a modified version of the LT5 heads off the early 90's ZR1 corvette. It was a 5.7L DOHC 32V V8. The heads were designed by Lotus for GM. Although plagued with head gasket problems and a few other problems its a very strong engine that loves high rpms. It was Tested for 300 hours at redline multiple times. Its too bad GM put this motor is a bunch of grandpa and grandma cars and not a little RWD 2 door coupe or a manual transmission. The motor was designed to be run hard which is why when babied the rings gum up and the motor uses alot of oil. The procedure for that was to go on the highway in second car and floor it up to redline then come off the gas and let the rpms fall back down to about 2500 and repeat this 2 or 3 more times. I had a 93 STS with 195,000 on it when i get rid of it. It was still running strong, used very little oil and never had the headgaskets replaced. I paid 3 grand for this car and it was in mint condition, I basically drove this car like it was a rental everywhere i went. The car was a beast. The best oil for this motor up till 99 when the roller motor went into service ( and this was recommended by a GM engineer who designed the Northstar ) is Rotella 15W40. You can read all about this motor in the Technical section on the cadillac forums all you want.

www.cadillacforums.com

Very good info, Realfine69. I love the Cadillac Owners Forum. Kinda like BITOG for Caddy guys. All the Northstar issues were fixed by 2004-2005. My 2007 uses almost no oil.

Originally Posted By: Realfine69
The Northstar gets a bad rap but its actually a pretty sweet engine. The heads are basically a modified version of the LT5 heads off the early 90's ZR1 corvette. It was a 5.7L DOHC 32V V8. The heads were designed by Lotus for GM. Although plagued with head gasket problems and a few other problems its a very strong engine that loves high rpms. It was Tested for 300 hours at redline multiple times. Its too bad GM put this motor is a bunch of grandpa and grandma cars and not a little RWD 2 door coupe or a manual transmission. The motor was designed to be run hard which is why when babied the rings gum up and the motor uses alot of oil. The procedure for that was to go on the highway in second car and floor it up to redline then come off the gas and let the rpms fall back down to about 2500 and repeat this 2 or 3 more times. I had a 93 STS with 195,000 on it when i get rid of it. It was still running strong, used very little oil and never had the headgaskets replaced. I paid 3 grand for this car and it was in mint condition, I basically drove this car like it was a rental everywhere i went. The car was a beast. The best oil for this motor up till 99 when the roller motor went into service ( and this was recommended by a GM engineer who designed the Northstar ) is Rotella 15W40. You can read all about this motor in the Technical section on the cadillac forums all you want.

www.cadillacforums.com

I agree. That engine was awesome and should have gone into a camaro or a firebird. They loved the high rpms and if you drove them hard from day one surprisingly they had less problems than the senior driven examples.
Dohc are the way to go,especially in a manual tranny sports type auto,it was a shame putting that engine in a vehicle where the driving demographic wont rev it past 2500

T-5 in the 10w30 works great. Clean up those rings and what ever else. Filters the purelator is real nice filter for those short oc's.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back