SUS Viscosity @ 210F 71.1

cSt Viscosity @ 100C 13.23

Flash point in F 415

Fuel %
Antifreeze % 0.0

Water % 0.0

Insolubles % 0.2

TBN 8.5

OLM light came on at 8100 miles on the oil. It lied.
grin.gif

ACDelco oil filter
Banks RamAir with K&N clone filter
Wix High Efficiency fuel filter.

I think this engine will last longer the I will.
grin.gif

Running Delo 400 LE 15w40 in it now. Was on sale at Advance for 11 and change per gallon.

Last edited:
It probably has some sort of mileage figured into the computer. At least it lead you to change the oil before it was worthless and led to engine damage. With the TBN that level, it could have gone further. Now you have additional information along with the oil monitor. Oil is cheap compared to a new engine.
10.gif
Have a beer on me and call it a good clean engine thatis well taken care of. Good job

Originally Posted By: toneydoc
It probably has some sort of mileage figured into the computer.

What I thought too. Blew right by the 7500 mile normal schedule service interval and I was watching for it. Got the manual out and it says the OLM uses time and engine revolutions.

I'm gonna run the Delo until the OLM comes on, take a sample and have an analysis run, reset the OLM, and keep on truckin.

Originally Posted By: NMBurb02
What is the starting TBN? 8.5 seems awful high after 8k+ miles.

Thought the same thing. Searched other Duramax UOA's and for the most part they all had high TBN numbers. Beats me.

Originally Posted By: audi_guy
Originally Posted By: toneydoc
It probably has some sort of mileage figured into the computer.

What I thought too. Blew right by the 7500 mile normal schedule service interval and I was watching for it. Got the manual out and it says the OLM uses time and engine revolutions.

I'm gonna run the Delo until the OLM comes on, take a sample and have an analysis run, reset the OLM, and keep on truckin.

What is the starting TBN? 8.5 seems awful high after 8k+ miles.

Thought the same thing. Searched other Duramax UOA's and for the most part they all had high TBN numbers. Beats me.

Does the manual call for convential or synthetic? If the OLM is calibrated for conv, that may explain the high TBN. Just spit ballin' here.

Does the manual call for convential or synthetic? If the OLM is calibrated for conv, that may explain the high TBN. Just spit ballin' here.

Don't recall off hand but would make sense to me that it's probably calibrated for dino.

Last edited:
I'm a bit of a Dmax afficianado, so I can shed some light here.
I'll speak to this UOA, and then the Dmax in general, to give you perspective.

This is yet another totally boring Dmax UOA, and that is as desirable as one could ever hope for. Boring is good when it comes to UOAs; it means everything is normal. And your's is a total snoozer!

And speaking of normal, I'll offer this; please read my normalcy article on the home page. In there you will find data for the "averages" as I did a study on 550 Dmax engine UOAs, and posted up all kinds of data for this engine family.

The good thing is that your truck is one of more than a million (GM has made 1.5 million Duramax engines and still counting) that simply show the Dmax engine is one of the all-time best wearing light duty diesel engines ever made. Period. That's the good news.

More good news is that the Dmax really has zero preference for what oil is used, as long as it's diesel rated CH-4 or higher. The statistical data shows the Dmax simply does not care if you use dino or synthetic, 10w-30 or 15w-40 or 5w-40. They all return the same excellent results. It has no preference for brand, viscosity, or base stock as long as you pick a diesel rated lube that is within the OEM specs for the year of manufacture.

The bad news" (which is not really "bad", but could be better) is that you changed oil WAY too soon. I realize that the IOLM told you to do so, but your UOA shows there was a huge amount of life left in the crankcase lube. You wasted lube. However, the upside is that you seem intent on learning from this experience and letting the data speak to you. That is an excellent course of action and worthy of compliment. As you stated, you're going to sample at the next IOLM event, and (presuming all is well) continue to extend the OCI. That is the right use of an oil, regardless of what kind it is. You paid for premium service; you should extend your OCI to get that ROI. Even though you're now using a conventional lube, you can easily extend past the IOLM with sample confirmation as you plan. Don't let rhetoric and mythology place you in a mode of panic. Use the real data to make clear conclusions, and both your engine and your wallet will be in fine shape!

The most important thing to watch out for on your specific engine (LB7) is that the injectors can leak fuel, and because they are inside the valve cover, fuel dilution could wreak havoc on the oil. I would suggest that when you extend your OCIs, you do a UOA frequently enough that fuel dilution is tracked reasonably. This is not an issue on some models, as GM moved the injectors "outside" the valve covers; the LLY and LBZ do not suffer as such. Then, the LMM has dilution issues due not to leaking injectors but in-cylinder REGEN events, and finally the LML does not have dilution issues because the REGEN equipment is down-stream of the cylinders (they added a 9th injectory into the exhaust stream, so no dilution happens in the engine).

You have a great engine; keep up the UOAs and it will last a long time. There was a recent thread over on another website where a guy has suprassed 508k miles on his stock Dmax, with nothing but routine maintenance. He does not use bypass filtration, he does not use super-premium filters, he does not use fuel additives. He just follows good maintenance practices and drives the wheels off. He has NEVER changed his ATF fluid; he only has changed the Allison spin-on filter. It does help that he does bulk mail delivery, so lots of highway mileage. However, he's typically hauling heavy loads loads near max capacity of his CnC (can-and-chassis) rig.

Kind of puts in perspective how silly folks are when they run synthetic lubes and bypass filters, OCI'ing every 5k miles, when they pull a 5ver perhaps three weeks a year ... as if a Dmax would never survive without such premium treatements.

Hope that helps put into perspective your UOA and where to go from here!

Last edited:
Thanks DN3... I purchased this truck last August at a dealer auto auction. Friend of a friend who is a dealer carried me in and purchased the truck for me. Was in touch with the PO, construction site prep engineer, and it was his daily company driver - well maintained. It had the injectors changed under warranty at 50K.

This was the first real UOA for this truck. When I got the truck the OLM was on so I changed the oil and had an analysis run. Turned out the tech forgot or didn't know how to reset the OLM when he changed the oil at the dealer where the truck was traded in at. I've got a nice VOA of an unknown oil.
smirk.gif

Anyway I'm a firm believer in using oil analysises to make informed decisions regarding oil for my vehicles as well a predictive/proactive diagnostic tool.

Really glad my Dmax is happy. Planning on keeping it a very very long time.

Insolubles include soot, but are not limited to soot.

Being at .2, it is WELL below the Blackstone limit of .6.

I see the value in both. But most services to do one or the other, but not both.

Regardless, there is little to worry about here!

"audi guy"..I myself was confused for a long time about which oil to run in my 07 duramax. I did a few runs with shell rotella 15w40 with nothing but stellar results back on the used oil analysis reports. Im currently running some john deere 15w40 oil that I received from a friend for free last year..I plan to to an UOA on that oil later this year also. "Dnewton" is correct about the possibility of fuel contamination with your year of duramax. Just keep an eye on fuel contamination if you plan to extend you change intervals.

Originally Posted By: Ponch
"audi guy"..I myself was confused for a long time about which oil to run in my 07 duramax. I did a few runs with shell rotella 15w40 with nothing but stellar results back on the used oil analysis reports. Im currently running some john deere 15w40 oil that I received from a friend for free last year..I plan to to an UOA on that oil later this year also. "Dnewton" is correct about the possibility of fuel contamination with your year of duramax. Just keep an eye on fuel contamination if you plan to extend you change intervals.

Dave and Ponch both make good points,
I am cheap and instead of doing a $xx UOA I rather drop the oil and put in fresh oil after x miles and be conservative.

congrats of a great buy, and good decision on UOA to get the baseline for the motor.
Like Dave, I luv the dmax, I don't get to drive it much due the divorce/work issues.
I use syn oil as it helps with noise in winter for short tips when it is -10F outside.

just stick to a common sense schedule

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back