Bring on the spark plug debate!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: DBMaster
A Mazda tech bulletin from Hiroshima states that the Mazda Skyactiv-G engine must use the iridium/platinum hybrid plugs to avoid misfire or "driveability issues." I am guessing that it's probably due to the engine's 12:1 compression ratio.

I doubt it. THe iridium center electrode tip and platinum disc on the ground electrode are for longevity.

the VW 3.6L VR6 spark plugs are the NGK Laser Iridiums which are exactly that.

Originally Posted By: UG_Passat
A Mazda tech bulletin from Hiroshima states that the Mazda Skyactiv-G engine must use the iridium/platinum hybrid plugs to avoid misfire or "driveability issues." I am guessing that it's probably due to the engine's 12:1 compression ratio.

I doubt it. THe iridium center electrode tip and platinum disc on the ground electrode are for longevity.

That's apples and oranges.... VW has a long way to go to get the efficiency up to Mazda's level (minus the TDI's)

Originally Posted By: 229
No debate....Use OEM.

yes!

Spark plug threads on here.......

18.gif
18.gif
18.gif

Originally Posted By: freshcedar
I knew there must be a reason silver plugs are never used. Very informative, thanks. At the end of the day, I'm not too concerned with what plugs to use. I'll probably just stick with OEM, which I did with the car I just got. Some say off-brand or 'american' spark plugs shouldn't be used in Asian cars, and vice versa.

Adding to the confusion is that some ACDelco plugs are made by NGK, and that some GM cars like the Saturn S-series take only NGK plugs.

At one point, ACDelco plugs were much different from other plugs.

NGK are no better or worse than any other brand for quality and reliability. The important part is to use the PROPER application.

It's pretty funny to see the NGK marketing guys always popping up around here claiming that they are "better" than all the other brands. No they are not as long as you use the proper application.

If your vehicle calls for one electrode your replacement plug must have the same. Heat range must be the same. Plug length, thread pitch, as well must be properly matched.

I guarantee you that if you use a Bosch plug that is properly matched to an asian car it will perform as well as the OEM and be just as durable. Same goes for Autolite, or Denso or any of the other major brands that make quality products.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: PZR2874

That's apples and oranges.... VW has a long way to go to get the efficiency up to Mazda's level (minus the TDI's)

How is it apples and oranges? Both the 3.6L VR6 and skyactiv-G are direct injection engines.

Futhermore, in Europe, let's say..Audi's 3.2L FSI engines, it can run in the Ultra-lean burn mode (Stratified), about 40:1 air:fuel ratio AND has a 12.5:1 .... it uses platinum plugs.

I don't see the apples to oranges comparison

Last edited:
my performance cars go with coppers (ngk)
my daily gets platinum (Motorcraft) as i'm not going to potentially screw up what three threads i have for the spark plugs...

Originally Posted By: Nephets

my daily gets platinum (Motorcraft) as i'm not going to potentially screw up what three threads i have for the spark plugs...

I know what you mean, I sweat bullets changing the plugs on my '97 Grand Marquis. I torqued them down dry , NO anti-seize! Thankfully I never blew out a plug.

Originally Posted By: PZR2874

How is it apples and oranges? Both the 3.6L VR6 and skyactiv-G are direct injection engines.

Futhermore, in Europe, let's say..Audi's 3.2L FSI engines, it can run in the Ultra-lean burn mode (Stratified), about 40:1 air:fuel ratio AND has a 12.5:1 .... it uses platinum plugs.

I don't see the apples to oranges comparison

I'm talking efficiency. Sorry about that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back