Auto-RX looks to have eliminated my oil use

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm happy to report some encouraging evidence with my 1999 Kawasaki KLR650 motorcycle. I bought it used, and I did a couple of short OCIs with Shell Rotella to clean up after the previous owner's oil that had been in service way too long.

Even after this, though, it used about 12 oz. of oil in 2,000 miles. So, following Terry's advice I rode about 500 miles to burn off enough oil to make room for some Auto-RX, changed the oil filter and added 5 oz of Frank's favorite. This brought my oil level just a hair above full.

I've been keeping a casual eye on my oil level for the last 1,000 miles and it didn't look like it was going down any further, but I've been really busy with work and haven't taken the time to get the bike properly level and get an accurate measure. I finally took the time tonight to do an accurate measurement, and I'm happy to report that the oil level is now only a hair below full. I'm guessing it's about 1-2 oz down based on my previous measured adds.

Yea! The bike would have burned about 6 oz previously, so I'm pretty happy with the results. The 1-2 oz of oil were probably used right after I first added the Auto-RX, but before the Auto-RX could clean the rings up and help them seal completely. All this goodness and I still have 500 miles of cleaning action left to go, not to mention the rinse stage, too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back