More on Why DHS Ammo Buying

Status
Not open for further replies.
All of the agencies mentioned, as well as other federal law enforcement agencies not mentioned, are purchasing the ammo UNDER the DHS contract.

Thus, when the supplier (vendor) lists how much ammo is being purchased for a given period, it reflects how much has been ordered under the DHS contract, not necessarily how much is being shipped to DHS agencies.

DHS has negotiated a contract for ammunition of various calibers with a vendor (likely ATK, but maybe not). Rather than waste money negotiating a separate contract with ATK by each and every L.E. agency in existence, most federal law enforcement agencies simply order under one contract that is already in place. In this case, it's the DHS contract.

And keep in mind it's for five years. And keep in mind it locks in a price for the next five years versus paying a price for ammuntion that only God knows where it will be in two, three, or five years.

Everyone relax. Focus on your UOAs and finding me 5-qt. jugs of Ultra 0w-20 for $12.97 as some have posted elsewhere.

Originally Posted By: dkryan

++1

'Splain to the conspiracy theorists that the Federal Law Enforcement Training Center in Brunswick, GA is under the DHS and based on the number of Feds they train, they use a lot of ammo!

Those training centers are on record as using 15 million rounds a year. As of Nov of last year, DHS has 264 million rounds in inventory, and plans to spend $37 million more this year on ammunition.

All of this could simply be incompetence at any level of DHS. From the purchasing department to the inventory, but the numbers that DHS put out:
http://www.coburn.senate.gov/public/inde...76-1745c21519c2

are very odd indeed.

They show DHS expending ~100 million rounds in a 3 year period. Why in the world would they have any possible reason to issue an "up to" 2 billion round contract over 5 years?

It seems more likely to me that the federal goverment was simply acting to lock in the price of ammunition for the next five years, and to create a situation where their ammunition vendor(s) have an obligation to deliver products to government agencies FIRST. Seems to me that at the first hint of the ammo shortage they acted to ensure they would not be part of the shortage.

In short, I think the DHS order amounts to nothing more than panic buying; same thing the rest of us are doing

Originally Posted By: HerrStig
If the "straight answer" is so EASY, why doesn't fat Janet just stand up and explain it all to us.

She doesn't have too.

She doesn't work for us, not being an elected offical.

I dislike DHS on a fundamental level.

Historically the US has always had a pretty small poorly funded standing army which is what the Founding Fathers desired and I beleive was correct.

After the Civil War we had the largest most modern Navy in the world and it scared the [censored] out of the Europeans. Over the next 20 years we let out Navy rot and fall apart.

This all changed drastically after the Korean War with the ramp up of the cold war. I partly blame the military industrial complex for this as well. Now since their is always a "threat" and has been since 1955 it justifies this massive military. It also must be used so the President must deploy this military every few years to remind people of the threat. Most of the time its poorly planned and goes off as such.

9/11 provided a constant "threat" to people at home which had been their for 20 years just no one noticed to much. Not many people paid much attention to the BBC broadcasts in the 90's of all the death to America rallies in the Middle East I guess, anyway. So with a constant threat comes a solution that the military industrial complex is only to happy to provide! The DHS and essentially a homeland army which is what its turning into.

Its un Constitutional plan and simple. The Founding Fathers understood well the dangers of such an organization. Its primary objective is "internal" threats. But who defines internal threats? Communists? are they threats? Muslims? Firearms owners? See internal threat is a moving target, its whoever the government decides to make a threat, or use the popular term of "terrorist". People tend to forget though that one mans "terrorist" is another mans "patriot" or "freedom fighter".

Historically the more powerful a government becomes the more paranoid it gets. Not one powerful government in history didn't have a strong defense mechanism to protect against internal threats. The US Government made theirs official with the DHS, and like all government agencies it will have a natural tendency to grow and want to expand itself. Hence the purchase of all the cool toys.

All I can say is I hope they run out of money soon, defunding is the only way to kill this monster.

Last edited:
Every American should be deeply suspicious of DHS.

Now that they are 'big time' they will protect themselves from cutbacks and defend any 'turf' they have won from the many other agencies (FBI, etc.) that they compete with.

Their overseer is a scary woman, and they have WAY too much unrestrained power and influence!

Originally Posted By: Trajan
Originally Posted By: HerrStig
If the "straight answer" is so EASY, why doesn't fat Janet just stand up and explain it all to us.

She doesn't have too.

She doesn't work for us, not being an elected offical.

If she's spending your money, then she has to be able to.

If she's locking in a near monopoly supplier for an extensive period of time, even moreso.

AND Janets paycheck is funded by dollars taken out of my paycheck every two weeks. She and every federal and state of Virginia employee does work for me.

Originally Posted By: Astro14
I live in hurricane country - but I take the same approach as I did in blizzard country: self-reliance.

I always had extra fuel, food, water, cash and yes, ammo.

I have over 150 quarts of oil too, but that's just hedging the price and buying lots when I get a great deal...I can get through a natural disaster without an oil change.

I am always disappointed, but not surprised, by those who fail to prepare for the unexpected.

I agree... perhaps for the second time in this thread,
01.gif

Is the DHS buying 1 million magazines also? If not, what would explain the shortage of magazines?

Originally Posted By: whip
Is the DHS buying 1 million magazines also? If not, what would explain the shortage of magazines?

demand over supply...given the climate.

As others have said, is DHS actually buying or did they negotiate a 'contract vehicle' that is available to any federal agency.

While I don't necessarily trust big government, I know enough about how it works to suspect that this is simply a contract vehicle available to multiple agencies.

Originally Posted By: hattaresguy
. Not many people paid much attention to the BBC broadcasts in the 90's of all the death to America rallies in the Middle East I guess, anyway.

ever why those rallies occurred?

Originally Posted By: salesrep
Originally Posted By: whip

demand over supply...given the climate.

Wouldn't the same thing apply to ammo? Why all of the conspiracies?

You guys haven't figured out the story is just the usual tea party wingnut [censored] designed to manipulate you?

Originally Posted By: javacontour
As others have said, is DHS actually buying or did they negotiate a 'contract vehicle' that is available to any federal agency.

While I don't necessarily trust big government, I know enough about how it works to suspect that this is simply a contract vehicle available to multiple agencies.

+++++1

Originally Posted By: FXjohn
Originally Posted By: hattaresguy
. Not many people paid much attention to the BBC broadcasts in the 90's of all the death to America rallies in the Middle East I guess, anyway.

ever why those rallies occurred?

Because we did some dumb [censored].

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back