Trans fluid recommendation for 2010 V6 Tacoma

Status
Not open for further replies.
Stumbled across BITOG over at Tacoma World- great site! After poking around for a few hours, i realize this is a bit over my head so i thought i'd ask for some help.

I have a 2010 double cab 4.0L V6 (1GR-FE) 4x4 Tacoma w/ 29k miles on it & just did the 30k service myself. I converted to Mobil 1 synthetic 5w30 oil & put Mobil 1 75w90 gear oil in front & rear differentials & transfer case. My transmission fluid doesn't need attention until 60k, but i thought i'd get ahead.

As you know, Toyota calls for their ATF WS fluid in my truck. My (limited) understanding is that the Toyota WS fluid is so so. Are their any advantages to going to a WS approved synthetic? I read about a Tacoma owner using Mobil 1 in his truck with great results even though it's not WS approved.

I don't do any off roading, but i do tow a trailer 30-40 times a year. thanks in advance for the advice.

The WS is a pretty good fluid, and it is very thin. There are not many one size fits all ATF's that have the same viscosity (most are thicker, closer to T-IV, M1 being a good example). AmsOil ATL would be an example of an aftermarket product that would be a better fit as it is much thinner.

Honestly, though, I would go to the dealer for this if the price is reasonable. The engine and diffs are a good candidate for an aftermarket product because comparable products are common. I would bet dollars to donuts the WS at the dealer is cheaper than the AmsOil from anywhere. (and for what it's worth I don't buy into a better/worse for products where there is no way to scientifically test it, I assume the products are the same).

No use WS fluid make Toyota spirit angry....
31.gif

Any qualified lube is going to do a fine job overall. Generally, synthetics will get you longer OCIs.

Your general area probably does not warrant consideration for syns when it comes to temps, but not knowing your specifics, I'm just guessing here.

Toyota's products (the Tacoma and that v-6 in particular) are very robust and will last a long time with good routine service. I presume you have the towing package on your truck; it is well equipment to handle anything you're probably going to use it for.

I have a buddy that has a 2007 Tacoma nearly identical to yours; we did Mobil 1 products for the diffs, tranny and xfer as well. He won't have to service the drivetrain again for a long time.

One caution here; if you choose to not use approved fluids, there is risk should you have a warranty claim, however remote a chance that might be.

Caveot Emptor ...

For trailer towing it's hard to beat a really stout product like the line of fluids Amsoil offers. It's a bit more expensive but since you rarely change trans fluids the cost isn't that big of a deal.

Amsoil has a product selector to assist you in finding the correct fluid for your vehicle.

There is a really good process a guy put together at TW for the transmission cooler line flush and it works like a champ; look in the sticky's. Anyway, if you are under warranty stick with Toyota WS, don't give Toyota a reason to void your powertrain warranty. If you don't care about the warranty there are many loyalists at both sites but Redline D4, Mobil 1 are popular choices. I have used D4 in my Tacoma with zero adverse effects, I have used D4 in my Cutlass for over 10 years and the O/D trans loves it. I used D4 in my wifes Honda Accord V6 for a long time but the trans. finally gave up at 188K which was a pretty good lifespan with the design flaws they had. Take the pain and do the pan drop to get rid of all the initial break-in crud and start squeaky clean and your Taco will love you.

Originally Posted By: 86cutlass307
There is a really good process a guy put together at TW for the transmission cooler line flush and it works like a champ; look in the sticky's. Anyway, if you are under warranty stick with Toyota WS, don't give Toyota a reason to void your powertrain warranty. If you don't care about the warranty there are many loyalists at both sites but Redline D4, Mobil 1 are popular choices. I have used D4 in my Tacoma with zero adverse effects, I have used D4 in my Cutlass for over 10 years and the O/D trans loves it. I used D4 in my wifes Honda Accord V6 for a long time but the trans. finally gave up at 188K which was a pretty good lifespan with the design flaws they had. Take the pain and do the pan drop to get rid of all the initial break-in crud and start squeaky clean and your Taco will love you.

^ +1.

I did the cooler line flush that is detailed over on Tacoma World. Worked fine. I used one of the fluid transfer pumps that is available for about 10 bucks at Auto Zone or Wal-Mart to put fluid back in. Worked fine, just a little messy.

Ended up going with the Toyota WS because the dealer was willing to give me wholesale price since I bought 15 quarts.

Old fluid was fairly clean even after 100,000 miles.

Serviced the diff at the same time with Mobil 1.

Truck has had either M1 or M1-EP in the crankcase since 3000 miles, and the powertrain performs as new, with 109,000+ miles.

Only major job I've had to do was replacing the driveshaft U-joints (rear-most joint started squeaking at about 95,000 miles). I went ahead and replaced all three while I had the driveshaft out. Not a hard job at all - there are only 6 bolts to take out to remove the shaft. The ball joint/U-joint press that you can borrow from Auto Zone works great for pressing out the old U-joints and pressing the new ones in. Much better than beating them out with a hammer!

I did the cooler line flush on my 4Runner. I replaced the factory fill WS with MaxLife. So far, so good. 10k+ miles.

I tried the Idemitsu TLS-LV in our '08 XB which calls for WS. Works great, and it's the proper viscosity.

The TLS-LV is Idemitsu's toyota WS specific replacement. I got mine through Worldpac.

super helpful feedback!

i hadn't considered voiding my power train warranty with something other than Toyota WS. Then again, it's not due to be changed til 60k when the warranty is up. Sounds like Valvoline Max Life is a good option then.

With the Camelback Toyota deal that Chuy mentioned ($6.73/qt), WS & Max Life are close in cost. jeff194 & Bandito44, I don't have any complaints about the shifting currently, were the shifting improvements w/ the MaxLIfe in the Taco that significant? any change in fuel milage?

I think 60k is a good time to change out WS in any Toyota. At that point, the warranty is not a concern anyhow. It's certainly not a lifetime fluid.

At 71k miles, I didn't think there was anything wrong with it before the flush. After, I felt the shifts were faster and smoother. Maxlife is advertised as synthetic and priced right. WS is possibly not, and very overpriced at many dealers.

Here's something I just noticed: Maxlife gallons are absent from many Auto Zone stores now. I found them listed as in stock at one for $13.50 per GALLON. Clearanced, I assume. I'd check the Auto Zones near you. You might find a deal.

Originally Posted By: Bandito440
I think 60k is a good time to change out WS in any Toyota. At that point, the warranty is not a concern anyhow. It's certainly not a lifetime fluid.

At 71k miles, I didn't think there was anything wrong with it before the flush. After, I felt the shifts were faster and smoother. Maxlife is advertised as synthetic and priced right. WS is possibly not, and very overpriced at many dealers.

Here's something I just noticed: Maxlife gallons are absent from many Auto Zone stores now. I found them listed as in stock at one for $13.50 per GALLON. Clearanced, I assume. I'd check the Auto Zones near you. You might find a deal.

wow! i may go snag a few gallons today- thanks for finding that

Originally Posted By: Pablo
Amsoil ATL will not void your warranty.

The dealers in Cleveland will void your warranty if you use anything but WS. You can scream Magnusson Moss Warranty all you want and they will tell you to sue.

Originally Posted By: Doog
Originally Posted By: Pablo
Amsoil ATL will not void your warranty.

The dealers in Cleveland will void your warranty if you use anything but WS. You can scream Magnusson Moss Warranty all you want and they will tell you to sue.

A letter to Toyota should solve that: Can I use Maxlife or will you be providing free WS? I've had a few problems with ignorant dealers that had to be educated by Toyota.

There seems to be general agreement that in Toyota transmissions requiring WS fluid, 60,000 miles is a good time to flush the fluid, or at least do a pan drain. Why this argument about the Maxlife or Amsoil "equivanent?" Unless your warranty is an 'extended' one, your powertrain warranty ceases at 60,000 miles anyway, so use what you wish...repairs are now on your dime. At most, 90+% of you will trade your Toyota after 1 or 2 60K flushes, and WS is not much (if any) more expensive than the Amsoil or Maxlife. I have pan-drained the T-IV in our old 2003 Tundra every 15,000 (we use it for towing) and it still shifts perfectly at 140,000 miles. On the 2010 V-6 Camry, I will, at 60,000 do a fluid transfer replacing the WS with WS. The 96 V-6 Camry with almost 300,000 miles on it, calls for Dexron II, so I have always used Mobil-1 Dexron/Mercon in it, pan-drained at 20 to 36,000 intervals, with a fluid transfer at 165,ooo miles, and plan to do another complete transfer in a few thousand miles at the 300,000 mark. All 3 transmissions shift perfectly (just like they did when I bought them new) and none of them leak. None of the 3 have given any trouble whatsoever, testimony to the excellence of the Aisin designs and the use of the Toyota recommended fluids, changed at or before the factory recommended intervals. This ain't rocket science, folks!

other universal fluids will work, but may alter the shift feel.

WS is a thinner fluid. Amsoil has a low-viscocity ATF that supports WS and Dex-VI.

I bought my tundra after the PO had the dealer flush the WS with new synthetic fluid. dealer, which gets high marks locally, used, BG synthetic. it drove fine, the shifts were very pronounced. did not feel out of place for a truck.

but after doing my homework, I decided I didn't like that. So I swapped in the amsoil low-vis ATF. Wow--- I only did about half the capacity @ 4qts but it was a noticeable difference. shifts are quicker, and "snick" into gear immediately, with NO harsheness, clunkiness. it was a huge difference, all for the better, and also no slipping, flaring, or mushing into gear. crisp and clean.

So while other universals may work, I'd stay with one that is more specialized towards the specific trans in this vehicle.

When I do it again, it will be amsoil.

Last edited:
Quote:
A letter to Toyota should solve that: Can I use Maxlife or will you be providing free WS? I've had a few problems with ignorant dealers that had to be educated by Toyota.

BAndito, I like that but you make too much sense.

I too find dealers are often ignorant about lubricants and warranties.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back