Need a new bike frame.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Found a Caloi mtb frame (polished) in excellent condition for $75.Question is should I even think about using my current no name (non-sealed cartridge) bottom bracket,or spring for a sealed BB?...Would the frame be worth this type of upgrade?
It's one of their higher end models although I can't find the actual name of the frame but it is an mtb and was used up to their $1100 model .Hard to get info on this frame.

This won't be ridden too hard mostly for close-in transportation to a PT /afterschool job for my son,that seems to 'find' the weakness of every bike he's had.

Any ideas or should I pass on the frame.

A basic sealed bb is cheap these days, with shimano un-54 going for under $30. Just be sure to get the proper shell width and spindle length.

Is it necessary on a commuter? Well that's up to you. If you maintain the loose ball BB well it may last longer but they also require more frequent adjustment and overhaul.

I haven't been on bitog for a few weeks now,so thank you for recommendation on a sealed BB. I don't have the specific wrenches or socket needed ,I'll leave that to the LBS.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back