Cut Open Comparison Purolator PureOne vs Synthetic

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is my first time cutting open an oil filter. I started out with a hack saw and 2 mins in pulled out my die grinder to speed things up.

The filters being compared are a Purolator PureOne PL20195 and Purolator Synthetic PSL20195. These were used on my 2007 Ford Focus with 65k miles. Mostly highway driving.

Pennzoil Ultra 5w20 was used for both, approximately 5k miles on each filter.

IMG_2910_zps01e59b40.jpg

IMG_2911_zpse22455d2.jpg

IMG_2912_zpsb27d18b5.jpg

IMG_2913_zpsf0627b80.jpg

IMG_2914_zpsf8b3c11d.jpg

PureOne
IMG_2917_zps6e34b5c4.jpg

Synthetic
IMG_2918_zpsd6d60f0b.jpg

Left-PureOne, Right-Synthetic
IMG_2919_zps6c9efd13.jpg

IMG_2920_zps6d02be45.jpg

IMG_2921_zps2cee2aa3.jpg

Top-Synthetic, Bottom-PureOne
IMG_2922_zpsccfe15a7.jpg

Top-Synthetic, Bottom-PureOne
IMG_2923_zps7d129c32.jpg

Closeup - PureOne
IMG_2924_zps8453b2d2.jpg

Closeup - PureOne
IMG_2925_zps3b0547f7.jpg

Closeup - PureOne
IMG_2926_zpsee88eb25.jpg

Closeup - Synthetic
IMG_2927_zps64ea16ab.jpg

Closeup - Synthetic
IMG_2928_zps2d86ea06.jpg

Closeup - Synthetic
IMG_2929_zps799cc5bd.jpg

Closeup - Synthetic
IMG_2930_zpsf64e22e5.jpg

Both feel pretty solid in terms of construction.

I did notice that one or two pleats on the PureOne were kind of bent over. I'm unsure of the cause of this. It's possible that this was a manufacturing defect or maybe the oil flow could have caused the pleat to fold. The filter media on the PureOne did seem more paper like (cellulose).

The Synthetic media seems more stout due to the wire mesh backing. I want to say that the Synthetic media also flows better. Both filters still had some oil in it and when I pulled up the media out of the can the oil flowed out much quicker through the Synthetic vs the PureOne. This was just an observation, nothing conclusive of course without testing.

I've been noticing more and more PureOnes with pleats folded over in other posts. Even though nothing technically failed on the PureOne....I'm inclined to stick with the Synthetics, Fram Ultras, or Napa Platinums for all future oil changes since all three have wire mesh backing.

Wow! thanks for posting! This is the same experiment I'm running on my GS300, same filter even, PSL20195. You beat me to it.

Thanks, Umibozu. Great pics. Interesting point about the synthetic holding the shape of the pleats better. Get your bowl of popcorn and sit back to follow the discussion on this one.

Thanks for posting the pictures.

Synthetic seems to be better filter, but with less than 10k OCI P1 is more than adequate. If I extend my OCI to 13-15k miles or more then I'll use one of those synthetic filters.

Good experiment, as always thanks for cutting and posting! I must say those pics of the synthetic filter leave me rather underwhelmed.
frown.gif
Have some of those pleats actually collapsed into each other or am I seeing things?

Thanks for sharing the experiment!

Quick question - do you face any clearance issues running these longer filters in your Focus? (I believe these are the Motorcraft 400 equivalent?)

Originally Posted By: Hyde244
Thanks for sharing the experiment!

Quick question - do you face any clearance issues running these longer filters in your Focus? (I believe these are the Motorcraft 400 equivalent?)

No clearance issues for me. Even with the additional height they do not extend past the undercarriage plastic guard.

I am in no way trying to hijack this thread but just stating observation myself...Napa platinum and Fram Ultra seem to have much better construction compared to the PuroSyn. If you don't believe me try either one.

Thank you for posting the great pics.

I was comparing napa gold against some six filters I had in stock and they seem to me to be identical. I'll know for sure when I cut them open.
The filter pics above are interesting. The syn filter seems to have less pleats. Do they have the same filtering efficiency rating.
Thanks for taking the time to cut them open and posting pics for us

Originally Posted By: Clevy
The filter pics above are interesting. The syn filter seems to have less pleats. Do they have the same filtering efficiency rating.

Full synthetic media is "deeper" than regular cellulose media. Therefore, you can't really compare surface area to surface area.

Purolator synthetic is rated at 99% @ 25 microns.
http://www.purolatorautofilters.net/products/oil_filters/Pages/SyntheticOilFilters.aspx

Purolator PureOne is rated at 99.9% @ 20 microns.
http://www.purolatorautofilters.net/products/oil_filters/Pages/pureoneoilfilters.aspx

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
The pureone looks like it held up better to me

^^2nd

I agree with both of you on this. And, as I was looking at the pics I just kept thinking to my self how these filters look so much alike, but how much better the P1 looks.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
Originally Posted By: Clevy

Full synthetic media is "deeper" than regular cellulose media. Therefore, you can't really compare surface area to surface area.

Purolator synthetic is rated at 99% @ 25 microns.
http://www.purolatorautofilters.net/products/oil_filters/Pages/SyntheticOilFilters.aspx

Purolator PureOne is rated at 99.9% @ 20 microns.
http://www.purolatorautofilters.net/products/oil_filters/Pages/pureoneoilfilters.aspx

Fair enough. Thank you

Originally Posted By: chubbs1
I am in no way trying to hijack this thread but just stating observation myself...Napa platinum and Fram Ultra seem to have much better construction compared to the PuroSyn. If you don't believe me try either one.

Based on some posts I saw of an unused Napa Platinum and used/unused Fram Ultras, I agree. The pleat consistency/thickness seemed much better. Napa Platinum seem to have the most stout overall construction.

I have a Fram Ultra on my wife's car, I'm anxious to cut that one up to compare.

Originally Posted By: Umibozu
Originally Posted By: chubbs1

Based on some posts I saw of an unused Napa Platinum and used/unused Fram Ultras, I agree. The pleat consistency/thickness seemed much better. Napa Platinum seem to have the most stout overall construction.

I have a Fram Ultra on my wife's car, I'm anxious to cut that one up to compare.

I say you go remove that bad boy right now and start cutting it up!
grin.gif

Originally Posted By: BlueOvalFitter
Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
The pureone looks like it held up better to me

^^2nd

I agree with both of you on this. And, as I was looking at the pics I just kept thinking to my self how these filters look so much alike, but how much better the P1 looks.

The P1 does look a lot better. I just feel so handicapped when observing oil filters because we're limited to visual observations.

Originally Posted By: Roob
Thanks for this. It confirms my recent purchase(Amazon) of two Pure ones for my accord. PL14610:)
Cheers.

Roob, I noticed in your signature that you own a 07 Honda Accord. Does your owners manual read that Honda recommends using an oil filter for multiple OCI's, and if so, do you follow this procedure?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back