Shoe Goo? Anything better out there?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is there a better product now than Shoe Goo?

I have a boot with a molded sole that is starting to separate, and I'd like to re-glue it, so that it doesn't get any worse.

I did see some info that some have moved on to a product called FreeSole.

That is my favorite glue. The exact same thing as

Carpenters Goop, Amazing Goop, and various other glues ending with "Goop". I've never used it on shoes, but it works great on everything else.

BTW, this stuff looks just like Silicone Seal, but is better. Once Silicone Seal is opened, then not used for a while, the stuff in the tube thickens and hardens. Goop flows out of the tube even when the opened tube has been sitting for a long time. I also prefer to buy the small tubes as it may take me two or three years to use up a large tube.

A fresh tube of shoe-goo is hard to beat. However, sometimes the repacked variations of "goop" brand products don't live up to the name. Not sure why. But, I've had tubes of x-goop purchased at homeless depot, that simply did not work. Never adhered to anything.

One other alternative, a hot glue gun. But, be aware, there are variations there too. Some hot glue sticks are awful, and some are quite good. Of all stupid things, I purchased a stanley hot glue gun at target, and it came with some "regular" and some "super" sticks. The "super" ones are truly good.

A cobbler would use contact cement. Liquid Nails. This why my work boots have a welt sole that is stitched onto the boot. Molded soles dont hold up to hard use.

Out of nostalgia, I try to buy American made boots. Brockton, MA was the shoe making center of the 20th century. I visit the Brockton Town Hall a few times a week. Lately, I am seeing Her honor the Mayor in my passings through its halls.

One of the best contact cements ever made is 3M, 1357. It's available in at least 2 colors (tan and greenish/brown) , and is neoprene based. Once opened, it must be used within a reasonable time. It won't last a year once opened, for example.

It is the adhesive of choice in Corporate jet interiors. Where interior panels, upholstery and carpets cannot have adhesive failures. A $7 million interior can't have flaws.

Be aware that some CA (super glues) don't hold up well to humid conditions, or put another way, they are weaker when wet or hot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back