Pablo, are Amsoil oil filters stillthe best?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I looked at the website. Why did they change them? They use to be 98.7% efficient at 15 microns. Now it's 20? [censored]?

Originally Posted By: motor_oil_madman
I looked at the website. Why did they change them? They use to be 98.7% efficient at 15 microns. Now it's 20? [censored]?

Same as Fram rock catchers....which is why I like Fram...sooner or later every manufacturer starts to copy Fram.
lol.gif

Reactions: JC1
Same extended drain media. Amsoil has moved away from Wix as an assembly house for certain filters and now uses Champ.

The changes the guys are talking about occurred several years ago when certain Honda/Toyota filters became too restrictive during extended drains. This was beaten to death by the haters here. One guy predicted thousands of dead engines and Amsoil failing and going out of business. Of course, none of these things happened.

Originally Posted By: Doog

Same as Fram rock catchers....which is why I like Fram...sooner or later every manufacturer starts to copy Fram.
lol.gif

The Chinese "dollar each" drippy lube specials do anyway.

i wonder what they chnged cause i have three amsoil filters that say 98.7% at 15 microns

Likely changed once someone else started making them.
I think its a step in the wrong direction not having wix make all their filters. Looks like napa golds for me.

Originally Posted By: Clevy
i wonder what they chnged cause i have three amsoil filters that say 98.7% at 15 microns

I think its a step in the wrong direction not having wix make all their filters. Looks like napa golds for me.

The change from Wix had nothing to do with the media. Wix never made all the filters anyway. Napa gold filters are fine, but they don't have the same Donaldson media that the Amsoil filters use.

I have used the Amsoil Synthetic Media Oil Filters and they are a quality product. I know many people who do extended drains and they are happy with these oil filters.

Originally Posted By: V8man
I have used the Amsoil Synthetic Media Oil Filters and they are a quality product. I know many people who do extended drains and they are happy with these oil filters.

Amen!

Hi Pablo!
Exactly why did the previous Amsoil filters for "certain Honda/Toyota" ... "became too restrictive during extended drains. ..."

At what intervals will these previous Amsoil filters still not become "too restrictive" ?

In closing, even if the Amsoil filter has become too restrictive, will it start releasing "previously trapped dirt etc." into the engine OR will it just affect fuel economy (after the filter has become too restrictive) ?

Originally Posted By: fpracha
Hi Pablo!
Exactly why did the previous Amsoil filters for "certain Honda/Toyota" ... "became too restrictive during extended drains. ..."

At what intervals will these previous Amsoil filters still not become "too restrictive" ?

In closing, even if the Amsoil filter has become too restrictive, will it start releasing "previously trapped dirt etc." into the engine OR will it just affect fuel economy (after the filter has become too restrictive) ?

Why? The media filled up as stated.

When? I think 15K-25K miles. But even then, it was quite rare.

I think it would have gone into bypass at some point.

Originally Posted By: Pablo
Originally Posted By: Clevy

The change from Wix had nothing to do with the media. Wix never made all the filters anyway. Napa gold filters are fine, but they don't have the same Donaldson media that the Amsoil filters use.

^This.

I'd take Donaldson over WIX any day
wink.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back