Making pure gas from E10?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: tig1
Why would you want to do this?

Go to any Landscaping shop that repairs equipment and ask about Ethanol in fuel.
Apples to Oranges some may say...
But it does, at a minimum, cost MPG with E10 vs E0.

My handwritten numbers coincide within 0.02% of an App I use as well as the ScanGuages.

A good alternative is to run Lucas fuel treatment in your gas. It mixes with your gas and gives everything a slightly oily coating. Works well for lubing elec fuel pumps in your car. Mix 3 oz per 10 gal gas. You could also run the gas out of your small engines before putting them away for the winter.

Last edited:
Consumer Reports in the latest issue advocates buying eight buck a quart "pure gas" from Hagar's Dustbin and such places for OPE, and CU isn't often encouraging "free spending" on such things unless there is a reason.

Originally Posted By: Silverado12
A good alternative is to run Lucas fuel treatment in your gas. It mixes with your gas and gives everything a slightly oily coating. Works well for lubing elec fuel pumps in your car. Mix 3 oz per 10 gal gas. You could also run the gas out of your small engines before putting them away for the winter.
Lucas may do nothing more than coat the inside of a motorcycle fuel tank during storage, but that's enough reason for me to keep some around for the two wheel fleet.

I just use Stabil generously and call it a day. Believe it or not the PP/PU and clean air filters have the biggest impact on my lawnmower. The Stabil keeps the gas fresh even into the next year, so I don't really stress about that part of the equation. It includes a carb cleaner and would stabilize even E0 gas...

OK, question on the fuel washing - what do you do with the byproduct (water + ethanol)?? Can it be used for anything?

Shaman,
great thinking

methylated spirits is about $3-6 a litre here, the ethanol component of petrol 15c, or $1.50 neat

Washed gas works great in small engines.
What is washed out is alcohol and water, so then let it dry out in the air.
such as poured out on the driveway.

The government should make washing gasoline a punishable crime as it works so well and circumvents the EPA polluting the air rules.
If you see your neighbor doing these things, can't you call the EPA on them and get a reward for being a snitch?
I think the government encourages this behavior.

I don't think washing gas would become a widespread problem. Why would anyone throw away BTU's in the form of alcohol that they paid for. I only do it for equipment that would suffer from phase separation.

BTW, the water and alcohol mix I decant from washed gasoline has no trace of gasoline smell. No need for hazmat. It's safe to throw on the ground.

I also wonder why anyone would do this. I have used E10 in riding lawn mowers, small engines, portable generators, etc for years. Some of them will sit for some time between uses. I have never had any issues. I do add PRI-G stabilizer to the gas that goes into these. This phase separation thing and other ideas, usually promoted by those that have some sort of ethanol phobia, I have never concerned myself with.... in almost 4 decades of ethanal blend gas use.

But to each his own. I never chide anyone for being cautious if their gut tells them to. I just never wasted any time worrying about such things.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back