Oil for Mercedes Slk 230 Kompressor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello everyone, I would like some advice on a good oil to use in my kompressor, currently use the Shell Helix Ultra 5W40 is said to be an excellent oil, but I would like to move on to something less viscous type 0W30, risk of doing damage with this viscosity? The use of my car is mostly over short distances of about 15-25 km, normal driving with light foot between 1500 and 2500 rpm, some pulled up to 5000 rpm, operating temperatures from 0 ° to 40 ° Winter Summer I live in the south of Italy. I took a look at several good oils: Amsoil Signature 0W30, 0W30 Redline, Mobil 1 AFE 0W30, Pennzoil 5w30 ... I'm really confused, I accept the advice of any kind.

Is castrol 0w-30 available to you? (MB 229.5)

Have you considered 0w-40's?

Shell helix is a very good choice for you, imho. Don't think you will gain much by switching to to 0w-30 at your location. If it makes you feel better as long as it carries your MB spec it certainly won't hurt anything though. What's your MB spec?

Originally Posted By: Giorgiz
I took a look at several good oils: Amsoil Signature 0W30, 0W30 Redline, Mobil 1 AFE 0W30, Pennzoil 5w30 ... I'm really confused, I accept the advice of any kind.

If I remember correctly, your engine calls for an oil meeting the MB 229.5 spec. And if so, none of the oils you mentioned above meet this spec. They couldn't meet this spec because their HT/HS is below 3.5 cP, among other things.

I would just stick with Helix Ultra 5w-40 that you're currently using. If not, M1 0w-40 would also work, or any other oil meeting MB 229.5 spec.

Personally I would use Mobil 1 New Life 0w40.

No point in over thinking it.

You could also consider Castrol Edge 0w40 or a cheaper alternative would be 10w40 Castrol Magnatec (A3, B4).

I think it will come down to what is widely available and I have never been to Italy so don't know what is easy to find.

I would not drop down to a 0w30 or 5w30 myself especially if you like to enjoy the power regularly.

You will find that some of the opinion on the site can be more relevant to the US based driver and whilst given in good faith and well thought out I suspect UK usage is probably closer to your usage.

Especially as you have a supercharger to look after.

A 0w30 or 5w30 would likely be fine but is fine good enough for you?

Here is a list of alternative viscosities from the European Castrol site which was pretty much the same as that published by Mobil.

"Alternative recommendations: -25°C to >30°C, 0W-30; -25°C to >30°C, 5W-30; -25°C to >30°C, 5W-40; -25°C to >30°C, 5W-50; -20°C to >30°C, 10W-30; -20°C to >30°C, 10W-40; -20°C to >30°C, 10W-50; -15°C to >50°C, 15W-40; -15°C to >50°C, 15W-50"

This shows that the engine can take a lot of different viscosities as long as they meet the MB spec.

Got to be Mobil 1 0w40 for me though.

Though your current choice is not a bad one by any means.

And if it is working for you why change what works!

Last edited:
in truth I'm not going to look very specific mb, as my engine, as it was produced in 2000, are "satisfied" the old specification 229.1 mb, therefore all subsequent 229.3, 229.5 are fine. 0W30 oils I mentioned, the only one with specific mb 229.5 is the redline, but I think it's a discourse of trade agreements, I do not think that putting AMSOIL 0W30 HTHS of 3.1 instead of 3.2 as redline you can do so much harm to the engine. Mobil 0W40 I immediately discarded because it is more viscous than the shell that I currently also have a lower cleaning power of the shell, castrol in my part does not have a good reputation, then forgo, I would try to put a good 0W30 oil that has excellent cleaning power, since my engine has almost 170,000 km, no one can tell me of AMSOIL, redline, Mobil1 or afe which is better? I repeat that among these 3 oils, the only one with a specific 229.5 mb is the redline 0w 30.

If I could afford it I would use red line fluids exclusively. That being said their motor oils seem to be hit and miss as far as extended drains are concerned.
So I would use the red line option at 8000km intervals.
However likely the best oil for your application is the euro M1 0w-40. I don't quite understand why you think it's too thick but that's your call. The AFE will be thinner and is a very good product as is amsoil.
Amsoil can likely go longer in the sump as well. Why not try each one and do a uoa and determine an interval based on the data you glean. Likely smarter than just guessing and since you are using a thinner than recommended oil it might be smart to see how they do and see how the wear metals end up.
Keep us updated. We love data and experiences. Especially when you are trying something that isn't quite what the manufacturer suggests.

Originally Posted By: bigjl

You could also consider Castrol Edge 0w40 or a cheaper alternative would be 10w40 Castrol Magnatec (A3, B4).

You will find that some of the opinion on the site can be more relevant to the US based driver and whilst given in good faith and well thought out I suspect UK usage is probably closer to your usage.

Especially as you have a supercharger to look after.

A 0w30 or 5w30 would likely be fine but is fine good enough for you?

Here is a list of alternative viscosities from the European Castrol site which was pretty much the same as that published by Mobil.

"Alternative recommendations: -25°C to >30°C, 0W-30; -25°C to >30°C, 5W-30; -25°C to >30°C, 5W-40; -25°C to >30°C, 5W-50; -20°C to >30°C, 10W-30; -20°C to >30°C, 10W-40; -20°C to >30°C, 10W-50; -15°C to >50°C, 15W-40; -15°C to >50°C, 15W-50"

This post is very misleading

The US posters advised him to use MB spec oils. MB are consistent around the world with their oil specs. They also have many engines in the US that are also sold in Europe. Right now they have turbos and twin turbos in the US that definitely need more robust oil, the same oil recommended in Europe.

There is simply no basis for saying US posters familiar with MB requirements are going to give the wrong advice.

Indeed, you went by SAE viscosity which is not how MB spec their oil. They generally allow 30 or 40 weight oils that meet a myriad of tests under their 229.5 spec including a min HTHSV of 3.5.

By saying Magnatec 10w40 is suitable, based on a UK bias and because it is a 40 weight, completely ignores that it does not meet MB229.5 spec.

Similarly, discounting 30 weight oils because they are 30 weight oils discounts 30 weight oils that meet MB specs.

And then lastly listing alternative viscosities rather than the MB sheet is the final piece of useless information as it implies a wide range of oils are suitable when they are not.

So it is the UK poster who is giving the wrong advice, in no small part due to a characteristic lack of rigor / attention to detail.

OP, don't listen to this poster. Find the right spec sheet and then compare the TDS / PDS of oils on there that you can buy in Italy. To some extent ignore the slightly higher HTHSV of oils like M1 0w40 and compare the VI. M1 0w40 has a much higher VI than Castrol.

Having said that, truly approved oils (Redline isn't approved I believe) meet really high performance characteristics including cleaning and starting viscosities. You can't go wrong with any approved oil, and M1 0w40 is widely considered the best due to its technical characteristics and excellent test results.

redline 0W30 is approved 229.5 mb so this oil is definitely good for my mercedes, I would like to know what advantages and disadvantages do I get with the redline compared to mobil 1 0W40 recommended by you.

redline 0W30 is approved 229.5 mb so this oil is definitely good for my mercedes, I would like to know what advantages and disadvantages do I get with the redline compared to mobil 1 0W40 recommended by you.

Redline is NOT an approved oil for this application. It is RECOMMENDED FOR. COMPLETELY DIFFERENT.

in truth I'm not going to look very specific mb, as my engine, as it was produced in 2000, are "satisfied" the old specification 229.1 mb, therefore all subsequent 229.3, 229.5 are fine.

Then just pick an oil from this list and call it a day:
http://bevo.mercedes-benz.com/bevolisten/229.1_de.html

Personally though, I would be looking at an oil that also meets 229.5 as it is a more stringent spec and therefore assures you get a better oil.

Quote:

0W30 oils I mentioned, the only one with specific mb 229.5 is the redline, but I think it's a discourse of trade agreements, I do not think that putting AMSOIL 0W30 HTHS of 3.1 instead of 3.2 as redline you can do so much harm to the engine.

I know that Redline's website says "Suitable for VW/Audi 503.00 and 503.01, as well as Mercedes Benz 229.3 and 229.5" but I really think it's very misleading. Their 0w-30 has HT/HS of 3.2 cP and therefore could never possibly meet those MB specs.

Quote:

Mobil 0W40 I immediately discarded because it is more viscous than the shell

Are you worried that a higher viscosity spread will result in less shear-stable oil? I think you're worried about the wrong things, to be honest. Slight shearing is not a problem. The problem would be not having enough film strength at high stress high temp conditions which your engine may encounter. The MB spec assures that by specifying the minimum HT/HS.

But if you really want an oil with the smallest viscosity spread and that still meets MB spec, just pick any of the 5w-30 oils on this list:
http://bevo.mercedes-benz.com/bevolisten/229.5_de.html

FWIW, Mobil's oil recommendation tool yields that their 0w-40 is the appropriate lubricant for this application.

Lol the Brits go by Castrol's website and the Italians use Redline.

MB are one of the few manufacturers to provide a comprehensive list of approved oils. Why not go by that?

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
Giorgiz said:
Redline is NOT an approved oil for this application. It is RECOMMENDED FOR. COMPLETELY DIFFERENT.

redline on the site is written clearly 229.3 and 229.5 mb http://www.redlineoil.com/product.aspx?pid=125&pcid=21

Giorgiz, we know what it says. The devil is in the details. It is not officially approved by MB. Redline only says "suitable for", which is not the same as "approved". As I mentioned before, one of the key requirements of the MB spec is that HT/HS has to be at least 3.5 cP. Therefore, this Redline oil could never pass the MB spec test. Personally, i wouldn't even consider it "suitable", but Redline seems to think otherwise for some reason.

Anyway, you don't have to follow our advice if you don't want to. We really don't care what you put in your engine because it is not our engine.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
Giorgiz said:

redline on the site is written clearly 229.3 and 229.5 mb http://www.redlineoil.com/product.aspx?pid=125&pcid=21

No, it doesn't.

It says:

Originally Posted By: Redline
Suitable for VW/Audi 503.00 and 503.01, as well as Mercedes Benz 229.3 and 229.5

Which means they RECOMMEND that particular product for engines that require those specs. It does not, in ANY WAY mean that the product is officially sanctioned by Mercedes for use in their engines, which it isn't.

So you're saying you do not need to trust a brand emblazoned redline as if its oil recommended for the specific mb?

So you're saying you do not need to trust a brand emblazoned redline as if its oil recommended for the specific mb?

They are the one making the recommendation of this oil for your application, not Mercedes Benz. So it is up to you to trust whether you think that their recommendation is sound or not.

Hi,
Giorgiz - M1 0W-40 is the lubricant recommended by MB for these engines here in Australia. These engine can have their problems too!

I have had a number of the "Kompressor" engines like yours and I can confirm that M1 0W-40 is the ideal lubricant. Whilst I live in the tropics my vehicles were used many times in the Snowy Mountains in sub-zero temps

The viscosity range of M1 0W-40 is ideal for these engines and it continues this way throughout the recommended OCI

You can read some UOAs results from my engine(s) here on BITOG

Hi,
Giorgiz - I would consult your local MB Dealer to ensure your engine has had any updates as they were forthcoming

Cam/Balance shaft drive wear, various sensors, cooling system issues, air supply and excessive engine deposits are some

Some may have been handled by modification at recall, some were no doubt caused by poor servicing

However, enjoy the car, I enjoyed mine

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back