valvoline synpower no moly

Status
Not open for further replies.
just wondering why synpower has no moly in it, when most other oils do. does this make it a lesser oil with out this in the ad pack?

Moly is only one of several antiwear/extreme pressure additives in oil and has been around for a long time. Many companies have started to use other, newer compounds including organics that will not show up in spectrographic analysis.

In the end it doesn't matter what VOAs or spec sheets say, what matters is how the oil performs in use and Synpower seems to do just fine in trended UOAs.

If you go to the website you will see the add pack is almost the same for all the oils from Dino to Synthetic. Yet they do well on uoa's those few you can find. Of course these uoa's sometimes do not include TBN/TAN which is important if you want to see the full picture with a uoa. You can do better add pack wise which you can see for yourself. If you are trusting enough why not?? Keep in mind too a dino like PYB has a better add pack than that listed for the whole Valvoline range of oils including the HM ones. You also have to favor sodium in the oil . The GTX and VWB have almost the same add pack wonder why?? Google PQIA you can see all the info re. VOA.

Originally Posted By: ottotheclown
If you go to the website you will see the add pack is almost the same for all the oils from Dino to Synthetic. Yet they do well on uoa's those few you can find. Of course these uoa's sometimes do not include TBN/TAN which is important if you want to see the full picture with a uoa. You can do better add pack wise which you can see for yourself. If you are trusting enough why not?? Keep in mind too a dino like PYB has a better add pack than that listed for the whole Valvoline range of oils including the HM ones. You also have to favor sodium in the oil . The GTX and VWB have almost the same add pack wonder why?? Google PQIA you can see all the info re. VOA.

I believe it is because Ashland does the blending for GTX.

I think they both use the same blender but as always I could be wrong.
Originally Posted By: lexus114

The Valvoline MAxlife has the most moly 168ppm. It is a blend of synpower (around 20%). You can mix synpower wth maxlife 50/50 and make the moly around 100ppm and with 60% group III base.

Why would BP have Ashland blend GTX?

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL

Why would BP have Ashland blend GTX?

I dont honestly know. I thought I read it here somewhere. (my bad)
45.gif

It is sort of odd that moly is found in all the MaxLife oils, and conventional but not Synpower.

Even the wording they use for ML is interesting when they mention that MaxLife contains "Novel" friction modifiers.

It's all about reaching a performane level at a price point and being oils are complex chemical fluids, they probably did it for some reason.

Next Gen has the moly Ashland removed it from all the other like the Red Bottle and the full syn.
smirk.gif
this time around. quote=Maxima97]The Valvoline MAxlife has the most moly 168ppm. It is a blend of synpower (around 20%). You can mix synpower wth maxlife 50/50 and make the moly around 100ppm and with 60% group III base. [/quote]

what new friction modifier is the moly replaced by in synpower. the lack of moly really stands out in ad pack and uoa comparisons. i would think as slick as moly is, the lack of it in synpower would not be advantagious to valvoline promoting sales of their oil without advertizing a better replacement for it.

You have to remember the general public doesn't research anti-wear additives like us BITOGers. Most likely have no idea about which oils have moly or not. They use oils that are popular or that are used by their local tire shop/quick lube ect..

Valvoline does a great job of doing what a motor oil is supposed to do which is providing low wear. They have proven that moly or titanium isn't nessasary to provide low wear. Different A/W additives are just different ends to the same mean.

Originally Posted By: donnyj08
You have to remember the general public doesn't research anti-wear additives like us BITOGers. Most likely have no idea about which oils have moly or not. They use oils that are popular or that are used by their local tire shop/quick lube ect..

Valvoline does a great job of doing what a motor oil is supposed to do which is providing low wear. They have proven that moly or titanium isn't nessasary to provide low wear. Different A/W additives are just different ends to the same mean.

+1 Well said, moly seems to be the deciding factor for many on Bitog, but that's not the case for the general public.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back