Scag commercial mower oil change

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've recently been helping my Grandfather take care of his farm. I've been doing maintenance on his machines as well as mowing fields.

He has a Scag 3-wheel commercial riding mower with a 22HP Kohler Command V-Twin. This machine has the same engine as my 25 HP John Deere, just 3 less HP. I run PP 5w30 and a motorcraft filter year round on my Deere (it has a snowblower also) and change it every 100 hours.

The hour meter on the Scag is not functioning. It gets used about 10 hours every weekend for the entire season. Most of the grass is dry although some spots are thick and wet along the edges of the field.

What oil and filter should I use? I've had good luck with the motorcraft FL-910S on my Deere. What would be the advantages of using a HDEO over a PCMO like Pennzoil Platinum? These engines require a 30 grade for the hydraulic lifters. I appreciate the input, and any oil and filter combo would probably be cheaper than what the local dealer was charging him.
thumbsup2.gif

Rotella 10w30 (Walmart) then go on the Fram filter site and find several possibilities with the cross reference.

I would call a local distributor (G.H Berlin or Dennison Lubes serve CT) for a pail of any tractor/small engine 10W30, save money and trips to WM.

Rotella 10w30. I get mine at the local home improvement store (white jug). Wal-Mart also may carry it in the silver jug (T5 syn-blend).

I run it on a 125 hour interval on a 1996 John Deere 425 AWS (24 hp liquid cooled Kawasaki v-twin), with a Purolator Classic filter.

Took the valve covers off at 2,200 hours to replace the gaskets and found no deposits, and just a hint of varnish.

Apparently, this oil is doing everything that it needs to do for me.... so I run it in all of my outdoor equipment, and in one of the pickups.

I'd be all about a diesel 10w-30, you get the added zddp and it can probably hold the soot and other combustion byproducts in suspension better.

Ideally, you want to use the Kohler engine oil. I would use a filter designed for the small engine, either Kohler or Stein.

Originally Posted By: jeepman3071
I've recently been helping my Grandfather take care of his farm. I've been doing maintenance on his machines as well as mowing fields.

He has a Scag 3-wheel commercial riding mower with a 22HP Kohler Command V-Twin. This machine has the same engine as my 25 HP John Deere, just 3 less HP. I run PP 5w30 and a motorcraft filter year round on my Deere (it has a snowblower also) and change it every 100 hours.

The hour meter on the Scag is not functioning. It gets used about 10 hours every weekend for the entire season. Most of the grass is dry although some spots are thick and wet along the edges of the field.

What oil and filter should I use? I've had good luck with the motorcraft FL-910S on my Deere. What would be the advantages of using a HDEO over a PCMO like Pennzoil Platinum? These engines require a 30 grade for the hydraulic lifters. I appreciate the input, and any oil and filter combo would probably be cheaper than what the local dealer was charging him.
thumbsup2.gif

I ran heavy-duty and or diesel rated engine oils in all my Kohlers; K-series, Command V-twin and Courage V-twin. I used 5w40 or 15w40. Obviously 30wt HDEOs are fine too. I also used Motorcraft FL400 sized filters in various brands.

Like stated in the post above, Kohler branded 10w30 is supposedly formulated for small air cooled engines.

I've found nothing special with Kohler, Stens, etc.. engine oil filters with respect to specs and construction that would make me want to use them exclusively.

Thanks for the recommendations so far!

The Kohler filters are way overpriced and the construction doesn't seem to be top notch in my opinion. Our Deere gets run pretty hard and the motorcrafts I cut apart looked good. For $3.27 you can't really beat it.

I did see the Kohler oil at Tractor Supply Co and wondered what made it different from other oils. How would it compare to say Rotella T5?

The Kohler oil wasn't that expensive considering the dealership was charging him $14 a quart for "bulk 10w30" which could be anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back