thermoquiet vs proact pads

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: surfstar
These front rotors are notorious for warping, OEM, aftermarket, doesn't matter it seems.

Really? I've never heard that before and your 2005 VUE appears to use the same front rotors as our 2007.

When I put the ThermoQuiets on at 59,500, it was prompted by a combination of warped rotors (i.e. runout) and worn out pads. But the rotor thickness and overall condition was good enough that despite those who said I should replace them, I had them turned and everything is working perfectly.

Originally Posted By: barlowc
These front rotors are notorious for warping, OEM, aftermarket, doesn't matter it seems.

Really? I've never heard that before and your 2005 VUE appears to use the same front rotors as our 2007.

When I put the ThermoQuiets on at 59,500, it was prompted by a combination of warped rotors (i.e. runout) and worn out pads. But the rotor thickness and overall condition was good enough that despite those who said I should replace them, I had them turned and everything is working perfectly.

Google: "vue rotor warp site:saturnfans.com"

Maybe its more prevalent in pre-07 models.

I bought the car used ~18 months ago and it is most noticeable when braking from freeway speeds. I'm hoping that it was more due to the previous owner, and figure a new set of pads and fresh rotors should solve it - we'll see! (DIY so I'll slap on a new pair of rotors for a couple bucks more than turning the originals with 100k on them)

DIY so I'll slap on a new pair of rotors for a couple bucks more than turning the originals with 100k on them)

Ah, yes, I would do the same at 100K. At 60K, I opted to pay the $8/rotor and get the two turned and put on new pads. It may end up proving to be the wrong decision, and if so, lesson learned and I'll do it "right" next time.

Given my experience with the ceramic ThermoQuiets on our VUE, I would recommend them for yours. Quiet, smooth, clean, and I'd say the stopping power/performance is as good as new.

Thinking of ordering some Wagner Thermoquiets for my Saturn Vue (w/ rebate for sure!).

Q: Any difference in ceramic vs semi-metallic for a daily driver in regards to rotor warping? These front rotors are notorious for warping, OEM, aftermarket, doesn't matter it seems.

Rockauto lists OE as ceramic.

thanks

Do not read too much into the stereotypical differences between ceramic and metallic. There are high performance semi-metallic that stop well and dust like crazy, and others with less grip that last forever. The same applies to ceramics. It depends on the particular brake pad in question. If the rotors warp, it has to do with brake pad material being deposited on the rotor. If you see this happen, try to break in the brakes or change the brake pad compound, after turning or replacing the rotors.

I'll chime in and say I didn't like the Thermoquiets I had on the front of the Jeep for a few thousand miles. They stopped decently, but not great. They dusted a decent bit, it was just light colored so it wasn't noticeable. In addition, they glazed over really easily if you drove them too gently. Plus, they don't like heat. I got them hot enough to fade to almost nothing once, and when I pulled them off, they had a few deep cracks in them, presumably from heat.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back