MMO for Saab 9-3 Turbo - Cold Start Whine

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 2001 Saab 9-3 SE Turbo with about 120K on it. This winter I started noticing a fairly loud whining noise that only occurs after a cold start (car sitting overnight). It begins about 5-10 seconds after the engine has started and lasts about 1-2 minutes. It also seems to be temp. dependent because I noticed it less during a recent warm spell. I initially thought it was related to the serpentine belt / tensioner, but I had those replaced in the meantime, and I'm now wondering if it is sludge related. I also noticed there is a very slow leak from the distributor hole plug, although I think that may predate the whining noise. For most of the Saab's life Mobil 1 has been used. However, based on some probably bad advice, the last 2-3 oil changes used regular oil. Several weeks ago I changed the oil and used M1 0W-40, which it seems most people with older Saabs use. At that time I also used a coat hanger to scrape inside the bottom of the oil pan, and didn't see any evidence of sludge. The noise still occurs with the OW-40 and the slow leak is still there as well (although I plan to address this w/some high-temp silicone). I described the noise to the mechanic at the shop where I had the belt change done, and he suggested trying MMO before doing anything more involved such as dropping the oil pan. Is MMO suitable for my engine, and assuming yes, how much should I use and how long should I leave it in? I'd rather not wait until the next oil change, so I'm planning to remove an equal volume of oil before adding the MMO.

Thanks,

Dan

I'd go with something attached to the serpentine belt such as an alternator or power steering pump before going with sludge on a maintained engine.

Pull the valve cover/oil sump and see if the engine is sludged...Saabs have a reputation for this problem. The whine could be the oil trying to pass through the oil pump screen cold.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Donald
MMO is not suitable for your engine. FInd the real problem which is probably not sludge related.

+1 MMO will not repair the problem.

Originally Posted By: cchase
I'd go with something attached to the serpentine belt such as an alternator or power steering pump before going with sludge on a maintained engine.

That's what I'm thinking.

I have to agree with the rest of the BITOGers above. Why assume this is engine related? It's probably an accessory. Power steering would be my guess too.

I'm no mechanic and I don't play one on TV either, but this sounds like something mechanical complaining about the cold temps. I don't see it being oil related either.

Thanks for the feedback. Based on the responses it sounds like I should hold off on trying MMO. I figured it was engine related since replacing the belt/tensioner didn't fix the issue, but I didn't consider an accessory running off the belt. Does anybody have any tips for identifying which one it could be? I'm finding it difficult since the noise does not last that long and only happens after the car has been sitting overnight. If in the end I do decide to try MMO, could it have a negative effect? There was one poster that said it's not suitable for my engine, but I would be interested in hearing more opinions.

Originally Posted By: Dan_O
Thanks for the feedback. Based on the responses it sounds like I should hold off on trying MMO. I figured it was engine related since replacing the belt/tensioner didn't fix the issue, but I didn't consider an accessory running off the belt. Does anybody have any tips for identifying which one it could be? I'm finding it difficult since the noise does not last that long and only happens after the car has been sitting overnight. If in the end I do decide to try MMO, could it have a negative effect? There was one poster that said it's not suitable for my engine, but I would be interested in hearing more opinions.

You can start by removing the belt and running the engine for a short period of time [you don't want to overheat it] and seeing if the noise is gone. Then turn the engine off if and see if there is any play in any of the accessory pulleys. Then spin each one if possible, and listen for any odd noises. I've diagnosed bad pollution pumps, alternators, and other accessories over the years using this method.

Try it and report back.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint

You can start by removing the belt and running the engine for a short period of time [you don't want to overheat it] and seeing if the noise is gone. Then turn the engine off if and see if there is any play in any of the accessory pulleys. Then spin each one if possible, and listen for any odd noises. I've diagnosed bad pollution pumps, alternators, and other accessories over the years using this method.

Try it and report back.

This works OK for some problems, but in other cases you can not spin the pulley fast enough

Originally Posted By: Donald

Try it and report back.

This works OK for some problems, but in other cases you can not spin the pulley fast enough

Exactly, which is why I said spin them if possible. Sometimes you don't have to spin them at all, you can detect, play or wobble just by moving them side to side or up and down. Other times you can hear noise just turning them, or feel something isn't right. Its worth a try and costs nothing.

It's a timing chain.

I'm glad you found the problem! It's certainly something cleaning additives weren't going to fix.

Originally Posted By: morris
OW-40 on a turbo engine? you made the mistake you figure it out.

what is so surprising here? Ordinary grade for turbo engines.

Try the mmo. It's cheap. Add it a couple hundred miles before you plan on changing the oil and if it helps then great,if not,keep looking but for what it costs to try why not give it a shot.

It's a timing chain.

I'm glad you found the problem! It's certainly something cleaning additives weren't going to fix.

Sorry, my fault for not posting correctly. That was a response to a question about whether I have a timing belt or chain. I'm going to be out of town for a few days, but will give removing the serpentine belt a shot when I get back to see if I can narrow down the source of the noise.

Originally Posted By: MBS500
Originally Posted By: morris
OW-40 on a turbo engine? you made the mistake you figure it out.

what is so surprising here? Ordinary grade for turbo engines.

Exactly, and what people with my model/year Saab commonly use. If someone is going to post something like that, they might want to get their facts straight first.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back