Power steering pump flush - Maxlife

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just finished flushing my power steering pump on my 1993 Ford Taurus GL, 3.0 V-6 AXOD metric tranny 155,000 miles.

About a month ago, I flushed with fresh fluid and filled with "Lucas Power steering pump" oil. Like their tranny fix, this stuff is really thick. The ole gal never really liked it. Power steering would "shudder" on turns and "whine" while at idle.

Finally, today, I pumped all that out with my little hand pump, did several drains and fills using some old Dex III I had sitting on the shelf. I would drain about 8 oz at a time, drive around the neighborhood using the cul-de-sacs to do my full lock left, full lock right, come home, drain and fill another 8 oz and do the same thing. When I was sure the old Lucas was gone, I did a repeat with Valvoline Maxlife tranny fluid in power steering pump. Ended up with almost the whole quart in the system. No more shudder and very little pump noise.

Question - this maxlife has a very strong odor. Smells strong in the pump and smells strong in the bottle. Has anyone else noticed this strong odor? Is that normal? To me at least, it's much stronger than the old dex III/M.

I had/have Valvoline Maxlife Power Steering fluid, not ATF, in my E430 for more than 6 years, it quieted down the whine when I turned the steering wheel to either left or right after then car was driven for than 10-15 minutes with OE fluid.

After 4-5 years I siphoned the reservoir and refilled with Valvoline Maxlife Power Steering fluid, it is as quiet as when the car was new.

Originally Posted By: GreeCguy
....Question - this maxlife has a very strong odor. Smells strong in the pump and smells strong in the bottle. Has anyone else noticed this strong odor? Is that normal?

Yes and yes. A very sharp smell. Much stronger than the average Dex/Merc ATF. Sounds like ML is working for you. Keep us updated.

Originally Posted By: barlowc
Yes, MaxLife DEX/MERC is some stinky stuff.

Yep. It stinks so you know it's 'working'.
smile.gif

It helps to put the system under a vacuum for a couple of hrs on some Fords.
A Mity Vac with a rubber stopper and a piece of hard plastic tubing through the stopper is a cheap way to do this job.

I can post a pic if needed, it gets rid of the whining noise in most of them.

power steering pump. i saw one wasted buy flushing it with solvant, as it was running. ie no oil. so only use the same fluid that goes in the pump.

Originally Posted By: Trav
It helps to put the system under a vacuum for a couple of hrs on some Fords.

Do you know why this is?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back