WIX 51334 [Cut Open] 2006 Hyundai Elantra

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is from my 2006 Hyundai Elantra with the 2.0L I-4 engine. It was in use for 5,500 miles with MS5K in 5W-20. This filter has a base mounted bypass valve. I acquired a few of these in a 2 for 1 swap of the Microgards that I nabbed in the MS5K specials at OR some time ago. All in all (except for the wide pleat spacing near the seam) it looks like a good filter--the canister is fairly thick unlike the Microgards.

20130324100510.jpg

20130324100526.jpg

20130324100341.jpg

20130324100313.jpg

20130324100319.jpg

20130324100326.jpg

20130324100406.jpg

Very nice quality pics! Thanx for sharing.

Looks just fine although I'm still not a big fan of the larger pleat spacing at the seam. Doesn't seem to have been an issue here.

While it looks like a decent filter, I'm always dissappointed when I see such uneven (and wide) pleat spacing. Is this a quality control issue or what?
It also seems that foreign made filters score better in this area. The pleat spacing on the Hengst (German made) filters for my Cruze are excellent as are the Denso's for my Corolla.

Why?

Originally Posted By: pbm
While it looks like a decent filter, I'm always dissappointed when I see such uneven (and wide) pleat spacing.

Yep, it absolutely would be better with more media. If they want to use less media then they really should be making the cartridge shorter, not pulling the pleats apart to stretch it around.

Bought a couple of these only the Napa Gold version on a 40% off NAPA store sale a couple weeks back. Plan on using on an 01 Civic instead of the 7317/14610 size.

Filter looks fine, wider pleat spacing at the seam pleat seems common on many filters. Looks sturdy, well made.

Thanks for the pics.

Originally Posted By: BlueOvalFitter
That looks like a great filter. I bet the engine is very clean. Did you keep a sample for a UOA?
My next oil change will be with M5K and a FRAM Ultra.

No samples on that one; I have done a few to establish a baseline and let it go from there; the same applies to my Azera. These days only the FX4 sees a regular UOA and after I have ran UOAs with MS5K equal to the PU runs that I did, I will likely stop those too, BUT by that point hopefully the information will be there for all to make better informed decisions about OCIs, Synthetics versus Conventionals, Calcium/Boron/Moly versus Calcium/Sodium/Titanium additive packs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back