the first change on the S2000

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know that 10w30 is the Honda recommendation but there are better choices out there. I used to run various syn 5w30s in mine and the UOAs all came back fine. Hondas are not picky about their oil.

I think they just specified it for 10w30 because they wanted a larger safety margin for viscosity retention, seeing as they offered a generous warranty on those considering the high HP and RPM's that car does.

Originally Posted By: Ibrahim
excellent choice and correct grade!

+1

That's a great oil you chose in the correct grade! Absolutely nothing wrong with either!
01.gif

The FST was being clearanced from my WM so i picked up the last 6 qt's of 10w30. the goal of the change was to put the correct honda oil filter on the car. it had a fram tough guard on it and i was uneasy about letting it run on there much longer.

Does the S2000 have the maintenance minder?

Castrol Edge is good stuff.

Too bad Walmart doesn't sell GC!

Mobil 1 HM 10w30 is also a good choice as is their 5w30

Maxlife Synthetic, if you can find it, is another good option.

Valvoline also makes a VR1 synthetic in 10w30, which is the same as Synpower except with blue dye and more ZDDP (at API SL levels rather than SN)

If you're using synthetic, there is nothing wrong with using 5w30 or even 0w30

Any name-brand synthetic 30 is good though

Originally Posted By: steve20
good luck with car---where is the sweet spot in the rev range?

The sweet spot for normal driving, gear changes is about 3500 rpm. As far as power 6-8k in vtec is definitly a big rush in power. It is the only Honda vtec I've ridden in / drove that the power comes on almost small turbo strong.

It's a blast. I'm loving the 30mpg too

Originally Posted By: donnyj08

The sweet spot for normal driving, gear changes is about 3500 rpm. As far as power 6-8k in vtec is definitly a big rush in power. It is the only Honda vtec I've ridden in / drove that the power comes on almost small turbo strong.

I feel the sweet spot for normal driving on not so crowded streets is around 4500-5000 RPM, on empty streets the sound of the engine screaming at 7000-8000 RPM is addicted.

On the crowded streets, I go with the traffic flow and shift at 3000-3500 RPM.

Last edited:
Most of the time I find myself changing gears at 3-3.5k. I do agree that pulling onto highways or away from highway intersections, 4-5k is generally better. I am enjoying the vtec wail. Since I have the correct filter on the car I did do a few vtec runs in 2nd an 3rd today. It's intoxicating to say the least. I generally baby it, however. I enjoy driving it normal , 3-4k rpm shifts where I drive.

You have to take a ride in a truly built B series, 190whp at 2100lbs with a 9.5k reach is scary.

I would love to take a ride in a built N/A civic. I've seen some of those cars on YouTube back in the day. They are seriously fast. I used to have a built DSM about 8 years ago and it was a blast, but I'm enjoying the amazingness of gobs of power from a N/A 4 cylinder.

I had a close friend who built a 750whp sr20det 240sx. Fully built bottom end, 10k rpm head. Gt35R big crower cams, 1600cc injectors ect ect. That car was supossed to weigh about 2500 lbs.

The first oil change since i bought the S. bought Castrol Edge FST on clearance at walmart. i changed out the oil sooner than it needed to be to get the fram filter off there and get a filtec PCX installed. here are some pics.

http://s1289.photobucket.com/user/donnyj08/library/s2000 oil?page=1

The FST 10w30 a good choice? im thinking a 7500 mile run on this fill.

Good oil but I like to run a larger oil filter like the Baldwin B202 filter, over twice as large as the stock Honda oil filter for the S. If you DD the car like I do, I have found that 235/45-17's up front with 245/45-17's out back(I'm on stock rims) get me better gas mileage and it raises the car about 3/4" so the front bumper clears most driveways so I don't scrape it or mess up the paint. The taller sidewalls of those tires softens the ride a little so the road bumps don't feel as harsh. We put 30k a year on our '06 S and most of those are on back roads that are very fun to drive in a S.
Here are some pic's of my taller tires on my S
http://s949.photobucket.com/user/rrounds/library/Taller Tires?page=1

ROD

The OE sizes are 215/45-17 Front and 245/40-17 Rear, if you like increase the side wall then you should have 215/50-17 Front instead of 235/45-17, to go with 245/45-17 Rear, so the original front-rear stagger will be the same.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back