Is Toyota 0W-20 SN made in heaven?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: theaveng
Is it possible Super Synthetic?

No, Toyota 0W-20 SN is definitely quite different than Mobil Super Synthetic; in fact, it seems to be of much higher quality. Toyota 0W-20 SN has a much higher VI and a rather different additive package. Mobil Super Synthetic has no moly for example but only titanium, unlike Castrol Edge, which has both. Toyota has moly (probably the trinuclear kind, which is the most potent).

Excelente'. Got any used oil analyses?

I can compare my Mobil 1 0w-20 versus the Toyota/mobil 0w-20 in about 20,000 miles. Carson Toyota will have quite the shocked look when I drive-up in my spacecar Honda insight.

Last edited:
Got any used oil analyses?

Not yet. @ 3.6k now, will do one @ $5k.

It will be a true test of thin oil in an old engine. I hope I won't have to run away screaming from TGMO 0W-20 SN to M1 0W-40 SN.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: Gokhan
Originally Posted By: CATERHAM
Gokhan, have you noticed any increase in oil consumption in your high mileage Corolla over the PYB 5W-20 your were running previously?

I've put about 3,500 miles so far. I just checked the oil for the first time, and the level was around 90% between the L and F marks (near F). I am estimating roughly 0.2 quarts of loss in 3,500 miles / 6 months, as it was a little over the F line originally. It's probably mostly due to a minor leak at the oil-pan seal. The answer to your question is no -- consumption, if there is any notable amount to begin with, hasn't changed.

The color is right now dark amber. Contaminants? Oxidation? I don't know.

I will do an OC and a UOA at 5k.

It's been about 5,200 miles and it leaked and/or consumed about 0.3 - 0.4 quart with Toyota 0W-20 SN. During the same interval with PYB 5W-20 conventional, the leak/consumption was slightly more, about 0.4 - 0.5 quart. Therefore, the consumption/leak is a little bit less with Toyota 0W-20. It could be due to the lower NOACK volatility of Toyota 0W-20, or its better seal conditioners, or it being a higher-quality oil in general. I think the most oil loss is happening due to a small leak at the oil-pan seal.

Originally Posted By: Gokhan
Got any used oil analyses?

Not yet. @ 3.6k now, will do one @ $5k.

It will be a true test of thin oil in an old engine. I hope I won't have to run away screaming from TGMO 0W-20 SN to M1 0W-40 SN.
smile.gif

I expect to do an oil change and send a sample for UOA this weekend. The engine has been running better than ever and it will be interesting to see the UOA results.

Originally Posted By: richL
so are there any updates?

we just bought a prius and would like to know about this TGMO 0w-20

Welcome to BITOG.

TGMO 0W-20 was specifically designed for your Prius, so that's the oil to use.

I don't have time right now to read all 22 pages of this thread but want to ask a question.

if you only had TGMO and PP to choose from which would you choose?

for me its a 2013 Honda CRV with FF still in it.

Originally Posted By: Arctic388
I don't have time right now to read all 22 pages of this thread but want to ask a question.

PP in a heartbeat. The TGMO is waaaaaaaayyyyy over rated. Probably the same hype as the "green castrol" hype. Really silly if you ask me. Besides I can't wait until all of the monkeys doing 10k OCI's on the TGMO are back at the dealer crying about sludge. PP 5w20 and 5000 OCI and your CRV will go 2-300k no issues and be clean and quiet.

Doog - thanks for the comments.

I will be using 0W20 and probably 8-10K OCI's based on the OLM. so far i am at 4700 miles ad the OLM is saying 60% life left so i am guessing it will say 10% per 1K miles.

Clearly it would be TGMO as it more closely approximates the viscosity characteristic of the Honda OEM 0W-20.
PP 0W-20 has a low viscosity index, closer to that of a 5W-20, in fact it's lower than PP 5W-20 meaning it's heavier at typical start-up temp's.

Clearly it would be TGMO as it more closely approximates the viscosity characteristic of the Honda OEM 0W-20.
PP 0W-20 has a low viscosity index, closer to that of a 5W-20, in fact it's lower than PP 5W-20 meaning it's heavier at typical start-up temp's.

An oil should not be chosen based solely on its viscosity characteristics and especially not solely on maximizing viscosity index. It is one of many important criteria. Thankfully most oils perform at least decently so choosing solely on VI will generally not result in terrible things. But to do so on that criteria alone is also not one of the most wise choices.

Originally Posted By: JAG

An oil should not be chosen based solely on its viscosity characteristics and especially not solely on maximizing viscosity index. It is one of many important criteria. Thankfully most oils perform at least decently so choosing solely on VI will generally not result in terrible things. But to do so on that criteria alone is also not one of the most wise choices.

Really, you don't think choosing to run an oil with the viscosity characteristics most closely matched to the OEM oil is not the most prudent approach to take?
Honda did not specify the 0W-20 grade for reasons of cold starting at -40 degrees but rather to be lighter at normal start-up temp's and during warm-up vs the 5W-20 grade.
As mentioned PP 0W-20 is not a good choice in that regard.

Quote:
Really, you don't think choosing to run an oil with the viscosity characteristics most closely matched to the OEM oil is not the most prudent approach to take?
Honda did not specify the 0W-20 grade for reasons of cold starting at -40 degrees but rather to be lighter at normal start-up temp's and during warm-up vs the 5W-20 grade.
As mentioned PP 0W-20 is not a good choice in that regard.

I'd try to determine that particular engine's propensity to form deposits and its propensity to reduce TBN and raise TAN, when using the OCI length the guy will use. I'd consider his climate and what the typical operating cycles will be (length of trips, idling, urban/rural, etc.). I'd consider oil cost. There may be other factors I'd consider that I haven't thought of now. Basically, I'd factor in as many important factors into the choice as I could to optimize the choice. I'll give just one example of factors and my choice. Suppose:
1. His engine is known to stay clean inside, maintain sufficient TBN and low enough TAN, even with dino oils that meet his engine's oil requirements, when using the OCI length he plans to.
2. He does mostly city driving and short trips
3. TGMO would cost him $1 more per qt. than PP and it's readily available to him.

Under those assumptions, I'd probably choose TGMO. Under some different set of assumptions, I'd probably choose some other oil, perhaps PP or PU or M1 in xW-20 viscosity grade. PU has some properties that are superior to TGMO and the reverse is also true. One should choose the oil that best suits his/her particular situation.

Welcome to BITOG.

thanks for the welcome.

i understand that TGMO was specifically called out for the Prius, but what about compared to M1 0w-20 is that i meant. another user on a previous page was supposed to provide an analysis, so i'm just wondering how it compares to m1. walmart has 5qt jugs of 0w-20 on sale right now.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
I've heard TGMO stands for Thank God it's Marvelous Oil.

Good one!

Up here Toyota Canada has priced it so competitively ($5.65/L), half the price of M1 0W-20, that it makes no financial sense to buy any other 0W-20 oil.

It is odd that TGMO's pricing in the States varies so much from dealer to dealer. From what I've heard it can be had for around 5 bucks/qt if you're negotiation skills are good.
Of course since it is now being supplied in bulk to dealers, I know some members have had some empty oil jugs filled for an even sweeter deal.

Welcome to BITOG.

thanks for the welcome.

i understand that TGMO was specifically called out for the Prius, but what about compared to M1 0w-20 is that i meant. another user on a previous page was supposed to provide an analysis, so i'm just wondering how it compares to m1. walmart has 5qt jugs of 0w-20 on sale right now.

But we are talking about what oil to use in your Prius.
M1 0W-20 is a considerably heavier oil. TGMO is about 35% lighter at 32F and still 25% so at room temp's. There is no doubt that it will provide better fuel economy over any other 0W-20 with the possible exception of the new Mazda High Moly 0W-20.

It seems to be a no_brainer to stick with the oil that was designed specifically for your car. Going with an after market oil that's only slightly cheaper but will not deliver the same gas mileage (as small as that difference might be) may be false economy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back