7.3L powerstroke, Schaeffers 9000 5w-40, high lead

Status
Not open for further replies.
Took a fourth sample of oil from my 7.3L Powerstroke. February of 2012 I installed a different engine with fewer miles in my '94 F250. I've used Schaeffers 5w-40 in the engine since I installed it to help with cold weather starting. I've been really happy with it in that regard but I have not been real happy with the high lead numbers I've seen in my UOAs. I've seen a lot of Schaeffers reports on this site that have shown high lead numbers so I'm wondering if I should try and stick with the Schaeffers a little longer and see if the numbers come down, if I should just switch to a different 5w-40 like Delo 400 LE, or just use a 15w-40 to see if the numbers come back down? I'm using a Fleetguard LF9691 venturi combo filter. This is second fill of Schaeffers I've done after I dropped the first fill after 13,800 miles. They're still pretty high but I'm kinda wondering why the moly and antimony levels dropped off so much on the fourth sample. It was different oil since I'd changed it but the jugs came out of the same box.

Mile 5100, 10200, 13800, 9650
Iron 25, 31, 37, 35
Chrm 0, 0, 1, 0
Alum 2, 1, 4, 3
Copp 6, 10, 15, 10
Lead 13, 23, 31, 35
Tin 4, 6, 7, 4
Sili 42, 37, 43, 23
Sodi 11, 12, 32, 10
Pot 0, 5, 5, 1
Moly 327, 330, 362, 118
Anti 275, 283, 266, 70
Boro 4, 2, 6, 1
Magn 762, 801, 837, 837
Calc 1204, 1224, 1291, 1191
Bari 1, 0, 1, 0
Phos 1028, 953, 1078, 1036
Zinc 1199, 1253, 1317, 1241

Fuel .1%, Soot Visc 13.1, 13.6, 13.8, 12.8
TBN 5.59, 5.87, 6.06, 5.29
Oxid 11, 13, 11, 15
Nitr 7, 9, 7, 9

Schaeffers is really good stuff.

I'm thinking that whatever is going on it is pretty linear.
The UOA that you went 5,800 miles is half the number of lead that the one you went 10,000 miles on.

You could either switch oils to see if that would reduce the amount of lead. However, from what I have read of UOA's I don't see anything wrong. If lead was in the 100+ there would be an issue.

All those numbers look pretty good, especially for a 13,000 mile run.

If cold-starts are your issue next winter, or now, switch to a 10w-30. I've heard of this happening with synthetic oil leaching the solder out of the oil cooler.

Overall it looks as if everything else is holding up quite well with the miles you're putting on the oil.

Two thoughts here ...

1) I have not paid much attention to the VOAs for the 9000 series; is there any Pb in there?

2) You put in a (presumably) used engine? Was it a reman, a rebuild, or a straight drop-in and run? Is it possible the Pb issue was present before the use of Schaeffers?

You've generally had great results from Service Pro; why not try a load of that and see if things settle down? Perhaps run a flushing OCI with your next lube, and then do yet another run with a UOA?

Also, know that the 7.3L PSD will shed a bit more metals that some of the other light-duty diesels. You cannot really compare them to something such as a Dmax and expect wear that low; it's just not in their lineage.

Last edited:
It was a basically a used engine that I installed with some new parts. Changed out front and rear oil seals, pulled the pan and did new bearings. I tried to reseal the oil cooler that came with the engine but it had some issues and wanted to leak when it got even a little cold so I reinstalled the oil cooler from the engine I took out. I kinda thought 30ppm lead would be a condemnation point but most on here don't seem to worry about it too much. If I continue to run this oil and resample, what point should I drain it? Mainly, at what point would lead be too high?

In the technical data sheet for the 9000 5w40 oil Schaeffer listed the typical properties as tested and it included the Cummins Bench Corrosion Test. The average copper increase is 8ppm and lead increase is 27ppm so you are about par for the course. Schaeffer claims that it meets many truck specs so I would not worry.

I've since lots of UOA here where lead is in the single digits when other oils are used but when Schaeffer's oil is used it will climb to the double digits. This happened to me and I switched oils. Whether it is normal or not I didn't feel comfortable using it. That is not to say Schaeffer's isn't a good oil just in my 7.3L it wasn't working like I had hoped. Just my two cents.

Yeah, I'm kinda thinking the same thing now. I'd seen that Cummins bench test corrosion test that showed the higher lead and copper numbers but never completely understood what it represented. I'm not real thrilled with the higher lead numbers either. I'll probably try and run the oil in my sump a little longer, retest in another 5-7000 miles and see what it looks like then. When I end up draining it I'll probably just switch to a Rotella T6 or Delo 400 LE and see what that does.

Originally Posted By: sdan27
I'd seen that Cummins bench test corrosion test that showed the higher lead and copper numbers but never completely understood what it represented.

The copper and lead numbers are probably more due to chelation than engine wear. Your numbers are so low that I personally would not worry about it. The 7.3L PSD is a very strong motor and I have one in my 02 Excursion.

Originally Posted By: azsynthetic
In the technical data sheet for the 9000 5w40 oil Schaeffer listed the typical properties as tested and it included the Cummins Bench Corrosion Test. The average copper increase is 8ppm and lead increase is 27ppm so you are about par for the course. Schaeffer claims that it meets many truck specs so I would not worry.

Agreed.

Am I reading the fuel % correctly?

The problem with higher Cu and PB, especially if it's coming from chelation, is that can mask the onset of true bearing wear.

Pablo and I have had this disagreement for years about Amsoil in Dmax engines (and other brands as well).

If you get high Cu and Pb readings that persist due to chemistry, then you'll not see the subtle but important trending when a true bearing issue is developing. By the time it would usurp the higher readings from chelation, you'd be well into the problem.

The whole point of doing UOAs is to find the onset of abnormal wear so that you can make solid decisions early on, not discover it after it's well rooted in it's evil.

And I'm not the only one who sees this as an issue:
http://www.machinerylubrication.com/Read/646/copper-diesel-engine-oil
Read the whole article, but I'll pull this quote out:
"As such, higher concentrations of copper from cooler core leaching and coolant leaks may mask more serious sources of copper associated with wear."

What is important to note is also the particle size and concentration. Also from that article; same paragraph:
"Copper from wear debris will rarely produce concentrations greater than 50 ppm, in fact, 10 ppm to 20 ppm would be more typical."
You see, the onset of wear does not immediately jump into hundreds of ppm; it often manifests at much smaller concentrations. Also, as the article notes, the UOAs only see a fraction of the total wear; they see perhaps 5-10% of wear particles, as an estimate. So, if your lube choice skews the data by 20 or 30ppm, you have lost all sense of the ability to detect shifts that would otherwise be attributed to wear. IOW - you cannot hear the bells tolling in the symphony when standing in the cacophony of the roar of the cannons. That is why we need wear data as steady and low as possible; we are looking for small changes, before they become big problems!

Are you staring to see the relevance of the problem?

Now, it is common for this problem to subside over time. After the normalization of the new chemistry package with the engine, the numbers will settle down. And you have two choices to make this happen. One way or another, you have to run a few OCIs (anywhere from two to five) to get this condition to subside. So ...
1) you endure the chelation as it settles naturally. This will take time; often tens of thousands of miles, because you are not going to OCI until other condtions would dictate (soot, Fe, etc). This makes for a LONG exposure for the blindness in Cu and Pb; the risk is high that you'd experience an issue over that long, multiple OCI "normalization" period.
2) you do a few OCI flushes with your lube choice, perhaps 2-3k miles each, about three times. The advantage to this is that you'll be through that normaliation quickly; perhaps 7-10k miles and it will pass. But those are a lot of EXPENSIVE OCIs, dumping premium lubes every 2-3k miles! All to force the quick normalization pathway whilst throwing out perfectly good lubes.

That's quite a conundrum, isn't it? Endure tens-of-thousands of miles of potential blindness to wear, or dump perfectly good oil for successive OCIs?

I am NOT saying that Schaeffers is a bad lube. I never said that about Amsoil either. Or RL or RP, or any other lube that creates this condition. And while it is predominant in reaction to some synthetics, it has occasionally happend even with dino lubes, at least in Dmax engines. But the preponderance is by far a reaction to certain chemistries in premium syns. I'm not a chemist; I cannot tell you the specific reason as to why it happens. I'm a statistical quality process engineer; I can most assuredly speak to wear results and how they are skewed by this phenomenon. Go back and read my article about UOA normalcy ... you'll start to understand why this is such a problem as I see it.

It is also fair to note that this chelation issue is not to be construed to be real wear or anything that would hurt the engine. In itself it is not damaging. It can certianly mask damage, but it does not create it.

You see - in simple terms - this isn't a matter of the lube harming the engine; that is not the case at all. It's a matter of the skewed data masking the onset of wear from other issues; true problems won't be seen until they are well into fruition, if you endure these abnormally elevated Cu and Pb readings from chelation.

Rather, what I state is that there is risk in using a lube when it creates a condition such as this, as you are risking the action of covering up the very problems you're trying to detect. So you get to choose: endure the problem, or waste good fluid.

You have one other alternative as well:
Use a lube that does not create this condition in the first place.

Sdan27, it's up to you; you're no novice to the world of UOAs. You can make an educated choice and decide which is your path to take. If this were a pristine engine that showed no former signs of wear, I'd just chalk this up to chelation and perhaps endure the risk. But you have an engine you just swapped in, and did some minor work to. You really have no idea if this is abnormal wear, abnormal chemistry, or a combination of the two in some yet-to-be-determined ratio.

Originally Posted By: dnewton3
The problem with higher Cu and PB, especially if it's coming from chelation, is that can mask the onset of true bearing wear.

Only if there is a concensus on what is a high number for Cu and PB in an UOA. The OP numbers are average based on UOAs from the trucking industries. It is within the Cummins specs and I suspect others.

Only if there is a concensus on what is a high number for Cu and PB in an UOA. The OP numbers are average based on UOAs from the trucking industries. It is within the Cummins specs and I suspect others.

For a 7.3 the numbers are elevated.

Originally Posted By: roadrunner1

For a 7.3 the numbers are elevated.

Yes and I'd add this ...

Wear rates and wear totals (condemnation limits) are two important but distinctly different issues. The Pb in this last UOA is not at a point of being condemed, but it's a higher rate than I'd want. Same goes for Cu.

Macro analysis tells us this is a bit high for Cu and Pb. Micro analysis cannot be used because there is no enough data.

Problem is this:
It's a refereshed engine (take out from a donor and has new bearings). There is no real history for this individual unit as the inputs have been reset with new parts. We really don't know how much is break-in, how much is possible chelation, how much is even due to poor installation alignment, etc.

I would ditch the syns and run a few inexpensive OCI dino flushes, and set a base-line. Then once established, one could experiment with the syn alternatives.

Last edited:

I would ditch the syns and run a few inexpensive OCI dino flushes, and set a base-line. Then once established, one could experiment with the syn alternatives.

The 7.3L PSD oil change is 15qts each time so there is really no inexpensive flushes. Also, the OP is running an OCI that is 2 to 3x the factory recommend OCI so all bets should be off or at the minimum parlay.

I'm getting some cheap Fram filters next week and then I'll drain the Schaeffers and refill with the Service Pro 15w-40 bulk oil we use on our farm. I'll do a couple 5000 miles OCI that way. Might do a analysis on the second fill and then hopefully switch back to a 5w-40 next fall/winter when it gets cold again. Probably a Delo or Rotella that I can get easy at Wal-Mart. I like being able to start my Powerstroke in single digits with no romping.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back