4L60E sunshell replacement?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is it possible for an average DIY'er to replace the sunshell in these units? I've heard its a weak spot in the 4L60E and I'm planning to replace it as preventative maintenance. Probably looking at replacing the 2/4 band clutch also. I'm not planning to heavily overhaul the transmission but I'm wanting to not remove too many parts if possible (valve body, clutch plates, snap rings, etc.)

while transmissions are the only thing we do not rebuild 'in house' with our fleet, we still do enough of them to remember the ole 4L60E's!

This: http://www.summitracing.com/parts/tci-373900?seid=google&gclid=CKWt_qrHjbYCFQs4nAodzXAAzA

They also have other beefed parts, do it right and it lasts forever. We actually had very little problems with ours, but i blew up the one in my Impala SS about 3 times before I finally had it professionally rebuilt with aftermarket stuff. It was fine then even behind a 409 stroker!

Yeah...the 4l60s in our Caprice 9C-1s didn't hold up too long. I don't recall any of them making it close to 100K. I think 60K was the norm. It would have been cool to get a heavy duty rebuild, but IIRC we just got rebuilds from GM.

In before the haters start heading in here saying how tough the 4l60's are...I must have seen 50 of these disasters in my ONE year as a service advisor at a GMC/Buick/Caddy dealership.

The answer to the question is that you have to take the transmission completely apart to get at it, so unless you are experienced at transmission work (not a typical DIY-er as you specified) and equipped to do this particular one, the answer is no.

It's not something I would attempt.

That said, the original 4L60E in my truck went 200k and it didn't die from the sun shell.

The second 4L60E went 130k and also did not die from the sun shell.

Neither had any fluid changes and going from D to R and R to D while the truck was moving was the rule, not the exception.

Originally Posted By: dwcopple
In before the haters start heading in here saying how tough the 4l60's are...I must have seen 50 of these disasters in my ONE year as a service advisor at a GMC/Buick/Caddy dealership.

+1 The Chevy truck dealer where I bought 2 of my Suburbans actually had an in house "expert" rebuilder who would do the whole job for $1500. He was with them for 25 years and would do 3-4 of them a week aside from his normal duties. I thought that was a bit unusual to actually have enough trans failures to keep a full time employee on it. As for the OP, find a guy who has done 1000 of them and then get all of the heavy duty aftermarket parts and have it done right.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: wirelessF
Is it possible for an average DIY'er to replace the sunshell in these units? I've heard its a weak spot in the 4L60E and I'm planning to replace it as preventative maintenance. Probably looking at replacing the 2/4 band clutch also. I'm not planning to heavily overhaul the transmission but I'm wanting to not remove too many parts if possible (valve body, clutch plates, snap rings, etc.)

Not really a DIY project.

You did not inb4 correctly, therefor your argument is invalid
grin.gif

Seriously though, I would never attempt to rebuild any part of an automatic transmission myself. They are just too complicated, I'll swap one out myself if it's a RWD car (like our jeep was) but I'll leave the actual rebuild to a pro.

Side note, is this what could be going on with Js 4L60E?

IIRC, my POS Safari has a 4L60E. It also says that anything 1992 and later was a 4L60E as opposed to a 4L60, and that the E was dropped when everything went electrical anyways.

I myself was planning a fluid swap with 30%-50% Royal Purple Trans MAX fluid. I found the line going to the radiator and it should be a cinch. Adviseable? It shifts fine, but I don't like 200k virgin fluid. Want to change it.

Originally Posted By: Doog
keep a full time employee on it.
Our trans guy made a small fortune off those. Book time is like 20hrs on an R&R for one. He could do them in 6-7hrs tops. He bought a huge boat by mid-summer with supercharged twin 454's in it and had no problem affording the gas to feed it.

Originally Posted By: Nick R

You did not inb4 correctly, therefor your argument is invalid
grin.gif

Seriously though, I would never attempt to rebuild any part of an automatic transmission myself. They are just too complicated, I'll swap one out myself if it's a RWD car (like our jeep was) but I'll leave the actual rebuild to a pro.

Side note, is this what could be going on with Js 4L60E?

Is this newer ones?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: millerbl00
So I may have problems with the 4L60E in my 2012 Silverado?

Relax, man. We had a ton of these in Silverados and NO issues. The only one I blew up was in my Impala SS at the strip! Remember you never hear anything from the many thousands of customers who never had an issue.

Your 2012 has numerous updates and will last a long time behind that 4.3 V6!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: millerbl00
So I may have problems with the 4L60E in my 2012 Silverado?

Just keep it maintained, i wouldn't worry about it at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back