Auto RX progress report on BMW

Status
Not open for further replies.
Put in Auto-RX about 600 miles ago in my 95 BMW 525i with 115,000 miles. Note the car uses no oil with no observable leaks,

M1 5w40 truck and suv oil already had 1,500 miles before I changed the filter and added Auto-RX.

I did a blotter test before the RX and at 600 miles. I noticed a slight increase in darkening on the blotter. I assume this is expected even without the RX. The car runs great. Seems stronger with slightley better fuel economy. However, it is cooler here in central KY and AC is used less. That always affects my car in a positive way.

Anyway, just my initial experience.

BTW, I have recomended it on the BMW forums. Interestingly, I get about a 50/50 comments about anything like this is "snake oil" and comments that they tried it and it worked great.I have also recommended they check Auto-RX out on Frank's web site and this forum.

Keep us posted.

I have about 500 miles to go (M1 0w40) in the clean phase in my 528i - it'll probably take a couple of months to reach 1500. I've seen only normal darkening of the oil.

The good thing with these motors is the ability to inspect the oil filter cartridge when replaced. Let us know what the filter looks like at the end of the clean. I, for one, would appreciate your report.

Is there any advantage to going more than 1500 miles on the first phase of an Auto-RX treatment?

I am currently at 900 miles into the treatment. Car runs well, do not see any real change in performace and seem to have normal darkening of oil. TIA

There is no advantage Auto-Rx chemistry is pretty much depleted in 2500 miles of cleaning phase.Follow the application format please and post again.

Frank, I'm a little confused about chemistry depletion in 2500, vice the instructions regarding a "completion" phase. If I read the website correctly, it appears the "completion" phase calls for a 2nd short OCI on dino before going back to your prefered oil. Why is this necesary if the ARX chedmistry is all used up anyway?

I'll have to go back and re-read the paper instruction I rcvd w/my ARX, but after the first reading I was initially under the impression that the rinse phase prety much concluded the treatment. Can you plz clarify?

Tks...

In most cases the ARX has loaded and encapsulated its maximum in 1500 miles. ARX also relies on the host oils ability to carry away the ARX/ contamination volume away to the filter media. When this process stops, ARX is still working, however the tendancy of the host oil is that that the rinsing has stopped. This is the reason for the rinse phase. ARX has impregnated deposits that have not been rinsed out of the motor during the cleaning phase. This is also why simple dino works best in the rinse phase. Simple dino, with no polar properties is a great receptor for deposits to be rinsed out of the system by.

In a relatively clean motor, the cleaning cycle could be extended. However, directions of use must be written to include sludged motors, high mileage motors, ect. And most importantly be done in a safe manner, while cleaning on the fly.

So what is the deal with step 5, Completion Phase:

"Oil and filter should next be changed between
2,000 and 3,000 miles."

This sounds like another 2k mi. on dino. I mean, why would I put in expensive synthetic if it is only going 2-3k mi.?

acewiza, the 2000 miles phase is the rinsing phase and it is imperitive that dino oil is used for this so that the cleaned seals are allowed to swell and reseat themselves. the rinse phase also takes care of the left over ARX/sludge stuff that was cleaned. i believe the ARX website explains this better than i.

Noticed when I pulled into the garage after work I heard a clicking/ticking noise at idle with no air on. Not sure if it is belt/idler or lifter related or what.

However, I understand you can have odd sounds as cleaning takes place with Auto-RX. I am about 1,000 miles into phase one. I will monitor it.

BTW, I use Mahle german oil filters. Believe the same as OEM BMW filters.

Surfstar: Read the instructions on the website. I am not talking about the "rinse" phase. Im talking about sterp 5, "completion phase." Frank, if you would please!?

The "Completion Phase" is just the tail end of the rinse phase - that point in mileage (between 2000-3000 miles) when you dump the rinse oil.

quote:

Originally posted by acewiza:
Surfstar: Read the instructions on the website. I am not talking about the "rinse" phase. Im talking about sterp 5, "completion phase." Frank, if you would please!?

I tend to agree that the "rinse" phase and the "completion" phase section of the Auto-RX site can be a bit confusing. If it were me and it isn't, I would just drop the "completion" word since it could seems redundant.

Russell, if you re looking for a cheaper but adequate filter, try Auto-Zone STP filters. I have been using the 2870A in my 528es without issues.

Thanks. However, I usually buy several Mahle or Mann filters at a time from BMA in Ca. for about $5 each. However, I will check the STP filter out. Also, the 1995 525i does not use a can type of filter under the engine. It uses a "drop in" filter on top of the engine.

BTW, I think I am going to use Havoline (sp?) 10w40 in my ARX rinse phase. It is less that $2 a quart at my local autozone

I just started the Auto-RX Rinse phase today. I put in six quarts of Havoline 10w40 non-synthetic oil in my 95 BMW 525i after 15,000 mile of using Auto-RX with Mobil 1 T&SUV synthetic.

No real change in the way the car has run. I am averaging almost 24 MPG of mixed city & 2 lane roads, up a bit perhaps due to cooler weather. EPA is 18 and 25 on this engine. I am quite pleased.

I cut the canister/open type oil filter apart. It fits in a canister/container on top of the engine. I only found small amounts of varying sizes of black specks. Not very much. I understand this is quite typical of the first phase, especially when I had mobil 1 5w40 T&SUV in the first phase.

I will report after the rinse.

Also, I did notice the oil filter canister area was quite clean looking. No amber varnish staining, just clean metal

Just a quick follow-up. Even though I let the old warm oil drain for an hour. I started the car and let it run a few minutes to circulate the oil. Then I did a blotter test to see what the new oil looked like with zero miles. I wiped the dipstick before testing. Was I surprised. The new Havoline 10w40 was almost as dark as the oil (on the dipstick and the blotter) I just removed. Does the rinse phase have that quick of an impact?

With about 300 miles left in the cleaning phase on my '99 528i, my experience is consistent with your observations. I did a "check" of the oil filter and also noticed how clean the filter "nest" was - almost looked like polished aluminum.

I had a bit of the small black specks also. They appeared to be gritty, but if I rubbed them between my fingers they smeared. Others have commented about seeing "globs" in the filter. Would you characterize what you saw as "grit" or "globs"? Just curious....

It looked like grit. I did not rub the particles. I still have the filter.I will do more "testing" later. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back